Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot in Hong Kong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The new Model S comes with Autopilot function that require a front radar to work. Will Hong Kong market able to use this function?

As I know, M-Benz S Class have similar auto pilot function disabled as Hong Kong outdated vehicle regulations do not allow their radar to be activated.

I don't know if there's a limit on specific radars, but I used to have an Elgrand that's got a radar based adaptive cruise control. TD has no problem with its radar.

The auto lane change part may get problematic as it results in a self driving car. Toyota's self parking system is allowed in HK though, so I do hope Tesla can get autopilot working for us here.

I think it might be the frequency that the radar used in the Mercedes that is causing the problems. Then that explains why radar is allowed on some cars but not others. Hope tesla is not adapting the radar from the merc...

Would hope this can be an upgrade option for older MS models!

I asked a Tesla guy in Tsuen Wan yesterday and they said it's not an upgrade as it's a different technology that doesn't exist in the Model S today. So definitely no upgrade. Very disappointing. However, I'll be quite happy when they get the darn navigation to finally be approved by HK government. That'll make the care so much nicer!

However, I'll be quite happy when they get the darn navigation to finally be approved by HK government. That'll make the care so much nicer!

I seriously doubt that navigation is dependent on HK Government approval. Firstly, lots of cars (almost all modern) have it already. Secondly, the legislation regarding in-car display screens specifically permits navigation as an allowed purpose.

Getting a HK-compatible navigation provider, with up-to-date HK maps, and integrating it with the Model S (especially given the proprietary nature of the Model S infotainment system, and the complexity of Google Maps vs navigation) is quite a bit of work - but that is all on Tesla's plate to get done and not dependent on government.

Autopilot in Hong Kong is a wast of space not long big roads to use it like UK and US.
too many ppl on the roads to work.
I hope this is a option and not standard in the coming MSD.

The adaptive cruise control would be useful. So, with it set at 85kph to flow with the traffic, it would automatically slow down to 70kph as the car in front slows down for the speed camera, and then speed up the other side of the block :biggrin:

Well as am airline pilot who uses autopilot 95% of the time in the air, I can assure you the autopilot is controlled by me. It takes the manual task away and allows the "driver" to monitor what's going on around me. HK would be a better place to drive if most of the drivers has autopilots.

Last edited:
Well as am airline pilot who uses autopilot 95% of the time in the air, I can assure you the autopilot is controlled by me. It takes the manual task away and allows the "driver" to monitor what's going on around me. HK would be a better place to drive if most of the drivers has autopilots.

I can only second that.

On the road to fully automated cars, having auto pilot and auto "throttle" (cruise control) is a step on the way. I do like driving and I hope it will still be allowed to drive yourself, in my lifetime. Although immensely cool to have a 100% self driving car, it would take the fun out of it.

Bill Lear - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bill Lear was one of the pioneers in aviation inventions, known in particular for the Learjet aircraft series, still produced to this day. He also put quite an effort into auto-pilot technology (see the link above) and many other technologies. Back then, the major airlines refused auto pilots initially, as they wouldn't surrender control of the aircraft from pilots to a machine. Later on, it was finally realised what a great assistance it was - having automatics doing the tedious, repetitious simple tasks, allowing the pilot/driver/sailor to focus on what's important, and keep from being fatigued for approach and landing.

In Hong Kong, a lot of attention needs to be assigned to the ever changing speed limit, and the constantly changing actual speed of traffic, as a lot of cars will suddenly change from x0 km/h above to 10 km/h below the speed limit, whenever there is an orange painted box at the side of the road. All this attention to box ticking and formal speed limit adherence is ironically detrimental to road safety - as it takes attention away from traffic itself and real life threats.

I use cruise control a lot on the Model S, often even on roads off the expressway. I am getting more and more used to it, being comfortable with resume, add/subtract 1 km/h or 5 km/h. I have my own comfort speed to go past speeding cameras, and with the electric motor being so instant, it's great to use with a cruise control as it easily maintains speed within 1 km/h. Those that just passed me before the speeding camera, are suddenly braking and I will often be sliding past them (traffic permitting), while they blast past me again 100 meters after the orange box is passed. The same happens in many other places in the world, the most profound I experienced so far is the highway between Dubai and Abi Dhabi - it's a constant stop-go exercise. Bad for safety, bad for fuel economy and bad for passenger and driver comfort. But it satisfies the bureaucrats and generates revenue for those that fall out of line now and then. Box ticking and hoop jumping only, nothing else.

On automation comes the danger of complacency. Current state of autonomous driving still requires the driver to monitor the automatics at all times. When this is implemented, there will be times where someone is taking a nap, leaving it to the autopilot to drive the car. And most of the time, all will be OK. There will be accidents as some people will rely too much on automatics, and this wouldn't be unique to more or less self-driving cars, it happens whenever automation is involved. The times automation can save the day, though, will be many. Imagine how many accidents happen because of human error - which could have been picked up easily by already existing technology of cameras, radars, sensors and computers?

There was a demo at CES this year by Audi where they showed their prototype automated driving system. It specifically monitors the driver and attempts to wake up unresponsive drivers. If the driver continues to be unresponsive, the car will slowly come to a stop and turn on the hazard flashers. The bad point was that it stayed in the same lane as it came to a stop. Personally, I think it should pull safely to the shoulder and then stop.

I think I would mainly use the Autopilot for traffic jam only. I hope it could work like Audi's Traffic Jam Assistant. I don't think it is fun to drive in Traffic jam, so let autopilot to handle it.

agree yes that would be very good for traffic jams.

- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking if Autopilot is on dose this mean we can play games on our phones lol

...- - - Updated - - -

I was thinking if Autopilot is on dose this mean we can play games on our phones lol

You write lol but that is actually a great concern. Initially, the autonomous driving functions still needs to be monitored, just like a pilot has to monitor the autopilot. Could you imagine sitting in the back of a car where the driver was sleeping or playing candy grush?

Maybe in 5 to 10 years, not 2015 for sure.

You write lol but that is actually a great concern. Initially, the autonomous driving functions still needs to be monitored, just like a pilot has to monitor the autopilot. Could you imagine sitting in the back of a car where the driver was sleeping or playing candy grush?

Maybe in 5 to 10 years, not 2015 for sure.

Please don't compare to airplane auto pilot. Otherwise we'll be letting our kids sit in the driver's seat