Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

So how disappoionted are you that the D event wasn't also an X event?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
They must be having issues with the albatross wing doors. What else could it be?

I've been on the fence about the X vs an AWD S all along. Now even more likey to go with an S85D, but still would like to see the X first.

Was quite. Am not at all.

I expect that a lot of people were wanting the X for the AWD. I view AWD as increasing the appeal of the car in a market that's increasingly drifting to AWD. Tesla has shown they can do AWD without a huge premium, which is important now and for the future.

This event showcased the AWD and also the Autopilot/driver assist tech which both have strong safety appeal.

Although it would have been nice to have the Model X Beta there to confirm that they're on track for Spring 2015 production, I think the reveal had enough with the AWD and Autopilot to impress. A separate X event will be able to focus on the 3 additions: the stupid falcon doors, the fancy rear seating and towing.

Gratz on the announcement of new features for your X!

Yes! And thanks to all the future D owners who will end up perfecting that! And all new Auto Pilot and Active Safety owners for making it possible the most safest car ever.

I took this event to mean that the Model X will be amazing, as it will share the same dual motor AWD and autopilot features.
Yes, up to the unveil I seriously thought it might sway me away. However dual motor + larger passenger and carrying capacity, ride height is what will keep me waiting, no matter if it takes them another year from now.

At the event last night I overheard a couple very disapointed nothing was mentioned about the Model X, like many they assumed the final X would be revealed & had not heard Elon's comments from the Vanity Fair interview, I don't know if they had flown in for the event but the wife was shocked & pretty pissed.

I took this event to mean that the Model X will be amazing, as it will share the same dual motor AWD and autopilot features.

I'd go one step further and say that I took the event to mean that the Model 3 will be completely unbelievable with everything they just showed, working flawlessly in three years time once it has been road-tested with the D and X, and some things we can't even imagine. I will definitely be buying a Model 3 with AWD, mega-battery, autopilot, etc. I love my Model S, but I know that a slightly smaller Model 3 with all the tricks will be a perfect car for me (and a very large segment of the world's population). The fun never stops with these guys.

At the event last night I overheard a couple very disapointed nothing was mentioned about the Model X, like many they assumed the final X would be revealed & had not heard Elon's comments from the Vanity Fair interview, I don't know if they had flown in for the event but the wife was shocked & pretty pissed.

I was at the event and I was blown away by the autopilot during my test drive. The P85D drove itself back to the starting area thru a serpentine course at 30mph (reading the speed limit signs and auto-steered). No one I talked to was expecting model x or model 3 news because Elon clearly said at VF interview that there wouldn't be news on those cars. I don't get people sometimes. Maybe I'm just better informed than most.

Thought I would be disepointed if X did not show up, but actualy I did not.
Had a realy good time, talked to som realy nice people, got some free drinks, snack and a vater bottle (most exspensive one I ever got). ;-)

The reason I did not get uppset or anything, is the info I got. If I choose a X P85 it will by far be det fastes SUV/Multvan that exsist by a large margin.
If I choose the S60 og S85 I will get the safest car ever build for my familie, that can self park in my narrow garage.
And pick me up outside the groseri store, when I am out shopping. (Maybe not the first week or year, but only software upgrades is needed.

I will get the safes, fastes and coolest SUV/Multivan on this planet, the only thing that would make it even better was getting it today. ;-)
(The only thing I am getting today, is a airplain ride home. :)

The Model X very much deserves its own Hype event. Lumping it together with the D event would be like the opposite of killing two birds with one stone.

The stage has been set now. We can see a lot of what the Model X will have now, and as per Mr. Musk, it sure does beat the model unveiled in 2012. The increase in range purely due to software is astounding and bodes very well for the X range, as well as for Model 3.

I am very interested in knowing more about the X's clearance. I had both 19 inch right tires bent by a stinking camouflaged sinkhole on the Horace Harding and would very much like to know that this would be much harder to accomplish with the X.

They must be having issues with the albatross wing doors. What else could it be?

I've been on the fence about the X vs an AWD S all along. Now even more likey to go with an S85D, but still would like to see the X first.

So, at an event that was never billed as being about The X, and for which Elon re-iterated via interview that they were not featuring The X, they were true to their word and it was all about The S thus you logically conclude[1] there must be an issue with the Falcon Wing doors?

Oh Kay.

[1] And manage to throw a back-handed insult in as well

Last edited:
As others have said, I'm pretty happy that the D will give Tesla some time to get the AWD working well before it's in the X. I'm a bit disappointed not in this announcement, but rather that the X looks like quite a ways off still. OTOH, perhaps the larger battery will be available when the X does finally go into production.