Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So how do you price a used Model S? Seriously.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

redi

2013 P85+
Aug 31, 2013
DFW, TX
The only thing I have found/read in the forums is the -1K/month + 1K/thousand miles.

Unfortunately I have not found any data in the typical blue book value sites.

How is Tesla doing it?

Thinking about putting my P85+ up for sale at some point for a P85D.

Thanks.

You're close. Don't forget to subtract the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit off the price also. If you're not passing most/all of that tax credit on to the buyer, why wouldn't they just buy an new vehicle and be able to claim it for themselves. You'll also be competing with Tesla loaner vehicle pricing, which uses the same discount formula, but does allow the buyer to claim the tax credit, since the buyer is the first person to register the vehicle.

not everyone is eligabile for the full $7,500 rebate. also applies to only new vehicles.
the $1K month of ownership, $1/mile is how Tesla discounts the loaner fleet for sale.
i've submited a request for Tesla to trade in my Model S, its 22 months old with 21,000 miles on it.
I paid $90K for it in January of 2013. Let's see what Tesla offers on it... i'll update when I get the offer.

Yipes, if that formula is correct I'm going to have to pay someone to take my S off my hands in a few months! 41K miles, 22 months of ownership= $63k, I just paid 82K before the tax credit, so $75. Guess I should sell now for $12k before it gets worse1 #notgonnahappen

The only thing I have found/read in the forums is the -1K/month + 1K/thousand miles.

Unfortunately I have not found any data in the typical blue book value sites.

How is Tesla doing it?

Thinking about putting my P85+ up for sale at some point for a P85D.

Thanks.

This formula only works for 1-3 month old cars, intended for service loaners that aren't expected to stick around very long. Depreciation is at its worst at this time. After that, it tapers off some so a different formula would be necessary.

I would gauge depreciation on Model S to be approximately the same as for a comparable premium car. I think the closest peer to a P85+ that I have would be Audi RS7. I went to Edmunds.com used car price calculator and priced Audi RS7 using the same year/mileage as my P85+, and then calculated what percentage of the new car average selling price (not MSRP) the used car price would be. This exercise produced about 20% depreciation.

As my P85+ cost around $115 back in 2013, the approximate fair value would be 0.8 x 115 = $92K

@yobigd20,

@brianman's a nice guy, but I hear he make his "cash" on a printing press in his basement. I'm told his rather handsome visage graces the wall of post offices and FBI field offices across the land.

PM me your bank account info, and I'll wire $15.5K into your account Monday morning (are the banks open on Columbus Day?) and stop by later that day to pick up the car.

Thanks in advance; I've been looking for a great deal, and this is it! :)

Alan

P.S. I notice the bidding is starting to get frenzied. I'll also toss in $200 in free burritos.
Yes and I'll pay cash. :)

Last edited:
Last edited:
On a more serious note... I've been thinking about the re-sale price of a 2013 P85+, purchased in August, 2013, with 22K gentle, New England miles on it. Strictly hypothetically.

And that $1/mile, $1K/mo formula just doesn't cut it for me after the initial depreciation hump. But what *is* reasonable?

And what about 4-year extended warranty option? And 4-year extended service option?

And... how does one value owner additions, such as:
+ Full-body Xpel
+ OptiCoat everywhere
+ Tinted windows, hatch & sunroof
+ Extra set of 19" wheels & winter tires

Is there a formula for major accessories, e.g., 50% of original purchase price? 5%?

I get it that the car depreciates. And, boy, do I get it that it's all about what the market will bear. But I'm so sick of negotiating with auto dealers on trade-ins and re-sales, and even sick of negotiating with private sellers. I'd love to have a sense of what's "reasonable", and go from there. I'm more interested in a price that's good for both parties than in a price that's great for one party and the other gets screwed. But where to start?

Thanks,
Alan

P.S. Not at all influenced by the D announcement or possible December delivery. Really. Not. At. All.

i've submited a request for Tesla to trade in my Model S, its 22 months old with 21,000 miles on it.
I paid $90K for it in January of 2013. Let's see what Tesla offers on it... i'll update when I get the offer.

To whom or where did you submit the request to trade? I want to do the same thing but am not sure where to start. Very interested in what you hear from them.

Mike

One of the best place to determine market value for almost anything is ebay "completed listings", and this seems particularly true for Teslas.

Used model s are bringing well above guaranteed buyback.

You want SOLD LISTINGS. Not COMPLETED LISTINGS. completed listings include cars NOT sold. So you could have 300 model S listed at $200k that never sold but that doesn't represent their value whatsoever. That's like if you listing your house on the market for 3x it's market value. You can't appraise the value of your property by listing prices. You must look at the SOLD listings instead.