Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Next gen Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dsm363

Roadster + Sig Model S
May 17, 2009
Nevada
Does anyone expect the next version of the Roadster to include a few features to make people fit into the car a little better like moveable steering column and seats? A slightly taller windshield would help taller drivers too.

Dave

Although I'd love to see a next-gen roadster, I'd be surprised if Tesla rolls one out before the model-S gets into
production. Something like a larger windshield would entail a major redesign; if they do make some improvements
to the roadster, my best guesses would be:
1. changes to reduce mfgr cost of the PEM and battery pack.
2. upsell option of using higher energy-density cells / longer range.
3. up-to-date airbag leveraging off of work done at Lotus
4. Any misc changes Lotus makes to the platform that are easily ported including tilt steering, etc.
5. electric power steering.

Although I'd love to see a next-gen roadster, I'd be surprised if Tesla rolls one out before the model-S gets into
production. Something like a larger windshield would entail a major redesign; if they do make some improvements
to the roadster, my best guesses would be:
1. changes to reduce mfgr cost of the PEM and battery pack.
2. upsell option of using higher energy-density cells / longer range.
3. up-to-date airbag leveraging off of work done at Lotus
4. Any misc changes Lotus makes to the platform that are easily ported including tilt steering, etc.
5. electric power steering.
Agreed. They don't need the revenue burn of redesigning the Roadster yet.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's kind of what I figured. It looks like the 2011 Lotus Elise will be slightly bigger so maybe they'll use that.

Except only like 10% of the car is based on the Lotus and Tesla said it plans on moving it to the skate platform after they get that completed (the Model S is going to be their first car on the skate platform and the rest of their cars will all be built off of that).

-Shark2k

To be fair, wasn't the design exterior styling originally done by Lotus (there was a styling contest if I remember correctly)?

Yes Barney won the design contest but it's still a ripoff.
The Tesla Roadster - All-electric Sports Car
Lotus has had considerable influence since the inception. Lotus provided design assistance and furnished the basic chassis development technology from the Lotus Elise. The styling was developed by Barney Hatt at Lotus' design studio however he did consult with Tesla engineers. It was Tesla engineers who decided to use resin transfer molded carbon fiber to construct the body panels.

I hope they don't ever add power steering to the Roadster. I realize that it makes certain aspects of everyday driving more difficult, but the feel for the road is so much better without power steering. That's the reason that Ferrari, Lotus, etc. leave it out also. I do think the Roadster could do with a better turning radius, but that has nothing to do with power steering.

I anticipate that Roadster 3.0 will be:

#1: Larger both inside and out.
#2: More luxurious and comfortable.
#3: Weigh more.
#4: Be slightly less sporty. (Probably power steering, higher off the ground seating position.)
#5: Easier to enter/exit.
#6: More refined, less "raw".

Fans of pure sports cars may be disappointed, but Tesla would likely find a larger potential customer base since it would be more mainstream with more comfort and luxury.

I anticipate that Roadster 3.0 will be:

#1: Larger both inside and out.
#2: More luxurious and comfortable.
#3: Weigh more.
#4: Be slightly less sporty. (Probably power steering, higher off the ground seating position.)
#5: Easier to enter/exit.
#6: More refined, less "raw".

Fans of pure sports cars may be disappointed, but Tesla would likely find a larger potential customer base since it would be more mainstream with more comfort and luxury.

I don't even have my "old" 2.5 yet=) I can see how a slightly larger car would attract a much bigger customer base though. They also need to get the price down below $80,000 I think starting price.

Agree TEG...aim the product at the "luxury performance crowd" rather than the pure performance market...more refined by "easier ingress / egress" and a more roomy interior / ability to accomodate "larger occupants" would go a long way to increasing the size of the prospective market pool of this vehicle...but TM needs to be careful not to go overboard on luxury at the expense of performance...just a slight tweaking required...a tightrope to walk I think...TM should consider some focus group input imo, especially from the current Roadster ownership pool.

Maybe it is a matter of semantics, but when I responded to comments about "Roadster 3.0", I was basically talking about something others might call "Model S Cabriolet". Basically the next gen based off the Model S "Skateboard" was proposed to include an open top version, perhaps with only 2 seats, or some Porsche style vestigal rear eats.
tesla-roadshow.jpg

Basically the next gen based off the Model S "Skateboard" was proposed to include an open top version, perhaps with only 2 seats, or some Porsche style vestigal rear eats.

I think Musk said at one point that he wants the next Roadster to be a "Porsche Fighter" that would have a small back seat similar to the 911s.

I honestly hope that if Tesla decides to put power steering into the Roadster 3.0 that they make a variant that is similar to the current Roadsters, i.e. small, no power steering, etc.. I would love to see them also make it a bit lighter which very well could happen with the advances in battery technology.

I honestly hope that if Tesla decides to put power steering into the Roadster 3.0 that they make a variant that is similar to the current Roadsters, i.e. small, no power steering, etc.. I would love to see them also make it a bit lighter which very well could happen with the advances in battery technology.

Yeah, I would like that too, but I think their direction is more luxury, more features, not more "back to basics".
I bet the battery improvements get offset by other weight additions.

I agree with PopPmith and hope Tesla will keep this basic driving.

When I bought my roadster I thought of the basic driving as a compromise
for driving a electric car with a range about 300 km. But now, after
I have driven my first 10.000 km I want to have it this way. ( and my wife too:cool:)

But there is something I would really like to have : A software switch for a harder
regen braking so I could get faster through small twisting country roads without touching the brake pedal.:smile:

Perhaps activated with a hidden button.:cool: My wife and I have a competition, the one who hits the brake pedal more often has to pay for lunch or coffee at the next stop.:biggrin:

And a little more comfort for getting in and out would be acceptable, as everyone
I'm getting older...

BTW : I think it's called sports car because you get athletic over the time when you have to get in and out. Perhaps calling it an athletic car
would be more appropriate ?:confused::smile: