Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Model D, cancellation or order upgrade rights??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys I'm about to enter the Tesla HK Club with my new Model S, I just closed the order last week, and now I've just watched the D unveil with a sick feeling in my stomach. Has anyone here been able to reopen a closed order and modify their order very shortly after they've closed it?

I have a feeling that the D model is going to make the regular Model S immediately drop in value now (as HK is like that) I don't want to have bought a new car and as it arrives it's worth 50% of it's value or something ridiculous!

Although I plan to keep my car for a long time, I don't think I could stomach the fact that I purchased such an expensive car right at the major change in it's lifecycle. I'll lose sleep!

Hey guys I'm about to enter the Tesla HK Club with my new Model S, I just closed the order last week, and now I've just watched the D unveil with a sick feeling in my stomach. Has anyone here been able to reopen a closed order and modify their order very shortly after they've closed it?

I have a feeling that the D model is going to make the regular Model S immediately drop in value now (as HK is like that) I don't want to have bought a new car and as it arrives it's worth 50% of it's value or something ridiculous!

Although I plan to keep my car for a long time, I don't think I could stomach the fact that I purchased such an expensive car right at the major change in it's lifecycle. I'll lose sleep!

If you have concerns, call Tesla now and talk to them. I think if you ordered a P85, I would be concerned. Not so much for standard 60 or 85.

One comment: The "D" models may not be available until next year, and even the ordering pages are not up yet for anywhere except USA.

Yeah I've spoken to them, but no one in Hong Kong is equipped to even know what to do yet. It's great that they did the sneak reveal for new customers, but it makes all of us half way to order people lose sleep and get anxious because no one has answers for us.

I can't imagine they will hold the D model back if it's just a simple switch in production, otherwise they will lose valuable preorders from other regions. They must launch it now that they are advertising it surely?

Frankly don't jump the gun..

Seems like there are some updates for P85D, but the most important upgrade in suspension seems missing

I would say my P85+ can barely handle 416bhp (Still good but feels a bit soft) unless you are on coil and upgrade by yourself.

Can't imagine 691....:rolleyes:

If they are giving P85D a firmer Air Suspension / Sporty Coil / revised geometry then I'm in!!!!!

Re: suspension, the P85D has P85+ like suspension upgrades, but now optimized for not just the dual motor platform but also this particular performance version of the dual motor platform. If you were waiting on a P85+, it kind of seems like an obvious choice to me to switch to the P85D. Of course if one hasn't ordered yet, then no choice at all... The P85+ is gone and completely replaced for new orders.

Re: suspension, the P85D has P85+ like suspension upgrades, but now optimized for not just the dual motor platform but also this particular performance version of the dual motor platform. If you were waiting on a P85+, it kind of seems like an obvious choice to me to switch to the P85D. Of course if one hasn't ordered yet, then no choice at all... The P85+ is gone and completely replaced for new orders.

even if you order S85 or S60, you should switch to the D. Just look at the seats...

Imagine you are shopping for a 2nd hand MS 3-4 years later, which one would you pick?

My outdated P85+ is up for sell @28car I am not sure if I will be a Tesla customer again.

even if you order S85 or S60, you should switch to the D. Just look at the seats...

Imagine you are shopping for a 2nd hand MS 3-4 years later, which one would you pick?

My outdated P85+ is up for sell @28car I am not sure if I will be a Tesla customer again.

You're not being fair to Tesla. They were very upfront that they would be continuously upgrading the model and options. Did you expect your car to be "cutting edge" Forever?

If you leave Tesla then you will always be away from the "cutting edge." Your P85+ is still better than nearly every other car on the road. It is certainly better than any other car in its price range. The new Ferrari is always better than the old Ferrari and that is just plain true for every car out there.

Grendal and Lioyd, If u received the car in Aug 2014 but ordered it in 2012 (that's what we, hk Signature owner did). U won't say that....

We confirmed our ordet Feb this year , but delivery took almost 6 months, that's much more than what it takes in the States. RHD delivery is just messy and not fair...

According to the blog, things like the seat improvements are already in production. The only thing the blog lists as coming with dual motors is "Electrically opening, self-closing charge port door on Dual Motor Model S (delivered with Dual Motor Model S)". And I can't believe that will be D-exclusive for that long...

It would be good if Tesla could clarify the exact differences between the different models and options available.

If you leave Tesla then you will always be away from the "cutting edge." Your P85+ is still better than nearly every other car on the road. It is certainly better than any other car in its price range. The new Ferrari is always better than the old Ferrari and that is just plain true for every car out there.

You are right on the points, but Tesla is not being fair to HK owners as well. Some of us waited over 2 years for the car, and it turned into an outdated version just 2 monyhs into ownership. They could've launch the P85D at the very beginning....

