Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Did you feel that? The rapid acceleration of depreciation of your P85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love Tesla and love my p85 delivered just a few weeks ago. But I cannot help but feel some regret in my purchase as I would surely have purchased the D if I knew of its arrival. I live in a snowy climate and am a bit of a performance geek and I try to be savvy in relation to depreciation and purchase price.

historically, when purchasing cars you always knew where you stood in the upgrade cycle. If you bought on release date date you knew the car would be unchanged for at least a year and you also knew roughly when the new cycle would begin. You also knew that negotiations would be tight. Conversely, if you bought at the end of a cycle you knew that your car would change rapidly, depreciate quicker and that a dealer would negotiate more in an effort to "clear the old model."

i appreciate Tesla's efforts and respect their marketing.... They have a car with high demand because it is a great product and they know how to show it off. But, I cannot help but think there is probably a few of us that feel a bit burned by the uprade cycle. If my salesman or the order website had given me a heads up maybe I would have waited the extra 60 days...maybe not. But it would have been nice to have a choice.

I believe their are a lot of reasons why traditional car companies have a slower rollout process....one of those reasons may be that it gives the buyer a sense of choice which ultimately allows them to own the decision of waiting for the next best thing or not. Owning the decision means you can only blame yourself...not the car company.

I Will continue to love my P85, but I suspect every winter morning will elicit a small curse toward Mr. Musk....at least until I hit the accelerator and my grin returns -- just not quite as wide as a P85d grin.

Not that it will help the somewhat buyer's remorse you have, but would you consider going into a shorter life cycle with your "first" tesla thinking to upgrade to your "second" sooner than initially planned?

So if you planned to keep your Sept 1st 2014 P85 for 5-6 years, maybe you will anxiously anticipate the next few revisions thinking that...Oh I want D plus AWD plus I can't wait for some new features, that you will possibly trade in within 2-4 years instead?

So for now you can enjoy your current vehicle and keep your eye on the forums and latest updates to see your list of goodies grow over the next 24-48 months to say, "Oh yes my next Tesla I'm going to get that...and that..." So rather than being somewhat depressed by the new announcements, you will be excited about the prospect of having those in the near future, while you enjoy the beauty of the car you currently own.

I posted at length on the other thread, but I would say Tesla's upgrades are not unlike those that happen with other manufacturers in this case. Sometimes changes there align better with model-years (and it may especially seem that way to the U.S. audience because the import process shields them from the reality a little), but many times they don't. A new engine option or drivetrain can come out and be orderable at any time and this has most definitely been my experience with the German premium sector. And yes, it sucks if you end up on the wrong side of things. Some ideas on how to cope in the other thread.

Well, now we know why Tesla started their certified used car program just before the D was revealed - they will need it.
AFAIK, technically they haven't "started" the program. They've reportedly confimed that they will start it.
Used Tesla Electric Cars: Certified Previously Owned (CPO) Program Coming, Company Confirms - Yahoo Autos

Then again, they've announced and/or confirmed a number of things (battery swap being a sore spot for some) that they haven't actually started.

My point was not to dwell on that but it's somewhat curious that they haven't officially started the CPO before announcing the D. It seems like if they had announced the CPO before or with the D announcement, that they could have taken "reservation+tradein" information at the event on 10/9.

Yep just like any car when the newest shiny version comes out.

I took at bath when I sold my P85+ last year before this one, I'm glad I did now.

Think I'll order a p85D--it looks sweeeeeeeet (plus NEW seats finally!)

Now is the time I really wish Tesla had an internally managed, robust trade-in program. For a $15K-$20K swing (which perhaps could be possible working with Tesla directly), I would seriously consider upgrading from my almost fully loaded, now one year old p85+ to the P85D. The difference in price between what I paid and what I would buy is $7,600 - certainly worth it to me for a 3.2 second 0-60 four door sedan.

Now is the time I really wish Tesla had an internally managed, robust trade-in program. For a $15K-$20K swing (which perhaps could be possible working with Tesla directly), I would seriously consider upgrading from my almost fully loaded, now one year old p85+ to the P85D. The difference in price between what I paid and what I would buy is $7,600 - certainly worth it to me for a 3.2 second 0-60 four door sedan.
Unsolicited advice:
1. Visit Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles, click "Value your trade-in", submit the form
2. Call or e-mail Tesla with your concerns and give them a "what I'd like to do is" (similar to the underlined portion of your post that I'm quoting) as a starting point for the discussion.

