Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Which internet radio provider do Tesla use in the UK?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An it can either use a Premium Rdio account or the one that comes with the car, both suffer from a bug where only Rdio stations can be played which is OK if you don't want to listen to a specific track / album as it's near impossible to get exactly what you asked for.

Also, the 3G connectivity in the UK is patchy at best, I have no idea why Tesla didn't go direct with a 3 and 4G capable option, it's not like it would have been a big cost in the price of the car.

An it can either use a Premium Rdio account or the one that comes with the car, both suffer from a bug where only Rdio stations can be played which is OK if you don't want to listen to a specific track / album as it's near impossible to get exactly what you asked for.

Also, the 3G connectivity in the UK is patchy at best, I have no idea why Tesla didn't go direct with a 3 and 4G capable option, it's not like it would have been a big cost in the price of the car.

I listen to RDIO (standard) exclusively in my car. My commute to work has continuous 3G no problem.

I've found you can play a specific track pretty easily, but not an album. I'd assumed it was a DRM thing rather than a bug.

There's also Tunein, which will allow you to listen to more conventional "radio over internet" stations.
Create an account on tunein.com and add some favourite stations (where you can easily search for them) - then add those login details to the car, you can easily open those favourite stations (or instead you could try to navigate around the UI for a station in-car, but that seems to be more targeted toward selecting a station by location or genre rather than searching for a specific station)

Personally I prefer RDIO as well - choose a track you want to listen to (and that defines your music taste), then skip or down-vote the stuff you don't want to listen to. I found a few "old friends" this way ("Jealous" by Gene Loves Jezebel, etc :) )

Does the up/down-voting in RDIO actually do anything by the way? I know down-voting will skip to the next track, but I'm sure I've heard tracks I've down-voted come back (and expected them to be removed from any future sessions)

Thanks - I didn't think to look at the rdio site itself (!)

Reading that though, it appears to have been next to useless last year (seriously...only remembering the votes for a few days!?!), but further down that thread (in a post dated Feb 24) RDIO says:

We've changed Stations to display the following behavior:

- anytime you down vote a track, it will never appear again on any Station
- if you click on the 'x' it will skip the track not down vote it
- if you skip a track it will appear again
- your preferences are now remembered permanently
- all likes/dislikes affect all Stations (it's not isolated to that station)
- you're unable to ban artist at this time

So RDIO now supports down voting to mean never play that track again - however I'm sure I've heard the same track repeated
So - either:
1. Tesla have not implemented them and "down" just equals skip and "up" does nothing
2. Any problem in transmitting the vote is ignored (very possible with the state of the O2 coverage - the music being played may be from the cache and the vote done when the connection was down)
3. It may be the same track from a different album or perhaps they were recorded vs live (i.e. not technically the same track, but enough for me to think they were the same)

I obviously need to do more experimenting (tsk..another excuse to drive around in the car without necessarily going somewhere specific (as if I needed one))

Thanks mellington

Tip to Tesla devs if they are reading this: If the up-vote showed up as already pressed when a previously up-voted track is played it would give us some feedback that something is happening

RDIO is pretty good, although with some selections the variation you then get is very limited. I'd much prefer to use TuneIn, but none of the stations I want to listen to are available in Spain...

...yes, our IP addresses in the UK are STILL reporting as being in Spain.