Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19's on a P85D or P85+

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85D only comes with 21''s?

Any insight as to why the P85D only comes with the 21s? I have 21s for my current S85 and after going through 4 21" rims/tires in the months of May - July up here in Boston, I just put my 19s on and will probably keep it that way. Would love a P85D, but 21s won't do even in the summer....nevermind the snow!

Thoughts?

Any insight as to why the P85D only comes with the 21s? I have 21s for my current S85 and after going through 4 21" rims/tires in the months of May - July up here in Boston, I just put my 19s on and will probably keep it that way. Would love a P85D, but 21s won't do even in the summer....nevermind the snow!

Thoughts?
Buy the car with the gray 21s. Trade/sell them to pick up 19s. ;)

Because if you have a car with 0-60 times that are only 10% slower than the latest top-of-the-line Ferrari or McLaren and throttle response that's faster, the sidewall flex of the 19" tires makes a real difference. Putting 19" tires on it in the summer would be like DaVinci painting the Mona Lisa on velvet. If you're going to do that, I would think seriously about getting the 85D instead.

I believe that the P85D has the same asymmetric front/rear wheel layout for the 21's as the P85+, but that is unclear to me at this point. Maybe someone has better info.

I have an early P85 Sig with symmetric (same all around) 21's now and am considering a P85D. On the P85, it is easy to change to 19's with good Hakka snow tires for winter driving.

Is a swap to 19's and snow tires possible and reasonable to do on the P85+ or the P85S with their asymmetric front/rear wheel layout for the 21's?

- - - Updated - - -

Well one clue that it is possible is that the Tesla Web order page will let you select a set of 19" snow tires as an option for the P85D.

This could be a reality or a mistake in limitations programed into the order system. I would hope the former...

Because if you have a car with 0-60 times that are only 10% slower than the latest top-of-the-line Ferrari or McLaren and throttle response that's faster, the sidewall flex of the 19" tires makes a real difference. Putting 19" tires on it in the summer would be like DaVinci painting the Mona Lisa on velvet. If you're going to do that, I would think seriously about getting the 85D instead.

That being said, is there an issue putting the 19 inch tires/rims on in the winter?

The P85+ only came with 21" wheels and this is the replacement for the P85+ (and presumably includes all the suspension upgrades the P85+ had). So this isn't really surprising at all is it?
Presuming your referring to the hypothesis that the D comes with staggered wheels...

It's not so much a surprise as a dashed hope. The hope that with AWD you don't need the staggered wheels. Perhaps Lola can come by and explain in simple terms why that hope was foolhardy to have in the first place. :)

You're quoting straight-line numbers, though, and sidewall flex is primarily an issue during cornering until you're up into serious things like Top Fuel drags (side note: search YouTube for very cool videos of slow-motion Top Fuel tires at launch). The typical driver would struggle to notice any difference whatsoever in handling between the same tires (brand/model, not size) on a 19" and a 21" wheel. Indeed, the car I usually track has the same profile as the 19"s on an S and, for example, the McLaren F1 used 45s, the current Corvette uses 40s, and so forth.

I think it's reasonable to expect that many people would daily drive the P85D and a stiff summer tire on 19"s (or, better, straight 20"s) would be an extremely attractive compromise that maintains straight-line performance, but gives up a little in cornering in favor of practicality (price, longevity). I also suspect many will be purchased in areas that see snow, and for winter use you want the smallest/narrowest tire you can put up with for use in the snow. For that 19"s will be a serious option.

Well....I don't live in San Jose CA. I live in Boston. I would argue that the roads here are older and have more potholes than any place in the country. I have 21s. I love them and would much rather have them on my current model s in the summer. But, even driving with the utmost caution, I ripped through an entire set of 21s in a matter of 2.5 months. After my fourth tire - I had enough and put on my 19s. I now have a brand new set of 21 rims/tires w/TPMS sitting in my barn and I just cannot seem to part with them. The bigger issue is that this is just the summer time argument. The 21s would likely be worthless to me Dec - Mid April.

All this said.....I guess my question was whether putting 19s on a P85D was possible/recommended. And yes, I could just get an 85D....but I want the P85D - no matter how childish that sounds.

Since the design center suggests winter tires for the P85D, and a 19" winter tire package is available with this option, I would presume 1) 19" clear the breaks and 2) nothing will happen if you keep 19" in summer (other than loosing some performance). I changed my p85+ order to p85d and asked for the 19" winter tires, no problem

P85D only comes with 21''s?

I sent a letter to Jerome and the general feedback@ alias regarding the lack of a 19" option on the P85D. Like many here, I think the 21's look great, and in many areas of the country the low profile tires are not an issue. But after going through many ties on my plus, I purchased aftermarket 19" wheels and tires. I asked Jerome to consider giving customers the option to make a choice that best fits their individual situation. If you feel strongly about this, I encourage you to let Tesla know.

Last edited:

Absolutely. Lessor tires defeat the purpose of getting such a high performance car.