The worst that can happen with both is that they quote you numbers that you don't like.

If you do neither, then you can't really blame Tesla for not trying to help you transition forward to their new offering.

Unsolicited advice:
1. Visit Tesla Motors | Premium Electric Vehicles, click "Value your trade-in", submit the form
2. Call or e-mail Tesla with your concerns and give them a "what I'd like to do is" (similar to the underlined portion of your post that I'm quoting) as a starting point for the discussion.

The worst that can happen with both is that they quote you numbers that you don't like.

If you do neither, then you can't really blame Tesla for not trying to help you transition forward to their new offering.

Will do, thanks. I saw the "value your trade-in" link, but figured it would just send the data to their partner, AutoNation.

I love Tesla and love my p85 delivered just a few weeks ago. But I cannot help but feel some regret in my purchase as I would surely have purchased the D if I knew of its arrival. I live in a snowy climate and am a bit of a performance geek and I try to be savvy in relation to depreciation and purchase price.

historically, when purchasing cars you always knew where you stood in the upgrade cycle. If you bought on release date date you knew the car would be unchanged for at least a year and you also knew roughly when the new cycle would begin. You also knew that negotiations would be tight. Conversely, if you bought at the end of a cycle you knew that your car would change rapidly, depreciate quicker and that a dealer would negotiate more in an effort to "clear the old model."

i appreciate Tesla's efforts and respect their marketing.... They have a car with high demand because it is a great product and they know how to show it off. But, I cannot help but think there is probably a few of us that feel a bit burned by the uprade cycle. If my salesman or the order website had given me a heads up maybe I would have waited the extra 60 days...maybe not. But it would have been nice to have a choice.

I believe their are a lot of reasons why traditional car companies have a slower rollout process....one of those reasons may be that it gives the buyer a sense of choice which ultimately allows them to own the decision of waiting for the next best thing or not. Owning the decision means you can only blame yourself...not the car company.

I Will continue to love my P85, but I suspect every winter morning will elicit a small curse toward Mr. Musk....at least until I hit the accelerator and my grin returns -- just not quite as wide as a P85d grin.

I understand your pain but can assure you of two things:
1) I love my March 2013 S85 as much as I did 18 months ago, despite watching newer cars get parking sensors, auto-folding mirrors, heated rear seats, and now AWD. While I don't get those features, I still get new goodies periodically like GPS improvements, calendar integration, location-based suspension adjustments, enhanced app controls, etc.
2) The Model S's even weight distribution, low center of gravity and fine torque control make it effective in snow with good snow tires. I have the Nokian Hakka R2s (others here have recommended the Ice Xi3 Michelins) and feel as in control as I did with my 2011 Audi A4 Quattro. And this year I can set the suspension to raise automatically before turning in to my driveway!

That said, I do have a reservation for an X a year from now - but only because our younger girls are going to outgrow the jump seats.

From the timing of your post (3am), seems the announcement left you a bit sleepless. lol!

I completely understand. It's like replacing your old 27" cabinet TV that you've had for 10+ years with a new 36" flat screen, only to see the prices fall, the resolution rise... and 8 months later you're at Costco, staring at a 52" screen that's as thin as a piece of paper, for $150 more than you paid for yours. You're very happy with what you have... and it's SO much better than what you had... but damn!

As a fellow Chicagoan, I can really appreciate the AWD model, and the driver assist package is amazing! But I have no doubt that if I ordered a D, it wouldn't be 6 months later and Musk would be up on that stage announcing a hover conversion and 100% self-drive model.

Forget the 0-60 time (Beat one Vernon and you've been there done that) 98% of us on TMC do not have these sensors but I offer a glimmer of hope.

The Parking sensor harness (that everyone pre Aug 2013 should have) has 7 plugs 3 for the parking sensors one looks like a power feed which leaves three.
IMAG0074.jpg

If :love: they are the sensor harness I bet someone could retro fit the sensor array

Maybe the guys over at Tesla Tap or Teslarati might wanna chime in.

I am sure the reply post will be "no they are for ????" and "Tesla will never sell you the sensors or activate them"

Still as I said a glimmer of hope

Unsolicited advice:

I will contact Tesla because I got my P85 2 weeks ago without the new sensors, but I doubt they will do anything.