Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

S Observations with the D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow.

Its amazing seeing the posts on the S side of the forum after the unveiling of the D. I'm very stoked on the D and happy that Tesla's innovations have been very exciting, rather quick, and a huge game changer in the automotive industry. What I don't understand is seeing some of the Model-S owners crying about huge depreciation on their S (multiple negative threads on this) where they're acting like a teenaged girl who didn't get asked out to a high school prom. Its as if they're blaming Elon and Tesla for rapidly and successfully advancing the automotive / EV industry at the cost of what they presume is a huge drop in value of their model S value. I take some of the S owners and majority Roadster owners as a different breed. I'm talking about the original Roadster owners who took the full risk and allowing all of us to enjoy our Teslas today. Also those who bought Roadsters used, before the Model S, for that this was showing a strong icon representing that Tesla is a change from the old mundane norm of gas vehicles that we need change today and that its very possible. And also those who buy Roadsters today, for that they contribute and connect to the positive, awesome, inner true roots of Tesla that gives us the feeling we get while driving the Roadster.

All I can say is Thank you to Tesla (Martin/Marc/Elon & all Tesla Engineers/Employees in particular) for having such a great vision and creating such an awesome set of cars. Thank you to those who originally bought the Roadster, who allowed the Roadster and Tesla to survive and be who they are today. Thank you to those who bought used Roadsters and believe in the true EV vision. And thank you to the Model-S owners who also helped EVs and Tesla to be what they are today. Without all of those people it would not be possible what we saw with the unveiling of the D. It appears to be a small portion of those that appeared to buy the Model S as an investment, that don't fully understand that technological advancements do and will happen, that we're living in a different age/era now and the car industry has now changed from what we have known it, and that things today do move fast especially with a company like Tesla at the helm.

In the same token, should I blame Tesla also for that their stock soared from their dedicated hard work and investment? Do I blame Tesla for that I missed out on making a fortune on them, all do to my own poor timing? Its called life. Understand and Live with it. But don't blame others or a company for that something has evolved out from under you. We all will go through that. Hey, even in days of the horse and carriage this has happened, better breed horses, better designed carriages, you can't escape it. Again its life.

I guess some people will always complain, some will never be happy/satisfied, and others just don't see the big picture of things that lead to a better life / place down the road.

I honestly have not come across a post of a Roadster owner complaining, blaming Tesla or the advancement of technology tied to a negative emotion. Roadster owners did see a price drop when the Model-S was released, especially when the market was flooded with Roadsters as some upgraded to the model S, but it was accepted and understood by all. It also was essential for Tesla's survival and in fact due the evolution of technology and the EV. Some people got a really good deal on for that they hit the timing just right. Its called luck. In the end everyone was happy. Why? Because Tesla was and is growing, their cars tomorrow will always be better than their cars today. That their old cars are still very incredible cars. And finally that Tesla is a company who's rooted deep into technology, not deeply rooted in the automotive industry and stuck in the old outdated ways of thinking in that industry.

I guess there's always a ying and yang to everything.

For me, if my Roadster dropped to $20,000 tomorrow due to a newer / better technology I would still be happy, actually happier! I would not criticize I paid more than its going rate, that it had depreciated significantly. What is most important to me is that I followed my own passion, allowed a vision / dream of mine come true by investing in Tesla and the EV community, and to have my Tesla grin shine bright to everyone I pass by every day I'm in the Roadster.

Last edited:
I am amazed that the Roadster is over 6 years old at this point and that there is still nothing on the market that can touch it.

I was prepared for there to be a superior EV sportscar ( 2 seat or 2+2 seat, not a huge sports sedan ) on the market by now, but there is not.
The technology has advanced, if someone had the will they could make a better car right now, for a lot less money. But nobody has the will.
It really looks like we will have to wait for Tesla to make one, and it will come more than 10 years after the Roadster hit the market.

The closest thing on the market now is the BMW i8, but it is a hybrid, not an EV. In an imaginary world where Tesla did not exist, but BMW still made the i8 ( and I don't believe that they would have ), I would be all over it.
But it is not an EV, it is a hybrid, so I say "meh".

I know the Model S is superior in most ways to the Roadster, the technology is so much better, it is quicker, it is more refined, and it is probably a better sports car, but it is too big.
I like driving my little sportscar, and hope for a better one as soon as possible.

