Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Other...Updates" (to the Model S, aside from 'D')

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other Product Updates
Our commitment to continuous improvement extends to other features of Model S, and we have recently made several updates to the car. The following features are either in production or will be delivered with Dual Motor Model S (as indicated).

• Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection
  • Improvements for a quieter cabin (Confirmed, anecdotal)
  • Wider rear door opening (Confirmed)
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror (Confirmed)
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard (Confirmed)
  • Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity (Confirmed)
  • Updated steering column control module (Confirmed)
  • Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad (Confirmed)

From the latest blog entry on the TESLAMOTORS.COM:

http://www.teslamotors.com/blog/dual-motor-model-s-and-autopilot

Edit: All the items marked as confirmed have been confirmed in this post or elsewhere on the forum.

Thanks to Breser and others for their input. Breser's Post.

Last edited:
I wonder if the new sun visors are finally lit?
Love the idea of the electric chargeport.
Wider Rear Door Opening? Sounds like a major structural change.
Looksl like all those dynamat postings finally caught somebody's attention...

I've often wished the charge door was powered for when I forget to close it (or, in earlier software, when it would pop open on its own), but I wonder about reliability.

Mine still pops open occasionally when I put the car into drive. Annoying.

"Wider rear door opening" sounded to me like they managed to increase the door opening width by a few inches. Would be interesting to find out what they meant by that.

• Improvements for a quieter cabin
  • Wider rear door opening
  • Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)
  • Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror
  • Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard
  • Updated steering column control module

These are the ones that interest me. A quiet cabin gets quieter? The rear door opening's wider? (If they mean the door opens wider, they should say "Rear door opens wider"....) Included and improved items? Self-closing charge port door??? LOL, this all sounds great! Re. the steering column, I'm used to the current one, but I could get used to change....

If the door opening is really wider, my parents, my other half, and probably my friends would like that. It wouldn't affect me ;-) since I don't sit in the back seat of my own car (gasp!). ;-)

As Linda Richman said on Coffee Talk (SNL): "I'm feeling verklempt. Talk amongst yourselves. I'll give you a topic. The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, Roman, nor an empire. Discuss."

D Frunk Space Reduced: I spoke with A Tesla Service Center technician and they shared that the small Frunk space in the new "D" (portion of the Frunk closest to the passenger compartment) is now eliminated due to the presence of the second motor. Wouldn't this eliminate or modify the placement of the cargo net?

D Frunk Space Reduced: I spoke with A Tesla Service Center technician and they shared that the small Frunk space in the new "D" (portion of the Frunk closest to the passenger compartment) is now eliminated due to the presence of the second motor. Wouldn't this eliminate or modify the placement of the cargo net?

I'd assume that the cargo net and the spots for it are just gone in the D.

Why would you need a cargo net without that area? I too am interested in the quieter cabin. Also curious about the more comfy seats.. Will this be something we could pay and get upgraded by the service center on older cars? Inquiring minds want to know...

EDIT: Wouldn't mind exploring the cabin filter stuff too. For some reason whenever I turn on my HVAC it smells like mildew for the first minute or so

I just picked up my car today. It appears to have the new updates listed in the OP's thread. It has 6.0 and the speed assist and lane warnings software is all there. Other parts of the safety convenience features will trickle out in the next few months.

Congratulations on your new car. Did you notice any change in your sun visors over other Model Ss? Did yours come with a frunk net?

- - - Updated - - -

Why would you need a cargo net without that area?

Maybe they could replace the frunk net with a glass panel ala Ferrari or Audi R8 to showcase the motor?

Congratulations on your new car. Did you notice any change in your sun visors over other Model Ss? Did yours come with a frunk net?

My September 24th, 2014 delivery had the cargo net. So I'm pretty sure that's standard. I have no idea if the visors are different. But I didn't get the sensors, which means I didn't get the new headliner so the visor change may have required the sensors.

So for the last two days I've had a 60 kWh loaner that was made in June 2014. I've had some opportunity to compare it to my S85 made in September 2014 (delivered September 24th 2014). I do not have the new sensors, but do have the swapped turn signal/cruise control stalks. For reference in the later interior pictures, the 60 has the tan leather, my 85 has grey leather also I'll always present the old first followed by the new.

I can say that most of these improvements are already evident in my car. So let's go through the improvements.

Seat comfort improvements and taller headrests for whiplash protection

In my opinion the seats are more comfortable but this is very subjective. I'm not sure about the taller headrests. I measured the height and it comes in about the same. If it's taller it's only by a very tiny amount.

Improvements for a quieter cabin

I believe this has already happened. But I didn't have a way to measure this. The 60 I drove did seem louder to both myself and my girlfriend. Both vehicles had about the same mileage (my 85 is about 2500, the 60 was about 2300). However, the 60 had the Goodyear Tires and my 85 has the Michellan Primacy tires.

Wider rear door opening

Yes, this has happened. The new doors open 42 inches from the tip of the trim on the door to the tip of the trim on the side of the car versus 39 inches on the older vehicles.

IMG_2652.jpg
IMG_2695.jpg

Increased visor size and larger vanity mirror

Yes. The new visor is about 1" longer down. Appears to be roughly the same width (maybe a shade shorter). It's hard to measure the visor since it doesn't have a uniform shape and the new ones seem to be a slightly different shape. The vanity mirror does appear to be larger, but I didn't bother to take specific pictures of it.

Old:
IMG_2686.jpg
IMG_2638.jpg

New:
IMG_2689.jpg
IMG_2686.jpg

Parcel shelf and front trunk cargo net now standard

Yes my car came with both and I didn't pay for either.

Air ionizer and carbon filter for cabin air purity

This isn't really news but yes I have the ionizer.

Updated steering column control module

Yes. I've posted this picture before but for completness the stalks are in a different style. Both the gear stalk and the turn signal stalk are very similar now.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60122&d=1411796279.jpg

Updates to Alcantara interior trim, such as wrapped roof bow and top pad

Can't comment on this as neither cars have it. But I've heard people talking about these improvements in other threads here.

Last edited:
Nice analysis, we're lucky you were in the situation to be able to directly compare against an older model.

The sound issue will be very difficult for anyone to measure. Road quality, tire brand, tire age, etc. many things play into it. Even if there was an app or something we could use to have various owners record noise levels, there's so many variables.

Thank you too for your analysis.
Would the new visors fit with the old alcantara headliner? Or, is the headliner designed differently with a longer "divot" to store the visor up?
I wouldn't mind retrofitting my old visors.