Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Disappointed with the D unveiling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just watched the live feed of the revealing of D. I have to say, D looks awesome.

I could have sworn that Elon had hinted a few days ago that part of what was being unveiled was something that current Model S users would be able to upgrade to. Perhaps I read wrong. He didn't make any announcements (at least in the live feed I just watched) of anything that current Model S owners would be able to upgrade to/retrofit... Has anyone heard different?

Jeremy

I think the developments and product announcements are intended and pitched to those that don't already own a Tesla (excluding those in a position to buy multiple Teslas). In the end I don't think there is much effort planned or intended to update or enhance cars already out the door unless there is a safety defect or problem.

There is usually very little in store for those that already have theirs. Other than the general enthusiasm for Tesla's continuing success and growth.

Maybe others will disagree, but I don't hold out much hope for significant affordable hardware upgrades for mine.

In the end, they want to sell more cars and I think they see the potential market is to folks that have not already bought one (with some obvious limited exceptions as mentioned above).

Last edited:
Nah. I'm assuming there is going to be a significant premium in getting at least the P85D over a S85 or a P85.

The auto features are cool but outside of private property are probably more safety / convenience features than anything for the moment. I've happily lived without parking sensors. Wouldn't have missed the years driving Teslas to wait for these features that aren't necessary.

Same here. I'm really disappointed! My model S just lost its value in its 6th month...

I think the developments and product announcements are intended and pitched to those that don't already own a Tesla (excluding those in a position to buy multiple Teslas). In the end I don't think there is much effort planned or intended to update or enhance cars already out the door unless there is a safety defect or problem.

There is usually very little in store for those that already have theirs. Other than the general enthusiasm for Tesla's continuing success and growth.

Maybe others will disagree, but I don't hold out much hope for significant affordable hardware upgrades for mine.
Not when your car becomes obsolete after a few months! This is a 180° difference in a very short amount of time.
Don't get me wrong, i loved the unveiling and loved the progress and i can't wait to see the stock value tomorrow.... But as a current owner, something doesn't feel right.

Tesla isn't a car company it is a tech company... They are changing the game in the industry and will always be rolling out new features. As a Roadster owner I just have to love the car I have and not fret too much about not having the new tech... Including access to superchargers

Not when your car becomes obsolete after a few months! This is a 180° difference in a very short amount of time.
Don't get me wrong, i loved the unveiling and loved the progress and i can't wait to see the stock value tomorrow.... But as a current owner, something doesn't feel right.

I think I understand and I don't disagree much with your point.

It is pretty similar to the vibe when the new P85 owners felt when the + came out last year. Now the + is gone with the introduction of the D. It is a repeating Tesla theme where you get the pre-purchase impression that the car hardware will be upgraded over time, but in the end there is not much reality there for anything major. Sort of like the battery swap.

Still, I am not sure there is any other way they can move forward and not evolve the hardware.

But if I was a new/potential buyer and Tesla had communicated its intention and the roll-out schedule in advance for AWD and autopilot (assuming I was interested in those) would I have held of my purchase for a month or two? Absolutely. Would last week's/month's + buyer have held off for the D? But they don't communicate that stuff as it is all about sales.

Last edited:
I am really glad my car doesn't have all of those gadgets. the AWD would be the only feature I'd want.

+1. No interest in those but the 0-60 time of the AWD has me interested!!

- - - Updated - - -

Same here. I'm really disappointed! My model S just lost its value in its 6th month...

Like most cars, it lost value far sooner, immediately when you drove it off the lot!

I think I understand and I don't disagree much with your point.

It is pretty similar to the vibe when the new P85 owners felt when the + came out last year. It is a repeating Tesla theme where you get the pre-purchase impression that the car hardware will be upgraded over time, but in the end there is not much reality there for anything major.

Still, I am not sure there is any other way they can move forward and not evolve the hardware.

Yep. I waited 3.5 years for my car and 6 months later they come out with the + which handles a lot better. I have a + loaner for the first time and it is a ton of fun to drive. Owning a Tesla means accepting what you have and hoping most things that come out can be retrofitted even if for a big price tag.

Yep. I waited 3.5 years for my car and 6 months later they come out with the + which handles a lot better. I have a + loaner for the first time and it is a ton of fun to drive. Owning a Tesla means accepting what you have and hoping most things that come out can be retrofitted even if for a big price tag.

It is a really odd phenomenon with Tesla (I am sure I will be toasted for this)...

They announce things well in advance that never seem to come to fruition (battery swap), and keep utterly silent things that are in the immediate pipeline for imminent delivery (D, autopilot, + as examples) because it might affect some close in sales.

Last edited:
Don't buy into anything of technology if you fear you're going to lose value in the current technology you own. Its the name of the game. Same with cell phones, same with TVs, same with anything that gets better and better over time. I don't ever put a negative feeling or statement towards a company due to it evolving and growing technology. After I get bored or the technology becomes obsolete for my needs then I upgrade. If you don't want technology to evolve fast, stick with an ICE car.

I just don't get the complaining! If you buy a 2104 Mercedes and the 2015 turns out to be way better, do you complain that they should give you the features they added for 2015? The only real differences are that Tesla doesn't have model years and that they don't pre-market a lot of what's coming. If they did, they'd freeze sales for months on end or have to discount like regular car companies do at the end of the model year. Am I annoyed at my lack of driver profiles? Yeah. Do I wish my seat was comfier? Sure. Do I think Tesla "owes" me these things or even the right to retrofit? Heck no! The fact that a few things have been added hardware wise to my car and that the software has increased the functionality and drive ability of the car is way better than any other car company has ever done for me. One day I will trade for a cooler, newer version. Until then, I will enjoy the one I have!!

I'm confused why so many members on this board are disappointed in Tesla releasing new features that are not backwards compatible. Many have claimed their car's resale value just went down or they are disappointed that this is an exclusive Tesla thing.

Doesn't every car in the world get minor and major updates all the time? When Porsche makes a glass sunroof available; people that bought the day before the option was announced can't get it. When BMW announces a Competition Pack for the M5 in year 2? When a car company makes a new paint or interior color available? When Chrysler or Ford or Chevy announces a newer version of a performance car. When Nissan adds a minor performance upgrade to the GT-R. Heck when Honda or Toyota make any changes they are not retrofittable. Many people on here read forums and are relatively aware in advance but most new options are not known in advance. For the general public even model changes are mostly unknown. I'm guessing the day before Chevy announces the 2016 Volt in Detroit many customers will walk into a dealership and pay full price on the existing one.

riceuguy- i was typing as you replied but your answer is basically what I was thinking.