Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Will you trade up to "D"?

Will you be trading in for "D"?

• No, I'm happy right now

Votes: 160 56.1%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a 60D (near future)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a 85D (near future)

Votes: 22 7.7%
  • Yes I'm placing my order for a P85D (near future)

Votes: 40 14.0%
  • Maybe after they start delivering them (7+ months)

Votes: 52 18.2%
  • I'm trading up for autopilot now! (Near future)

Votes: 11 3.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85D order already placed.

I had said I'd only ever consider trading up if Tesla offered a Model S with:
1. AWD
2. Collision avoidance
3. Improved sports seats

They announced all three at once Thursday night. It was very much a "Shut up and take my money!" moment.

Good God, $14,000 so I can get to 60 MPH, .7 of a second quicker . I think I will just leave the house a few seconds sooner. Love my Plano 85.
What options did you get on your car?

- - - Updated - - -

1. AWD
2. Collision avoidance
3. Improved sports seats

They announced all three at once Thursday night. It was very much a "Shut up and take my money!" moment.
For those that are freaking out about what to do with their old vehicle, it sounds like you might be a good voice of calmness. What is your current plan for 03278?

1. AWD
2. Collision avoidance
3. Improved sports seats

And if you now have #03278 you will also be upgrading to folding mirrors, parking sensors, maybe even the winter package?

Tempting, but not necessary in my case. I think the most likely candidates for an upgrade are:

• Those who've been waiting for a Model X simply because it has AWD.

• Those who wished they'd ordered their first Model S with more options and a bigger battery than they did.

I'd be quite happy if I could purchase the new front seats for my 2013 P85, in addition to getting the rear suspension upgraded to the (pre-D) 2014 P85 specification. Some of the parts back there were upgraded since my car was built.

As tempting as the upgrade to a D is, I got along just fine last winter in Vermont with RWD. I even took the car skiing several times. Never got stuck. It's worth considering that there's a lot of new hardware on the D that's yet to be proven long-term. The braking system is entirely new and incorporates fewer calipers per rotor than the previous Brembo system. First, I'd like to see a few thousand of these cars with 10,000+ miles on them. Consumer Reports should have another go at it.

We will trade our P85+ for the new P85D. Placed an order at the event in LA on Thursday.

By the way, the new seats are fantastic. They finally feel and look like something you would expect in a car that costs this much. Still not Panamera or AMG nice but very close. Actually, compared to Panamera Turbo S or even a regular Turbo, P85D is a much better value.

FWIW, I have early (23 months old right now) MS, and I think it is WAY EARLY to even consider upgrade. Wouldn't even think about it until higher capacity battery shows up. Right now I have a car that cost me 30k less than my guess for fully equipped D. I'd have to eat depreciation plus 30k, and for what? The sensors and auto pilot capability? No. Faster off the line? No. AWD. That's real value add in Chicago, but wait until there's more battery too. Plus, I want a it to be roadster orange!

It's like an iPhone upgrade, new incremental features but nothing revolutionary. We all want the latest and greatests which will cost you in the technology age. I'd say if they release fully automated driving and bigger battery, that would be like the introduction of iPad and definitely must have. I'll be patient and wait.

As I have ordered a model X I expect to get all the 'goodies' in 1 1/2 year or so.

A larger battery for the would certainly cause me to give up my current Model S for a new one. I do a lot of long distance trips in Germany. Big difference if I need 1 or 2 SC visits to get to my destination.

Also considering the higher top speed, this is really going to cost range. If you use it.

A big thing in our state is the sales tax. We just paid $6500 sales tax and if we don't trade our car into Tesla then we would have to pay that once again. Even if tesla would take our current car as a trade in they wouldn't give us what I would want for it or what we could get for it selling it privately.

Our best hope at this point is that the radar and front camera would be retrofittable. I highly doubt the AWD would be retrofit mainly because of the massive change in braking system and some frame modifications that I'm sure would be necessary too.

Seriously considering upgrading our Jan 13 S85 to an S85D with all the trimmings. The active safety features were something I wanted from day one, and I feel it's worth it to always have the safest car available when possible. Though this time, I think we're going to do a lease since it seems like Tesla is determined to make major technology changes on a pretty regular basis.

Voice of reason - I've had my P85+ for a little over a year and not planning to upgrade for another 2 years or so. Would hope bigger battery by then and further "maturation" of the electric motor experience. And now that the "+" moniker has been phased out, I've got a more unique model...