Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pending Orders: Should we convert?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friday night Oct 10:

The last 24 hours have been an emotional and intellectual roller coaster. I was not surprised. Most forum readers expected the dual motors reveal. I thought a lot about it before the reveal. AWD is a good thing. My current car is AWD and I really appreciate its benefits when driving upon wet roads. But most of my driving is not icy/snowy roads where AWD is a clear advantage.

Can pending orders be changed?

I expected Tesla would tell me my confirmed order is in cement and I would forfeit my deposit if I wanted to change. I was willing to consider that loss and spent the day considering what I wanted to order. Then this evening my DS confirmed I am free to change my order and move my deposit without forfeiture. Now I really have to decide what I prefer.

Note that Tesla made a very wise and very appreciated policy decision to give the DS that authority!

What are the differences in performance and cost:

Of course every person's choices will alter the numbers somewhat. I carefully designed what I would choose today as near as possible to the choices made last August. Some options like fog lights, parking sensors and premium lighting are no longer choices.

Downgrading from the P85 to the non-performance S85 D?
$10,500 less.
I lose the performance features. More than just 1 second more to 60mph. I gain the AWD, the "Auto Pilot" and about 15 miles more range.

Upgrading from the P85 to the P85D?
$13,000 more.
Gaining huge performance characteristics: (1) larger motors, (2) Two motors, (3) larger wheels and the formerly "Plus" enhancements that I previously declined. More than just 1 less second to 60mph.
I also gain the AWD and the "Auto Pilot"

Consider the later effect on value in the used market in three years:

I plan to trade my car in three to five years. This is more like a technology product than a car. Think about that. All today's Tesla Model S versions are really going to be outdated in three years. What is your tolerance to keep outdated tech gadgets? I'm holding a 5S iPhone and it is outdated. I won't be trading for a while anyway. But, I would trash a phone that I used three years ago! I am using a three year old and very outdated computer right now. My wife literally laughed at my angst choosing whether to switch, while I used a three year computer that is slower than her phone. I will accept using my old Model S for years after it is not the newest, or I would not spend $100,000 for it. I will not choose the expense of keeping on top.

My conclusion at the end of today is that the resale market will prefer the Performance version, even though not the AWD version. My P85 will hit 60 in 4 seconds. My friend owns an Audi R8 that will get there in 3.4 seconds. Amazing that the P85D will beat him. I enjoyed taunting him today that I could upgrade, but you know, I'm not really drag racing too often for pink slips. In three years, there will be AWD versions that are more economical with higher range. If I choose the 85, I think I will suffer more depreciation. But, the $13,000 to upgrade to the P85D is just past my breaking point. I can afford it, but I just do not feel I receive the value for that extra money. In three years, I don't believe I get that back on resale, compared to the value of a P85.

The "Auto Pilot" features will not be on my current order. The sensors probably will be installed. I suspect that the hardware to use that information can be added. To be honest, I'm not sure I want my car changing lanes just because I used the turn signal. I do like the variable cruise control. In three years, any car without that will truly be dated.

Those are my thoughts, after reading a lot of news from people who are not paying for the car, and a lot of posts here from people who already received their cars. There are very few of us who really are having to choose whether to change.

I want my P85. And I'm really tired of waiting for it! It is a big deal to me to delay my delivery from November to February.

I hope to hear, soon, from others who are similarly evaluating the decision whether to change their orders. Please don't post comments if not related to that narrow question.

I'm actually freaking out about this, I'm in the same position as you, but stuck in Hong Kong, I worry they will delay the rollout of the D in Hong Kong and force me to keep my order here, I really hope they treat us the same way they do you guys in the States because it burns even harder here if your version of a car is severely different to the top spec version in terms of Resale value, everyone in HK nearly always orders the best model and the old ones become scrap.

Friday night Oct 10:

The last 24 hours have been an emotional and intellectual roller coaster. I was not surprised. Most forum readers expected the dual motors reveal. I thought a lot about it before the reveal. AWD is a good thing. My current car is AWD and I really appreciate its benefits when driving upon wet roads. But most of my driving is not icy/snowy roads where AWD is a clear advantage.

Can pending orders be changed?

