Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Are Parking Sensors now standard?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looked through the design center. It says that the sensors are standard now, and since the option of "Parking Sensors" (which I think was a $500 option on top of the tech package) is not available as a standalone option anymore. Do you think I need to add the Tech Package to get parking sensors (and the associated functionality) or does it now come standard?

They re-did a lot, but one thing seems to remain constant. The tech package isn't truly optional. You only get half the car features without it. They specifically state that all the driver assist functions require it, I'm sure parking sensors are in there too.

Quite a big re-jigging of the options overnight though. And actually a slight price drop (at least here in Canada)

Do you think I need to add the Tech Package to get parking sensors (and the associated functionality) or does it now come standard?

Yes if you want the parking sensors you now have to buy the Tech Package as they are part of that option.

The S is a great car in the base/no options version but the Tech Package makes it an insanely awesome car and I highly recommend that option.

My DS said they up'd the price of the tech package , which offset the 500 they were charging for parking sensors.

That doesn't make sense. The parking sensors aren't mentioned anywhere in the design studio now. However, the fog light feature is also gone as an option but is listed in the Tech package on the design studio.

My interpretation is that they eliminated the parking sensors as an option and all vehicles get them (presumably because they're not using the same sonar sensors for that as they are using for Autopilot), while fog lights are not part of the Tech package.

That doesn't make sense. The parking sensors aren't mentioned anywhere in the design studio now. However, the fog light feature is also gone as an option but is listed in the Tech package on the design studio.

My interpretation is that they eliminated the parking sensors as an option and all vehicles get them (presumably because they're not using the same sonar sensors for that as they are using for Autopilot), while fog lights are not part of the Tech package.

Here is the email I received after asking if I would be charged for the parking sensors.

"Parking sensors are now included in the Tech package. However, the Tech package has increased in price to account for this. The driver assist hardware will be standard. It sounds like a win win to me."

Can someone tell me if the old style parking sensors are the same as the new ones? I want to know if our car would possibly work with the ultrasonic proximity features that will be available soon (blind spot, parking assist, maybe others).

Do the newer cars have more sensors to detect objects along side of the car?

Ours has 4 sensors on the rear bumper and 4 on the front.

Here is the email I received after asking if I would be charged for the parking sensors.

"Parking sensors are now included in the Tech package. However, the Tech package has increased in price to account for this. The driver assist hardware will be standard. It sounds like a win win to me."

I'm sure that's what they told you. But frankly, I don't trust anything Telsa tells me at this point. Their employees seem to be poorly informed about new things and you'll get multiple answers from different people. There were 2 $500 options that were rolled into the Tech Package and it only went up by $500. We've already seen people reporting they got the new sensors and have functional parking sensors without ordering the Parking Sensors option or the Tech Package option.

- - - Updated - - -

Can someone tell me if the old style parking sensors are the same as the new ones? I want to know if our car would possibly work with the ultrasonic proximity features that will be available soon (blind spot, parking assist, maybe others).

Do the newer cars have more sensors to detect objects along side of the car?

Ours has 4 sensors on the rear bumper and 4 on the front.

Doubtful, your car is missing the sensors that wrap around onto the side of each bumper. The new cars have 6 sensors on each bumper. That extra 2 sensors is what enables things like blind spot detection. I suspect the cars with 4 sensors only have 120 degree visiblity from each bumper as opposed to the 180 the 6 sensor cars have.

I'm sure that's what they told you. But frankly, I don't trust anything Telsa tells me at this point. Their employees seem to be poorly informed about new things and you'll get multiple answers from different people. There were 2 $500 options that were rolled into the Tech Package and it only went up by $500. We've already seen people reporting they got the new sensors and have functional parking sensors without ordering the Parking Sensors option or the Tech Package option.

Good point.

I was told the same thing. Not interested in AWD. So cancelled and placed a new order for S85. Delivery delayed by another 2 months but hope that the wait will be worth the autopilot features in the future:smile:

Guys, the parking sensors just became "sensors". And the sensors are part of the group of 12 sensors the car needs for the Autopilot. So, you're not going to see them as a separate line item. So the parking assist is a lesser feature of the driver assist package.

Last edited: