Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For every who has not yet received their a p85

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys, if you have not yet collect your p85 I would strongly suggest that you should really consider changing your order to a p85d. I am a signature P85+, and i am really worried about the resell value of my car as the P85D is so much better (seats and performance)for such a small price differences.

Don't want to wait another year to get it. Besides any Tesla has more power than what we ever need in HK. Let's not forget why many of us bought a Tesla. It's also about the environment. With a 691hp car, this point is lost.

Guys, if you have not yet collect your p85 I would strongly suggest that you should really consider changing your order to a p85d. I am a signature P85+, and i am really worried about the resell value of my car as the P85D is so much better (seats and performance)for such a small price differences.

guy my first post, is that I just closed my order a few days ago, and now I'm freaking out, for $20,000HKD or abouts upgrade fee I know that my model needs to be the D. I'm now freaking out at the sales staff who has no answers for me, but even if I need to wait longer, and I need to cancel my order I think I have to because unless you keep this car for life, I agree with Alipapa that in HK and China the resell value for us is gonna be terrible as soon as they are purchased. I pray I can get this resolved!

Each perspective MS owner should make up their own mind whether to trade up to P85D, as people have different considerations, and it’s not always performance oriented.

Based on what has been announced, the shipment of MS to be delivered in HK in the near future should come with the sensors and rather advance safety technologies built-in already. This is an excellent addition to such a great car.

Though I think the resale value concern is overblown. The bottom line is, yes, the 2nd hand value will be different between P85 and P85D, but P85D is also more expensive (a little bit). But the delta is not as much as one would think – the difference in resale value between a 5 year old M5 vs. 550i is not huge, for example.

Having said all that, the thought of having an almost 700hp “family sedan” is not easily measured in dollars and cents. If you can bear with another year or so wait for P85D, you should wait (I would : ) )… but not on economic grounds.

No. More like if you have a faster car you tend to drive it faster. Human nature, I guess. I certainly gun my Roadster more than the Prius it replaced.
Ok, let me try again. Now you're starting to make it sound like fast driving is a bad thing in an absolute sense. I'm pretty sure I disagree.

I prefer not to drive 1mph just because aerodynamics might argue it's more efficient.

I'm not understanding the 691HP is bad debate. Some Tesla users bought the car because they wanted something unique, a sports car that was electric. So doesn't the higher HP and faster 0 to 60 times make it a good thing for those Tesla customers?

guy my first post, is that I just closed my order a few days ago, and now I'm freaking out, for $20,000HKD or abouts upgrade fee I know that my model needs to be the D. I'm now freaking out at the sales staff who has no answers for me, but even if I need to wait longer, and I need to cancel my order I think I have to because unless you keep this car for life, I agree with Alipapa that in HK and China the resell value for us is gonna be terrible as soon as they are purchased. I pray I can get this resolved!

I would let them take the 20k and order the new one. How much of a regret could 20k give you comparing to buying the wrong car?

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I picked P85+ instaed of S85 is just like people picked a M3 instead of 335i. We want the fastest available, and stand out from others.

Could you imagine BMW to release a new M3 that has 200 more HP and 1 sec quicker from 0-60 2 months after you receive yours or even 2 years after the current model is released? and it just cost 15% more?

We all know the current back sets is nothing more than a cushioned bench, so good luck persuading people it is more comfortable then the updated version when you sell your car.

I am mad because Tesla was capable and already planned to sell the P85D when they were finally building our RHD P85. Tesla could have ask me to sign a non disclosure agreement and let me pick the P85D.

This is the 2nd time I feel regret and sad at being a signature owner. All the sudden my 2 months old P85+ becomes a joke for new P85D owner.

I would let them take the 20k and order the new one. How much of a regret could 20k give you comparing to buying the wrong car?

the car is really gone through a lot of changes.

- new wiring harness
- new front qtr panels
- new windshield
- new camera and rear view mirror cluster
- new front grille
- new brakes
- new steering wheel
- new steering column, or at least new stalks
- new headliner

The effort to retrofit is too large, feel so sad now....

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I picked P85+ instaed of S85 is just like people picked a M3 instead of 335i. We want the fastest available, and stand out from others.

Could you imagine BMW to release a new M3 that has 200 more HP and 1 sec quicker from 0-60 2 months after you receive yours or even 2 years after the current model is released? and it just cost 15% more?

We all know the current back sets is nothing more than a cushioned bench, so good luck persuading people it is more comfortable then the updated version when you sell your car.

I am mad because Tesla was capable and already planned to sell the P85D when they were finally building our RHD P85. Tesla could have ask me to sign a non disclosure agreement and let me pick the P85D.

This is the 2nd time I feel regret and sad at being a signature owner. All the sudden my 2 months old P85+ becomes a joke for new P85D owner.
Same thoughts.......
Used to love how Tesla do things but now just hate the ways they do business

Ok, let me try again. Now you're starting to make it sound like fast driving is a bad thing in an absolute sense. I'm pretty sure I disagree.

I prefer not to drive 1mph just because aerodynamics might argue it's more efficient.

No, not at all. Not in an absolute sense (otherwise I wouldn't drive a Roadster) - just in a fuel economy sense.

I'm just disagreeing with the proposition that the D will get better mileage than the standard. Given the enhanced performance, I think people will drive it harder, and in the real world that will mean less mileage.

For those with P85+, I understand your frustration - you bought the highest performance model, paid a premium, waited years for delivery, and now within months there is a better performing model. That sucks.

For those worried about resale value, I am not so sure. I plan to keep my car for 5 to 7 years, and in that time there will probably be D, D+, triple-D+, Model X with 7 seats, Model 3 at half the price, etc, etc. I can't see how D or no D on a 2014 Model S will be immensely relevant in 5 years time.

And finally, for those suggesting Tesla do it some other way - how? Just not innovate and improve the car (remember it is 2 years old in USA already)? Perhaps intentionally delay the introduction of new innovations? I really don't see any feasible way for Tesla to satisfy existing customers when they release a new better product.

I've seen comparisons against the phone industry. Well, I just bought a new smartphone, and Apple didn't give me anything back for the one I already owned, and they didn't offer me a flash or cpu hardware upgrade either.

For those with P85+, I understand your frustration - you bought the highest performance model, paid a premium, waited years for delivery, and now within months there is a better performing model. That sucks.

For those worried about resale value, I am not so sure. I plan to keep my car for 5 to 7 years, and in that time there will probably be D, D+, triple-D+, Model X with 7 seats, Model 3 at half the price, etc, etc. I can't see how D or no D on a 2014 Model S will be immensely relevant in 5 years time.

And finally, for those suggesting Tesla do it some other way - how? Just not innovate and improve the car (remember it is 2 years old in USA already)? Perhaps intentionally delay the introduction of new innovations? I really don't see any feasible way for Tesla to satisfy existing customers when they release a new better product.

I've seen comparisons against the phone industry. Well, I just bought a new smartphone, and Apple didn't give me anything back for the one I already owned, and they didn't offer me a flash or cpu hardware upgrade either.

Agree. For me, I always make sure that I only buy something which I will be happy with for a least a decent period, while keeping in mind that there will always be new iterations coming. So far, this strategy has not disappointed me.

I guess we all expect the life cycle of a phone is about a year, so people know their ip6 is going to be outcast by a 6s in Sep 2015.

Maybe I am just not ready to treat my car as a 1M HKD gadget. For automobile, people expect a facelift by the 4th model year and a complete new model by the 7th year. Honestly, I would not be upset if the P85D was introduce by mid 2015 or if I had gotten my car at end 2013, which was the originally delivery date.

It is way better to be a TSLA shareholder than its customer.