Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But....autopilot features are not retrofittable to older Model S vehicles.
I'm confused....what did Elon mean by, "One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it.".
I wouldn't say that I am disappointed with the "D" unveiling but I was expecting something like autopilot for my Signature Series Model S.

I'm confused....what did Elon mean by, "One of the things is already there, and people just don't realize it.".
I wouldn't say that I am disappointed with the "D" unveiling but I was expecting something like autopilot for my Signature Series Model S.
Elon has a habit of doing this. Case in point: 120 kW supercharging.

I don't think there was anything outside of the steering that people didn't already comment on. "Expect" is another story but I certainly expected that the hardware would be capable of what they added if they did do something to the steering. I even posted to that affect on Tesla's forum. That doesn't mean I had the slightest clue that they would do any of it though. It went beyond what I expected and beyond what I hoped for. Now it's just a matter of when the software appears, and I'm not holding my breath. People with the requisite hardware don't even have 6.0 yet. But it was obvious that they would add ACC, and unlikely that they wouldn't add collision avoidance and blind spot detection since the sensors are already there. It also made little sense to make the software sophisticated enough to read speed limit signs unless they were doing so for additional reasons.

I've been asked by 3 different people who heard about the announcement but didn't actually see it"So, what was it that you had all along and didn't know it?". My reply: "A whole bunch of nuthin'"
---------------
2012 MS85

I've been asked by 3 different people who heard about the announcement but didn't actually see it"So, what was it that you had all along and didn't know it?". My reply: "A whole bunch of nuthin'"
---------------
2012 MS85
He needs to stop saying "all along" unless he really means that even Founders cars have it.

Did he ever say "all along" or did he simply say "already [out] there" because the latter is what's been widely quoted and is accurate in context, but agreeably open to interpretation. The "don't know it" part was certainly true of the steering and brake changes.

Did he ever say "all along" or did he simply say "already [out] there" because the latter is what's been widely quoted and is accurate in context, but agreeably open to interpretation. The "don't know it" part was certainly true of the steering and brake changes.

From the place where phrase came from:

“One of the things is already there, and people just don’t realize it,” Musk said while in conversation with the Aspen Institute’s Walter Isaacson.

Curiously the video doesn't match the write up. So I can't see exactly what he said and given the video it certainly seems like they may have changed what he said.