Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts on the All Wheel Drive Option for the 85 vs. the Standard Single Motor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have placed a deposit on an S85 and have a few days before confirming. This morning I am seriously thinking of changing the order to the AWD (two motor) D version ($4k difference in price). When I placed my deposit last week some of the Tesla service guys voiced that it was a great time to buy a Tesla as many of the kinks have been worked out of the S as a function of the number of years that it has been on the street for refinements and improvements. I am a bit concerned about being the early adopter on the new All Wheel Drive version and the associated drive train. Any reactions, thoughts or perspectives would be appreciated.

My thought is this: it's been a long time coming so I wouldn't expect any really serious kinks (I think that any hint of the engineering challenge of the falcon doors as being the source of the X delay was a smokescreen for them getting the AWD system right); if there were any serious kink found the worse that would happen would be they'd shut down one of the motors and you'd have to put up with unexciting performance for a while.

A possible benefit could be that if one motor controller blows you could still drive the car on the other motor.

I was just thinking through this myself during my shower this morning. However I confirmed in August so I don't think it's an option.

Pros:

1) Better range (not clear how much yet until EPA certified range comes out)
2) Better distribution of tire wear since front motor will also do regen
3) Slightly faster acceleration
4) The normal benefits of AWD if you live in areas with bad winter weather

Cons:
1) Price (?) although it's in line with the premium you'd pay to get AWD on comparable vehicles
2) No delivery until 2015. This means no tax credit until you file in 2016, and state incentives might expire before then.
3) Possibly more technical issues since the AWD platform is not as mature as the existing RWD; they'll be getting the bugs worked out on the Model S so that it'll be more robust for the Model X

I'll be happy with my RWD version and the "tweaked" 380hp motor that's now standard. I suspect this motor has been standard for quite some time given that 0-60 times have been improving on the base models recently.

Living in Plano why would you need AWD? It does add a good bit of complexity to the vehicle.

I think range improvements will be slight to non-noticable. I would think the only real benefit (without AWDs benefits in very specific low grip situations) would be even tire wear, but not necessarily less. But for $4k you could buy 4 sets of 19" tires before you had to worry about the cost savings.

Don't get me wrong AWD is very helpful in some (mostly rare) situations. But I would say mostly it is just a marketing ploy in todays automotive world.

Now when you need to go 0-60 in less than 4 seconds there really isn't an option but to turn all 4 wheels. But without that, and without snow or ice. I really don't see the need for AWD.

I don't understand, Tesla's website now lists the S60 with single motor as 380 HP, same as S85 with single motor. Did the single motor drive train change as well? Or is this just a website goof.

Tesla config page.jpg

It's all part of the Tesla experience, in a sense, we where all "beta testers". eventually, whatever issues come up are resolved, ive had all my door handles replaced, 12V battery swapped out (tesla called ME to tell me it was needed), my Dc-Dc converter was swapped out, numerous bolts/bushings doodads changed out (under factory change orders), underbody titanium protection installed, new front defroster vent installed... I can't even remember all of it. I'd say get it, if you can. the one negative is, since the non "P85D" won't be delivered until February of 2015, you'll have to wait for your $7,500 federal tax credit until you file your 2015 taxes in April of 2016... unless you upgrade to the "P85D" and get delivery in December :)

It appears that the dual 21" wheel sizes (front/rear) used on the P85+ have been dropped on the D. That makes things simpler. The web site offers both 21 & 19 inch wheels for winter use on the D, but elsewhere the site indicates that 21 inch snow tires are required. This brings to mind another software option for the D that would be useful: a setting to reduce maximum power in winter. This addition would also lend itself to a valet mode (or a let your kid borrow the car mode).

I wonder whether the suspension on the D is more advanced than the RWD P85?

UPDATE

It appears that the new front seats with better lateral support will be used in the D!

Last edited:
It appears that the dual 21" wheel sizes (front/rear) used on the P85+ have been dropped on the D. That makes things simpler. The web site offers both 21 & 19 inch wheels for winter use on the D, but elsewhere the site indicates that 21 inch snow tires are required. This brings to mind another software option for the D that would be useful: a setting to reduce maximum power in winter. This addition would also lend itself to a valet mode (or a let your kid borrow the car mode).

I wonder whether the suspension on the D is more advanced than the RWD P85?

I'm sorry that Tesla didn't use the D to inaugurate its new front seat design. You're certainly going to need it in this car. Apparently, we'll see the new seats by the end of the year.

Yep I'm glad they are changing them--just wish they posted a pic or showed them.

If you TRULY get 30 extra miles from dual motors, its a no brainer for me. I mean going from a 60 to and 85 is worth the increase. Getting AWD and getting more range for 4k is a great price. Especially since it dropped by 1k!

If I was able to do it, I would purchase the 85D

Thanks for the fast feedback on my question regarding modifying my S85 build to include AWD. After reading the Forum input and speaking with the folks at Tesla in CA and TX I opted to add the "D". I confirmed my order for Feb. delivery last night. I will post my experiences with the car when it arrives.

I don't understand, Tesla's website now lists the S60 with single motor as 380 HP, same as S85 with single motor. Did the single motor drive train change as well? Or is this just a website goof.

I suspect Tesla is being a bit sneaky here. Both the S60 and S85 have the same 380 hp motor. But the S60 battery/inverter is not powerful enough to feed that motor 100% and this is where the slower 0-60 time comes from.

Which also makes me wonder how truthful the 690 hp P85D claim is...

Which also makes me wonder how truthful the 690 hp P85D claim is...

Given the 11.8 quarter-mile time that Road&Track gives for the P85D (what is their source by the way?), my guess is "not very", the 3.2 time is obtained by having much more combined torque and reaching the same peak power as the P85, but earlier. It's a bit frustrating that Tesla doesn't communicate beyond this 0-60 time to have a better understanding of the power/torque curve.