Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DESTINation charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TexasEV

Jun 5, 2013
Austin, TX
When the I-10 supercharger route opens up some of us Texans want to head to Destin. I don't see much in the way of destination charging there. I contacted two properties (Sandestin Beach and Golf Resort and Embassy Suites-Miramar Beach) to suggest they participate in Tesla's destination charging program and haven't heard a response. If any owner lives in the area, you might talk to the hotels or tourist bureau or something about EV tourism. Has anyone charged at a RV park in Destin? I see there are several but none are listed on Plugshare, so I wonder if they refuse EVs or just haven't been asked.

Might want to ask destinations about 120v outlets available. I've been able to charge at destination resorts from a 120v outlet three times now, and all three times those outlets were NEMA 5-20, which let you charge at 5mph instead of 3mph (which is what you get from a standard 120v NEMA-5-15 outlet).

The $45 NEMA 5-20 adapter was the most useful accessory I've gotten for my Model S.

Shop Tesla Gear NEMA 5-20

The 5-20 plugs are very common for outdoor plugs on commercial properties. Here is one I charged from recently.

2014-09-21.jpg

Yes, I've charged overnight with the 5-20 adapter too, but I would look at that as a last resort. The 20A outlets are nice to find and even nicer when they work, but I wouldn't trust the answer when I ask ahead of time if their outlets are 20A or 15A, nor would I trust that nothing else is on the circuit and the wiring run is short enough that the car could really draw 16A and get the 5 mph.

I love your title for the thread. I am not in owner YET, just a big enthusiast and live in the area. Unfortunately I only know of one model S around and maybe one leaf. Supply/demand may play a factor here, but I am willing to try and help even without being an owner. I don't know what is required to get a Tesla high-powered wall charger donated from them but I have tossed around the idea of installing one at my office in order to help those that vacation in Destin. I absolutely love the car in the company and can't wait to own one one day however student loans come first!

I don't know what is required to get a Tesla high-powered wall charger donated from them but I have tossed around the idea of installing one at my office in order to help those that vacation in Destin.
This is the link for a property to apply for free or reduced price HPWCs:
Destination Charging
The program is for hotels, resorts, restaurants, tourist attractions, etc. which would be a destination for Tesla owners. Probably not a dentist office :biggrin:. But if you have contacts in the area who might qualify, please encourage them and give them the link.

Hahaha well then when I buy my car I guess I'll just have to get a couple of HPWC and instal one at the office and put it on Plug-Share. And hey, we dentists can be a cool destination even tho most everyone hates to see us looking forward to seeing all the Teslas from the Southeast coming for a visit! Once I get my house set up your all welcome for a charge!

I have mixed feeling about Tesla's destination chargers. Sure they are great if you have a Tesla, but it means no one else can charge there. If they install a normal EV plug, everyone, including Teslas, can charge there. Unless someone is a die hard Tesla fanboy, I think they idea is to support EV adoption, not one brand exclusivity.

I'm probably opening a business this year with parking around it. I will definitely install charging stations, but they will be J1772. If Tesla wants to give me a free HPWC, that's awesome, but I'm all about supporting EVs in general, not just one brand.

I hear what you are saying.

Club Intrawest where I charged today had both a HPWC and a 1772 side by side. The HPWC is especially useful for Teslas with dual chargers, as it would charge about three times as quickly.

I've used j1772s, but they are painfully slow unless you have overnight to charge.

@David99, Teslas are the only EVs with the range to get to a destination such as Destin. Tesla gives away the HPWCs and subsidizes the installation as a marketing tool. It's win-win. You can pay to install all the J1772s you want, but most business owners aren't going to do that to attract EV customers. Not outside of California, anyway.

Also by making it easier for Teslas to charge it does support EVs in general in the long run, because the only way EVs are going to become mainstream is if Tesla succeeds. If Tesla isn't successful, the legacy manufacturers are even less likely to build compelling EVs which will cannabilize their ICE business.

Also by making it easier for Teslas to charge it does support EVs in general in the long run, because the only way EVs are going to become mainstream is if Tesla succeeds. If Tesla isn't successful, the legacy manufacturers are even less likely to build compelling EVs which will cannabilize their ICE business.

I gave Tesla $80k, I think I've done my part supporting them. I totally agree we needed Tesla to change the world to EVs. I think we all were successful. I continue to support Tesla just as much as any other EV by installing J1772 chargers. A HPWC is Tesla only, a J1772 is everyone. It's a no brainer when it comes to helping EV.

a j1772 will work for most EVs but the the tesla HPWC will charge at a much faster rate, if I am looking for a hotel to stay in or a restaurant to eat in the ones with the HPWC are getting my business over ones that only offers a slower j1772.
most EVs other than volts are not well suited to long road trips.[/QUOTE]

For most locations the bulk of the cost is in the wiring from the panel to the charger location, disconnect at the charger location, and installation of a post or similar for mounting the charger. Once this is all done the cost difference to have only a HPWC, only a J1772, or one of each is fairly minimal.

As a Tesla owner I much prefer a location with a HPWC. Just in the past year two B&B's (Chanticleer in Chattanooga #1), one hotel, and several restaurants have gotten business from us because of their HPWC's.

I gave Tesla $80k, I think I've done my part supporting them. I totally agree we needed Tesla to change the world to EVs. I think we all were successful. I continue to support Tesla just as much as any other EV by installing J1772 chargers. A HPWC is Tesla only, a J1772 is everyone. It's a no brainer when it comes to helping EV.
Although the promotions change time to time, the typical is: if you notify Tesla you are a destination (and can prove it) and want to install EV chargers, they will send you a free Tesla charger, and a free generic J1772, and sometimes they will even cut you a check to pay for the install. The Tesla HPWC/WC act as advertisement, and also they are much quicker than all but the most expensive J1772s.

I think they are doing their part to advance the cause.