Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rodents in my Roadster!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So while my Roadster was in for its annual check-up (the first since I purchased it in early August), they discovered that some nasty little varmint had tried to make its home "near one of the high voltage components!" :cursing:

Below are pics of the nest they removed and of the high volt cable the little creep had decided to dine on.

I suppose this is one potential down-side of picking up a 2011 Roadster with only 4500 miles on it. Since I have been driving it almost daily since I got it, I'm guessing this must have happened while the previous own had it sitting up for long periods at a time. Where did he store it? A barn?

Anyway, $
1,667.11 worth of new coolant heater/chiller, wiring and labor later, I have the Roadster back and certified Rodent Free!

I suppose I should count myself lucky the car didn't burst into flames or fry itself... I do hope, however, that the little rascal that did this managed to fry himself on that cable (evil grin).

Rodent1.JPG
Rodent2.JPG

Well, Chevy's have long had "RAT" and "MOUSE" engines.

Guess you will need to revert back to gasoline, but the upside is you can say you have an electric rat-rod.

My suggestion... Adopt a feral cat. SERIOUSLY.

When our cat died, the squirrels got into the roof. $5k damage.

We immediately left food out and adopted a new cat.

Home, cars, property is vermin free again and ever since.

Glad you got off cheap and without being stranded.

Best,

T

I'm sorry CruzInVa. That sucks. Where were the coolant lines that were chewed? I had a red squirrel climb up on top of my PEM and battery one day. I know because I saw his footprints in the dust. Fortunately I took care of him before he chewed on anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Guess you will need to revert back to gasoline, but the upside is you can say you have an electric rat-rod.

Gasoline cars have a long history of rodent damage. Plenty of people have had to replace wiring harnesses, coolant lines, and upholstery.

I'm sorry CruzInVa. That sucks. Where were the coolant lines that were chewed? I had a red squirrel climb up on top of my PEM and battery one day. I know because I saw his footprints in the dust. Fortunately I took care of him before he chewed on anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Gasoline cars have a long history of rodent damage. Plenty of people have had to replace wiring harnesses, coolant lines, and upholstery.

My statements were tongue in cheek, implying his car was now a Chevy and play on words with Rat-Rod.

I'm perfectly aware of rodents and their seemingly insatiable lust for chewing on soft plastic.

Best,

T

P.S. - Stop messing around on this forum and perfect the CAN II already. LOL. Be well.

As far as the garden veggies... Animals like rats do not like the smell of cat urine and do not like the taste of chili peppers.

Adopt a feral cat and consider making a tea out of chili peppers and spraying it onto the plants.

I however do not suggest keeping a cat or its urine in the Roadster.

Best,

T

Back when I had a Lotus Esprit V8 for a couple of years, I let it sit idle for a while during one winter -- and when I got back to it, a rat had chewed up the wiring, badly! I had to have it hauled to Austin, where they replaced the whole wiring harness, which had to come from England. The guys at Lotus said nobody had ever ordered that replacement part before.

I'm planning to put out a fresh tray of rat bait in my garage every month from here on out. It's a cheap and easy precaution against repeating that experience.

Also, watch out for Groundhogs!:wink:

Seriously, though, I have always kept a baited spring trap in my garage. Additionally, you can reduce your risk by searching for small entry points and filling them with steel or copper wool, which will stop rodents from getting through. Remember, an opening as little as a quarter inch is large enough for a mouse to enter! Poison bait is a bad idea not only because it works its' way up the food chain, but most are slow acting enough (12 hours to several days) for the rodent to do some significant damage before it dies.

Last edited: