Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Order changed from P85+ to P85D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yup, got real concerned I was buying an orphan when I saw the presser last night.

This morning I changed my order to P85D.

Woohoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend who drives a P85 performance texted me this morning that his car is now a relic.

Not sure I'd go remotely that far, but the new car looks incredible.

Gratz!

What was the delta on your cost/price? Other than + to D, what features were added/removed with the change as a consequence of the general structural change in Design Studio?

Thanks for sharing the data point for current and future reference!

I think the original P85's are going to be hit hard on price. They're in an odd spot now of neither being nearly as fast as the new PDs which rules out most performance buyers. And not nearly as good a value if you want a long range EV as an S85 which rules out most non-performance buyers.

I switched my reservation from P85 to P85D as well. Change in price was +$18,100. It looks like things like parking sensor and fog upgrades are now built into the Technology Package. My original design did not have 21" Wheels and the "D" requires them.

I think the original P85's are going to be hit hard on price. They're in an odd spot now of neither being nearly as fast as the new PDs which rules out most performance buyers. And not nearly as good a value if you want a long range EV as an S85 which rules out most non-performance buyers.
I'm still hopeful. The price delta between a used P85 and new P85+ is giant, and the P85's 4.2s (supposedly more like 3.9s) 0-60 is no slouch. If there is a big hit, it won't be until it starts getting common to see used P85Ds up for sale.

You guys are making me feel bad. I don't even HAVE my new P85 yet. It finished production 3 days ago.

At least I should have the new autopilot hardware. I bet those who just got their cars a few weeks ago without the hardware feel even worse.

Ah, the nonstop forward motion of innovation.

How did you change your order. Here in Canada they sales people don't know if that is even possible. I have a late November delivery and I definitely would like to change it. My status says that "I am in queue for production". I definitely don't want an orphan on delivery.

You should read this thread:

Who in Canada will order the new P85D? - Page 3

I also recommend anyone else who has one in production read it. There's probably no guarantee that they'll apply your cancelled deposit to a new purchase, but it's something to consider.

I was scheduled for December delivery. I found out from my DS today that cars in queue now will NOT have Autopilot system activated. The only way to get the new systems is to place a new order with the new Tech Package. I changed my configuration to the S85D. Since my original order was to have the Performance seats, the difference in cost for me is only $2,500 more. The only downside for me is the agonizing wait until February delivery.

I was scheduled for December delivery. I found out from my DS today that cars in queue now will NOT have Autopilot system activated. The only way to get the new systems is to place a new order with the new Tech Package. I changed my configuration to the S85D. Since my original order was to have the Performance seats, the difference in cost for me is only $2,500 more. The only downside for me is the agonizing wait until February delivery.

First I've heard of that. Numerous people that have received the vehicles have the sensors active for the limited set of features they have implemented. I'm wondering if your DS didn't mean that the features won't be active on delivery, since the software isn't done yet and maybe it will be by the time the new cars are built. Despite this it's still possible, they've software disabled hardware people didn't buy before (40 kWh cars, UK dual chargers). If this is true, I feel sorry for the owners they put the sensors on their vehicle that will taunt them. As I said in another thread, the result of this will be Tesla offers a fee to enable a fee after the people who are getting this get upset. There's a small minority of us that just missed it. There's going to be a lot of cars between now and December when the first batch of the cars from the new order system start getting made (and those are only the P85Ds, the other vehicles will probably be into 2015).

First I've heard of that. Numerous people that have received the vehicles have the sensors active for the limited set of features they have implemented. I'm wondering if your DS didn't mean that the features won't be active on delivery, since the software isn't done yet and maybe it will be by the time the new cars are built. Despite this it's still possible, they've software disabled hardware people didn't buy before (40 kWh cars, UK dual chargers). If this is true, I feel sorry for the owners they put the sensors on their vehicle that will taunt them. As I said in another thread, the result of this will be Tesla offers a fee to enable a fee after the people who are getting this get upset. There's a small minority of us that just missed it. There's going to be a lot of cars between now and December when the first batch of the cars from the new order system start getting made (and those are only the P85Ds, the other vehicles will probably be into 2015).

Looks like that's exactly what they are doing, the other Autopilot requires Tech Package thread has more people saying roughly the same thing.

I was the crazy person who started calling right after the presentation and left three messages between last night and this morning to make sure I could change my config to P85D :D

I've had my reservation since June of last year, so my delta probably wont be representative. My final price (even with the increases since then) was about $7k more. Well worth it.

Texex, you in??

How did you change your order. Here in Canada they sales people don't know if that is even possible. I have a late November delivery and I definitely would like to change it. My status says that "I am in queue for production". I definitely don't want an orphan on delivery.

I'm from Canada and did just this yesterday. Same situation - in queue for production. I wanted to convert me P85 to a P85D. Procedurally you have to actually cancel the old order and place a new one, but they transfer your deposit. It's not a big deal.