I expected Tesla would tell me my confirmed order is in cement and I would forfeit my deposit if I wanted to change. I was willing to consider that loss and spent the day considering what I wanted to order. Then this evening my DS confirmed I am free to change my order and move my deposit without forfeiture. Now I really have to decide what I prefer.

Note that Tesla made a very wise and very appreciated policy decision to give the DS that authority!

What are the differences in performance and cost:

Of course every person's choices will alter the numbers somewhat. I carefully designed what I would choose today as near as possible to the choices made last August. Some options like fog lights, parking sensors and premium lighting are no longer choices.

Downgrading from the P85 to the non-performance S85 D?
$10,500 less.
I lose the performance features. More than just 1 second more to 60mph. I gain the AWD, the "Auto Pilot" and about 15 miles more range.

Upgrading from the P85 to the P85D?
$13,000 more.
Gaining huge performance characteristics: (1) larger motors, (2) Two motors, (3) larger wheels and the formerly "Plus" enhancements that I previously declined. More than just 1 less second to 60mph.
I also gain the AWD and the "Auto Pilot"

Consider the later effect on value in the used market in three years:

I plan to trade my car in three to five years. This is more like a technology product than a car. Think about that. All today's Tesla Model S versions are really going to be outdated in three years. What is your tolerance to keep outdated tech gadgets? I'm holding a 5S iPhone and it is outdated. I won't be trading for a while anyway. But, I would trash a phone that I used three years ago! I am using a three year old and very outdated computer right now. My wife literally laughed at my angst choosing whether to switch, while I used a three year computer that is slower than her phone. I will accept using my old Model S for years after it is not the newest, or I would not spend $100,000 for it. I will not choose the expense of keeping on top.

My conclusion at the end of today is that the resale market will prefer the Performance version, even though not the AWD version. My P85 will hit 60 in 4 seconds. My friend owns an Audi R8 that will get there in 3.4 seconds. Amazing that the P85D will beat him. I enjoyed taunting him today that I could upgrade, but you know, I'm not really drag racing too often for pink slips. In three years, there will be AWD versions that are more economical with higher range. If I choose the 85, I think I will suffer more depreciation. But, the $13,000 to upgrade to the P85D is just past my breaking point. I can afford it, but I just do not feel I receive the value for that extra money. In three years, I don't believe I get that back on resale, compared to the value of a P85.

The "Auto Pilot" features will not be on my current order. The sensors probably will be installed. I suspect that the hardware to use that information can be added. To be honest, I'm not sure I want my car changing lanes just because I used the turn signal. I do like the variable cruise control. In three years, any car without that will truly be dated.

Those are my thoughts, after reading a lot of news from people who are not paying for the car, and a lot of posts here from people who already received their cars. There are very few of us who really are having to choose whether to change.

I want my P85. And I'm really tired of waiting for it! It is a big deal to me to delay my delivery from November to February.

I hope to hear, soon, from others who are similarly evaluating the decision whether to change their orders. Please don't post comments if not related to that narrow question.

It depends on why you bought the car. If it's for show and prestige then after any upgrade of the car specs your car is "scrap". If you bought the car for its features then it's not. Everyone in HK does not order the top Model. Have a look at the HK orders thread and you'll see plenty of cars that are not "top".

I would sugest rest you hold the freak out and talk to Tesla. You will find they are reasonable people and may help you change your order. They have helped me change my order after the 2 week cutoff, for example, 3 times.

If if you are just too worried about resale value then perhaps do what everyone else does in HK and buy a Merc or a BMW, and keep on pumping out the pollution.

Autopilot features will be on your current order. It will be on all Model S from now on:

"New Safety Features and AutopilotThe launch of Dual Motor Model S coincides with the introduction of a standard hardware package that will enable autopilot functionality. Every single Model S now rolling out of the factory includes a forward radar, 12 long range ultrasonic sensors positioned to sense 16 feet around the car in every direction at all speeds, a forward looking camera, and a high precision, digitally controlled electric assist braking system.
Building on this hardware with future software releases, we will deliver a range of active safety features, using digital control of motors, brakes, and steering to avoid collisions from the front, sides, or from leaving the road."

