Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is anyone going to order a 2wheel drive model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the 2 wheel drive version has
1. More range (Canadian site. .. I have a feeling there's no testing on this yet. ..)
2. Plenty of traction
3. Plenty of speed
4. Less parts to break
all this and you save $4000 too!

OK, I see the hype for the D, but I think it's more hype than practicality. Sure I want the D but I don't think it's quite as obviously the only choice as you make it out to be.

Since they've bundled the old + with the P85D, and it's a $14k option with a rougher ride, there will still be a fair amount of P85 orders.
Anybody stretching their wallet for a 60 will consider the RWD version, especially if they rarely (or never) see snow.
I expect the vast majority of 85 orders to be 85D. I would have done it. I honestly expected a $7k-$10k price for that upgrade, which I would forgo. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a price increase on at least that configuration ”soon.”

So is it official that the stiffer suspension of the P85+ is now part of the P85D? I guess that would make sense given the insane amount of power it has. I gotta say that even with my current P85, I have to be careful/brace myself when I smash the accelerator or else I might hurt my neck. With the P85D, putting your head on the headrest would almost be a necessity...

I think in the end there will only be 3 cars here: economy, range, performance. While there may be some folk who like the real wheel drive, if performance is your thing then you almost have to go for the P85D. Afterall, you're already getting less range and paying more than what the 85D would be for for the extra omph. And it is, afterall, insane. I'm guessing >95% of P buyers go D.

If you're looking to maximize your range and ease road trips then paying less than 5% more for the 85D makes a lot of sense to get the extra 30 miles of EPA range. >85% of 85 buyers go D.

You buy the 60 because you just can't afford the 85. I know, I have a 60. But if I was buying now, I could see me being tempted for just 4k to go for the 60D for a slight boost in range and acceleration. Problem is that if I can rationalize one $4k bump, why not rationalize a second $4k bump to an 85 that gets me an even bigger boost in range and speed than the first bump. So knowing human nature, 60 buyers at this point either say f-it, I'm going to stretch and go for the 85 or they say I just can't do it and the performance benefits of the 60D are too minimal so I might as well save my money. >85% of 60 buyers do NOT go D.

So there are to cars here: 60, 85D, and P85D. Any other configuration is a niche product.

I agree that most 60 orders won't be D, and that most 85 orders will be. I'm not certain on the p85 though, we could see a mix there, people who want better performance than the 85, but don't want to spend the 15k upgrade, those who don't want to risk 21in wheels, those who really like a RWD car. Those philosophically opposed to air suspensions, the list goes on.
But yes, I agree, a 60D or an S85 will be a rare sight going forward.

1. More range
2. Better traction
3. Quicker
4. Possible limp home if one motor breaks.
All this equals a greatly improved car for $4000. Seems like a bargain to me.

I have an S set to deliver mid-December. I'm sticking with that order. Why?

I live in Tucson, so snow and knee-deep mud is not a problem.

I frequently drive to Flagstaff, which is 240 miles and a net uphill of 6200 feet once you pass Phoenix. The little bit of extra range from the D won't make any difference. Both going to or from Flagstaff, I'll need to charge up at Cordes Junction even with a D model.

Now if there was a battery pack that could get me from Tucson to Flagstaff without charging, I'd seriously think about upgrading. But that's a long time coming, I'd guess.

I changed

Ok, I'm another one sticking with my two wheel drive order. I see no reason to change, despite being in Vancouver - which a lot of people will consider to be a cold climate.

Also, I can't face an additional two months wait!

Changed or err reordered last night from 85 to 85d. I live in Pittsburgh with hills and snow . I will have to eat the deposit but the extra 4 grand for AWD is offset by the money saved on winter rims and tires.

Changed or err reordered last night from 85 to 85d. I live in Pittsburgh with hills and snow . I will have to eat the deposit but the extra 4 grand for AWD is offset by the money saved on winter rims and tires.
AWD is never a substitute for winter tires. A 2wd with good tires will outperform AWD with all seasons on snow and ice every single time. In any snowstorm the majority of vehicles in the ditch are 4x4s and AWD. (That said, AWD WITH winter tires is a killer combination) but if choosing between the two. .. I have to say you made the wrong choice.

Ok, I'm another one sticking with my two wheel drive order. I see no reason to change, despite being in Vancouver - which a lot of people will consider to be a cold climate.

Also, I can't face an additional two months wait!

Vancouver, cold? You crack me up! :)

Last edited:
It's a tough debate. for $4,000 on a $100,000 car... it's probably worth it where I live. That said, AWD isn't necessary in any city in the world (regardless of what people seem to think) but it can be a nice to have option, especially being that it adds a small amount of range (it's not much, but every little bit helps, and they aren't likely to introduce a bigger battery for a couple years yet (post gigafactory opening))

The big takeaways for me from the announcement were:
1) P85D is crazy fast, I have no need to have one, I probably won't ever have one, but boy do I want one!
2) Auto-pilot is amazing, and I definitely want that.