Agree Thomas. It took us almost 6 months from confirmation to delivery (Tesla have enough time to tell us about The D). I think it takes 3 month for delivery in US after confirmation?

For other brand like BMW or MB, their RHD arrive less than 1 year after LHD delivery or at least long time before any facelift happen.

Last edited:
Agree Thomas. It took us almost 6 months from confirmation to delivery (Tesla have enough time to tell us about The D). I think it takes 3 month for delivery in US after confirmation?

For other brand like BMW or MB, their RHD arrive less than 1 year or at least long time before any facelift happen.
I bet most of the signature owners wouldn't mind waiting for another 6 months if they knew about the D, since most of us waited for so long already......
I am sending out emails to Tesla and see what they say, not in hoping of anything, but as least some sort of explanations.......

Last edited:
@sonywong: Took almost exactly one year from deposit until the delivery of my BMW i3. Friend of mine will have waited almost 1.5 years when he gets his i8 in February. In defence of Tesla, not only them have long waiting times.

@sonywong: Took almost exactly one year from deposit until the delivery of my BMW i3. Friend of mine will have waited almost 1.5 years when he gets his i8 in February. In defence of Tesla, not only them have long waiting times.

But it was definitely the worst time to launch Model S in HK and it was clearly a poor decision made by Tesla, its not like we knew the D will be coming soon and we insisted on getting our cars early. We knew nothing about what they do except they kept on delaying and delaying.....

I am talking about the waiting time after LHD delivery. In your case, took u 1 year for i3 and maybe that's 6 months after LHD delivery. Your friend's RHD I8 arrived Feb this year? that's inline with LHD.

You are right on the points, but Tesla is not being fair to HK owners as well. Some of us waited over 2 years for the car, and it turned into an outdated version just 2 monyhs into ownership. They could've launch the P85D at the very beginning....

No, they probably couldn't. They have almost certainly been working as hard and as fast as they can to get it ready, and this is the earliest that they could get it ready. They need this drivetrain for Model X. If they could have announced it earlier, they surely would have: great press, and more expensive cars with higher margins. They would have benefited hugely from announcing earlier; if they didn't, it's probably because they couldn't.

They are not being unfair to you. They are moving forward as fast as they can, and there will always be someone who orders a car just before a major upgrade is announced. That's no fun for this person, but Tesla is not being "unfair" to you. I have a P85, and the P85+ -- which I would definitely have wanted! -- was announced just TWO DAYS after Tesla confirmed that my car was in assembly and no further changes could be made. I didn't like it one bit, but some parts of timing are just good or bad luck. You are not being screwed by Tesla. Ask them, nicely, what they can do for you. And remember that whatever they do, if they do anything at all, is really optional and good customer service on their part.

Tesla has always been clear that they would continue to improve the car and offer more options along the way. What part of that is a surprise to you?

- - - Updated - - -

I am talking about the waiting time after LHD delivery. In your case, took u 1 year for i3 and maybe that's 6 months after LHD delivery. Your friend's RHD I8 arrived Feb this year? that's inline with LHD.

I believe he said his friend "will have waited almost 1.5 years when he gets his i8 in February." That means February 2015, no?

No, they probably couldn't. They have almost certainly been working as hard and as fast as they can to get it ready, and this is the earliest that they could get it ready. They need this drivetrain for Model X. If they could have announced it earlier, they surely would have: great press, and more expensive cars with higher margins. They would have benefited hugely from announcing earlier; if they didn't, it's probably because they couldn't.

They are not being unfair to you. They are moving forward as fast as they can, and there will always be someone who orders a car just before a major upgrade is announced. That's no fun for this person, but Tesla is not being "unfair" to you. I have a P85, and the P85+ -- which I would definitely have wanted! -- was announced just TWO DAYS after Tesla confirmed that my car was in assembly and no further changes could be made. I didn't like it one bit, but some parts of timing are just good or bad luck. You are not being screwed by Tesla. Ask them, nicely, what they can do for you. And remember that whatever they do, if they do anything at all, is really optional and good customer service on their part.

Tesla has always been clear that they would continue to improve the car and offer more options along the way. What part of that is a surprise to you?

- - - Updated - - -

I believe he said his friend "will have waited almost 1.5 years when he gets his i8 in February." That means February 2015, no?
Just saw that, thanks. but I don't think BMW would launch a AWD i8 within 6 months after his friend get the car.

Not many P85 and P85+ were delivered in HK.

It won't be a long time before they will be collectors items - for the only reason that they are scarce.

Go look up an auction of how much an original iPhone in reasonable condition will cost you.

In 5 to 10 years when the automotive world is seriously transformed and even petrol heads stand back in awe of what just hit them - how cool is it to say you own one of the first Tesla Model S ever delivered in HK? A bit like the Roadster, you cannot buy it any more, and there are only those available which have already been built.