I converted my order from a P85 to a P85d yesterday. As far as I can tell it hasn't affected my delivery date at all - December.

i have no regrets. Of course being from Canada, the AWD is more important to me.

kudos to Tesla for letting us do this.:biggrin:

The increase for me will be about 9% more in order to go from a P85+ to the P85D.
I live in a northern climate where snow can be a factor so the AWD would be of use on inclines and hills.

I was going to order the tan interior but it appears that the P85D is now only offered with a black interior. Not thrilled about that.
I wonder what the new seats look like?
I hear the parking sensors are in the TECH package now and no longer a stand-alone option.

I made the decision yesterday to change my order from an S85 to an S85D. It will delay my delivery from late November to probably March now. This hurts as the wait since late July has already been difficult. But the car will miss most of one winter - and who knows what other enhancements might show up as Tesla is constantly refining the S.

To be clear, I asked the DS and the sales guys if my old order would come with all of the new driver features - and they said that it would. So the only solid reason for my delay is to get the dual motors. And it is a few more $ as well.

I have a bit of delayer's remorse today, but I think that I did the right thing. I always wanted 2 things in the Tesla that it didn't have when I originally ordered it: Adaptive Cruise Control, and AWD. So I'm having my cake and everything else - but not until early spring.

I would like to encourage everyone to immediately convert their orders to the D model.

From my point of view, it's a very pragmatic thing to do.

If everyone goes to a D but me, my delivery should move up substantially! :biggrin:

What a well thought out and articulated post.

Just wanted to post my perspective as a current owner of a Model S P85+ since June 2013.

I have placed an order for the P85D and am looking forward to taking delivery before the end of the year. Having said that, I love my current car. I have had almost zero problems with it in the 16 months of ownership and any issue I have had has been promptly tended to by a Tesla Service Ranger. If my financial situation did not allow me to "upgrade" I would be keeping my current car and would be very happy owning and driving it. It already accelerates from a dead stop on par or quicker than my previous 2013 M5.

I think you will be happy with whatever Model S you decided to go with. The wait for my first one was excruciating - this time not so much since I'll be driving the Model S until the new Model S comes in...

Mike

They are delivering the P85Ds as early as December. The S85Ds won't come off the assembly line until late Feb.Too many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to go for the 3.2 sec acceleration :(

Biker, remember the words of the old ones (like me), you only live once.

- - - Updated - - -

I would like to encourage everyone to immediately convert their orders to the D model.

From my point of view, it's a very pragmatic thing to do.

If everyone goes to a D but me, my delivery should move up substantially! :biggrin:

NO. You guys don't want to revise/convert your order to a D. Buy my Sep '13 P85 and I will buy a D.

I have a P+85 that just changed to in production Saturday with forecast delivery for the end of October. I called and asked what my options were. Option 1 was to stay with current order which included the tech pkg, prkng and fog lights. I was assurred that I would get the autopilot but there was some question about the difference in price which still needs to be worked out because I ordered both prkng and fog lights. I was emphatic that i wanted the autopilot and was told I would have it. Option 2 was to cancel current order and order the D. Downside of Option 2 was that delivery would not be until February and the only color for the new seats would be black. I chose option 1 because I wanted my grey seats and was getting the autopilot options. (Absence of the last was a definite downer when I chose to drop my order in July. It appears my guardian angel was looking out for me, again.) Option 2 would have been nice but the extra 5 months of driving will be better than the wait .

Two orders

I converted over my S85 to S85D last Friday afternoon. My Tesla page now has two orders showing and the first order got the VIN assigned today. Are others that have converted their orders showing two orders still? I called inside sales to confirm, and was told the deposit move is still "in process". They're still getting slammed with changes.

Last edited:
I converted over my S85 to S85D last Friday afternoon. My Tesla page now has two orders showing and the first order got the VIN assigned today. Are others that have converted their orders showing two orders still? I called inside sales to confirm, and was told the deposit move is still "in process". They're still getting slammed with changes.

Yes, mine still shows two orders. I went ahead and paid the deposit on the new order to hopefully "get in the queue" already. I emailed my DS he could refund the other deposit or apply it to the new order if that was easier.

Update: Now showing only the newer order.

Last edited:
I have 2 orders showing as well. They will transfer your deposit over to the new order and cancel the original. They don't move real fast.