Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Added power consumption from charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Going through the HOA approval process to install a 220V 50A line for charging in my condo building. They asked me for some numbers on KWh used. Can someone provide some monthly numbers on energy usage and mileage driven? Thanks.

At 10 cents per kWh, figure $1 per hour of charging on a 50A circuit. That gives you 29 miles rated range.

Those are rated miles. Depending on your driving style and number of miles, it's probably 0.35 to 0.45 kWh/mi from the wall including charger efficiency of about 90% and vampire, pre-heating, etc losses. (350 Wh/mi to 450 Wh/mi) Multiple those by miles driven per month, year, etc and you will get corresponding kWh per period.

Most of my (nomal commute, non-spirited) driving I average about 300 Watt-hours per mile, maybe a tad over. Add in a little extra for non-locomotion energy usage (lights, climate control, vampire losses) and battery and charging inefficiency; call it 350 Watt-hours pulled from the wall per mile driven.

From there you just have to multiply by the number of miles you drive per month. 1000 miles x 350 Watt-hours per mile = 350,000 Watt-hours = 350 kWh per month. Adjust for your driving habits accordingly.

Here are my numbers from the spreadsheet I keep on my energy usage. My "at wall" energy usage is roughly 20% higher than the Odometer kWh readings. Some observations: My watt usage per mile has gone down over the time I have owned the car; driving in winter uses more engery, even here in California. Hope the information helps. January of 2013 is the first entry

Total miles.jpg