Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AWD, and 295 range, retrofitable?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry if I missed this anywhere, but any news on retrofits of AWD? Somebody on the telsamotors.com message boards said they heard it it will be available.

I have had my S for only 10 days and I decided not to wait for AWD because I thought it would cost a lot more and probably not be more efficient. For $4,000 I would have sprung for AWD, more range and more power for sure. I am hoping there is a retrofit for close to that price, that would be awesome.

Thanks a lot.....and great to see Tesla relentlessly innovating!

Sorry if I missed this anywhere, but any news on retrofits of AWD? Somebody on the telsamotors.com message boards said they heard it it will be available.

I have had my S for only 10 days and I decided not to wait for AWD because I thought it would cost a lot more and probably not be more efficient. For $4,000 I would have sprung for AWD, more range and more power for sure. I am hoping there is a retrofit for close to that price, that would be awesome.

The parts exist, so in theory it's possible. But I'm pretty sure it would cost more than selling your car and buying a new one with AWD would. Probably a lot more. Plus, that way you get autopilot. :)
Walter

Anybody have knowledge/thoughts about about the new range.....will it be highway range or city range? City range would not really mean anything to me, but increased highway range would be value added to me. I am assuming the front axle is geared to optimize at a certain speed. Thanks

I can think of very little of the evolutionary upgrades made to the Model S that have been retrofittable at anything short of a ridiculous price. The only exception I am aware of was the battery armor plate and this was free.

If you have a desire to move to AWD and autopilot, you'll have to buy a new one (or you'll probably spend as much on the upgrade :) ) I would love to be proven wrong on this but I think history shows I am in a safe position.

It wouldn't have to be a cheap retrofit for it to make some sense. If it was near the cost difference of selling the car and buying a new one, then it would still make some sense. And the resale of even the cars that were delivered two weeks ago (like mine) just dropped like a rock, so it could be a big number and be worth it for some people. And you wouldn't be waiting until February or later for the new car deliveries.

Highly unlikely, since your car has nowhere to put a front motor. And the rear motor would have to be replaced as well with the smaller version.