Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

public charging done right

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
At a local mall the city installed 3 chargers which rarely is enough. when i came there today, there were several EV parked and each of them had a sign on their charge port or window. One Volt had a a sign saying that a flashing green light means its full and OK to unplugged. One Leaf who couldn't charge when arrived had a note to 'please plug me in when you leave'. A third one had a note, "OK to unplug after 6 pm". It was awesome to see how people really try to make the best out of the limited number of chargers and actively help each other.
... yes I also have signs with me that I put in my window saying when it's OK to unplug me.

Wow... this is so nice. Let's spread the news of such incidents more :).

So the J1772 can be unplugged from other cars too? I thought it locking mechanism stays locked, and it was only Tesla that could be unplugged because of the adapter concept.
Also, normally, the charging stations do not have long enough cables to serve multiple parking spots, in which case, leaving such notes gives almost no benefit.

Wow... this is so nice. Let's spread the news of such incidents more :).

So the J1772 can be unplugged from other cars too? I thought it locking mechanism stays locked, and it was only Tesla that could be unplugged because of the adapter concept.
Also, normally, the charging stations do not have long enough cables to serve multiple parking spots, in which case, leaving such notes gives almost no benefit.

The locking is in the handle. You can unplug. On the Tesla the adapter stays locked but the EV plug can be removed and thankfully the Model S does start charging again. Often the cable reaches two or even three spots. But even if it doesn't reach, sending someone a text that you are leaving and freeing up a spot can be helpful.