I think these innovation strengthen the brand. And I did buy stock early. Not very much, but it's up 10X. Best unrealized gain I have ever made and I'm not selling it. It'll go higher. I would love it if they would split 4:1. It was a no brainer to me at a time when I never thought I could ever afford one. And now I do. I can't believe it!

Not a surprise from knowing Wiztecy the past 2 years. He has always been supportive, helpful and positive to me and many other lucky Roadster owners. It is amazing how Tesla continues to move forward with technological advances to it's EV family. For those Roadster owners, or non-Tesla owners waiting for the MS prices to come down the opportunity is certainly around the corner. Elon is certainly keeping us wondering about what the new pack will be like, when it's coming out and if any other modifications for the Roadster will accompany it. In the meantime there is still plenty of battery life to drive into the sunrise and sunset!

Not a surprise from knowing Wiztecy the past 2 years. He has always been supportive, helpful and positive to me and many other lucky Roadster owners. It is amazing how Tesla continues to move forward with technological advances to it's EV family. For those Roadster owners, or non-Tesla owners waiting for the MS prices to come down the opportunity is certainly around the corner. Elon is certainly keeping us wondering about what the new pack will be like, when it's coming out and if any other modifications for the Roadster will accompany it. In the meantime there is still plenty of battery life to drive into the sunrise and sunset!

+1 :biggrin:

What about the SP:01 by Detroit Electric? 0-60 in 3.7 seconds like Roadster Sport.
http://detroit-electric.com/models.php.html

The range is lower (~130 miles EPA), but still on the high end for most EVs.

Boasting an impressive 155mph, 250km/h* top speed and covering the 0-60mph sprint in a blistering 3.7 seconds* (0-100km/h in 3.9 seconds*), performance motoring has a new champion.
* simulated figures

Until they remove the asterisk, the vehicle doesn't exist (for mainstream customers) and thus isn't relevant. IMO.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wiztecy again."

I covered it. :)

- - - Updated - - -

I'm struggling, too, with all the negativity from some people. "It dropped $x after just three months of ownership." So what! What if Tesla waited three years? It would still drop with the new tech. That's what happens.

I love every mile I've driven in my crude-interior old-tech Roadster and can't imagine ever letting it go. It is just as spectacular as the day I brought it home.

And I know that my Signature Model X will quickly become outdated as newer features become available. But they'll never be able to replace the extra time I gain behind the wheel with new features. There is value to that. To me, anyway.

Thanks for starting this thread for Roadster owners. :)

Totally agree. The whining is pitiful. I'm thrilled that Tesla is continuing to innovate and push the technology to strengthen the argument for electric being better, in almost every way, than any other technology. Stagnation will kill the industry. You bought a depreciating asset, drive it and enjoy it, it's just as good a car as it was the day it showed up in your driveway.

What about the SP:01 by Detroit Electric? 0-60 in 3.7 seconds like Roadster Sport.
http://detroit-electric.com/models.php.html

The range is lower (~130 miles EPA), but still on the high end for most EVs.

It's vapor. Its all TBA. When they actually sell one I would count it. But even if it does eventually happen, its 7 years after the Roadster and looks inferior in most respects, will wait for final specs.

When you buy a flat screen TV, a smartphone, a computer, a tablet, solar panels, any number of items in a young or rapidly advancing technology you expect something better to come out in a few months or couple years.
I am shocked at how few offerings there in the EV space considering how far Tesla has pushed the technology already.

I think it is proof positive that the Model S is now in the hands of the mainstream. Also, Tesla has the ICE industry's attention. That's a big step forward.
(I'm looking for a silver lining even though the dialog has been difficult to tolerate.)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to wiztecy again."

I took care of that.

I'm not a Roadster owner, but I join those who are surprised at the level of complaining about the D and 'something else.'

I'm really excited that Tesla keeps making the MS better and better, and I don't expect retrofit options. None of the improvements that came out since my June 2013 delivery take anything away from my fantastic MS.

Thank you to the early adopters who made my Tesla possible.

I took care of that.

I'm not a Roadster owner, but I join those who are surprised at the level of complaining about the D and 'something else.'

I'm really excited that Tesla keeps making the MS better and better, and I don't expect retrofit options. None of the improvements that came out since my June 2013 delivery take anything away from my fantastic MS.

Thank you to the early adopters who made my Tesla possible.

Thanks for the acknowledgement. As an entrepreneur and a Tesla pioneer, I have always believed that what you inspire in others is a lot more important that what you have for yourself.