Page 30 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Next gen Roadster

I guess I'm being pedantic here (hey, I'm British so it goes with the territory), but the term 'roadster' means something very specific to me.

A roadster is an open (without a fixed roof or side weather protection) two-seat car with emphasis on sporty handling. While roadsters usually have soft-tops, retractable hard-tops are becoming more common.
    Not sure specifically what Musk said, but here is Wired from September citing him talking about 'a roadster follow-up':

Tesla Plans Two More Launches: A Smaller Crossover SUV, Sports Car | Autopia | Wired.com

Musk said that this new sports car won’t be in the same vein as the Roadster, which was based off the Lotus Elise, and will have “supercar performance, but not supercar pricing.”
    Tesla need either (a) higher quantity lower margins, or (b) lower quantity higher margins. With the Roadster, they did (b), but I doubt if they will go that way again. My money is on a 5 seat coupe as the follow on to the roadster. Probably gonna be fast as hell.
    Last edited by markwj; 2012-11-12 at 03:38 AM.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Quote Originally Posted by markwj View Post
    I guess I'm being pedantic here (hey, I'm British so it goes with the territory), but the term 'roadster' means something very specific to me.
    You are right, Wikipedia also says a Roadster is a two-seater, so if it is a 2+2 (as we heard), then it wouldn't be called "Roadster" (and probably not "Model R" either). Otherwise, it only seems obvious that it will be a sports car.

Not necessarily a big money-maker, but a sports car (or "supercar") which demonstrates the advantages of an electric drive train. Perhaps what is called a "halo car", serving to make the brand known and thereby help sell Gen III. Wouldn't having 5 seats cost weight, and slow it down? And that's what the Model S already supplies, with the Performance version very fast in its category (and the future AWD version perhaps even a bit faster).
    Last edited by Norbert; 2012-11-12 at 03:18 AM.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

The reasons I'm guessing 2+3 are (a) bench seat in the back, (b) no centre tunnel, so (c) 3 is as easy as 2, and (d) I don't see much weight difference but a big marketing plus. If it is more sports coupe than roadster, it works better in the premium market.
    PLEASE NOTE:
    These musings are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation among the Tesla Motors Clubs membership.
    My words may not be quoted by any third party outside the Tesla Motors Clubs forums, without my express consent.

Roadster #1144 + Sig 114 dsm363's Avatar
    The reasons I'm guessing 2+3 are (a) bench seat in the back, (b) no centre tunnel, so (c) 3 is as easy as 2, and (d) I don't see much weight difference but a big marketing plus. If it is more sports coupe than roadster, it works better in the premium market.
    That's my bet too. Something close to 3 seconds 0-60 that seats 5 with AWD maybe.
    Moderator - Model S, Mountain/Southwest, Texas, Northwest, Off Topic forums
    PLEASE NOTE: Posts are the copyrighted intellectual property of the author, and are intended as part of a conversation within this forum. My words may NOT be quoted outside this forum, without my expressed consent.

Quote Originally Posted by dsm363 View Post
    That's my bet too. Something close to 3 seconds 0-60 that seats 5 with AWD maybe.
    They need the AWD to get all that power to the ground, right?
    PLEASE NOTE:

I wonder whether a Model S Performance AWD could already get close to 3 seconds.

If Elon talks about "supercar performance" for the Roadster successor, I expect less than 3 seconds for the top option.
    Buying an EV is one thing, being able to drive it beyond city limits another...

Quote Originally Posted by Norbert View Post
    Actually the last plans we heard of, were for a 2 + 2 seater, with the rear 2 seats larger than in a 911. Maybe that wouldn't be called a "Roadster". However I expect it would be similarly sports-car-oriented.
    I think this is most likely. I would think the GenIII platform would be small enough (hopefully light enough) to make a real sports coupe. Not a roaster (as the platform would probably be a little too big). I am thinking directly comparable to a 911 turbo.

They need the AWD to get all that power to the ground, right?
    Like the 911 turbo, you get the AWD, to get the power to the ground.

I really hope for a roadster after a GenIII based sports coupe. But I wouldn't expect a small roadster like car until Tesla gets a compact (sub-compact) platform.

Think with dispassion; Speak with equanimity; Act in calm.
    Moderator - Southeast, Future Cars, TMC Connect, Off Topic
    Do not use this material outside of Tesla Motors Club without attribution and permission.

Quote Originally Posted by brianman View Post
    It would also be interesting to see them go after a less-supercar-but-still-convertible on the Gen III chassis. Something like a Miata in size and price.
    I believe the Gen III chassis will be around the same size as a BMW 3-Series, maybe a bit larger. I think Miata-size would require a completely different chassis than the Gen III since Miatas are so small.

Quote Originally Posted by Grendal View Post
    2012 Model S
    2013 Model X - Gen III prototype shown with new platform
    2014 Model S 2.0 and minor variation - Model R prototype shown
    2015 Gen III sedan - Gen III CUV prototype
    2016 Model R & Gen III CUV & Model S 3.0 - Convertible Model S? prototype

Unbelievably ambitious, I know. ....
    Tesla has pointed out in the past that development of an EV is much faster that an ICE. They mentioned making gear changes can be done in the field on a laptop. I would guess without all that heat and exhaust to get rid of, not trying to jam an ever-bigger, heavier engine in the front and a known constant placement of the fuel tank. Now that the S is done a lot of things would get easier.

- - - Updated - - -

When Tesla releases the Roadster upgrade of 0-60 in 2.6 (or whatever) do you think the next car can only match that?

Dave you are underestimating Elon big time, I was told they want to go after the Veyrons with this one.

I'm betting now that we hear something like, "This is the supercar we always wanted to build".

And once they perfect AWD on the X and the BlueGenlll it would be criminal not to have it on the next Supercar.

Blog Entries
    0-60 is one thing... but I think they also need to boost the top speed. The Roadster's acceleration really poops out above 100 mph.

Thread Information