Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35 21

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
I contacted a couple tire places yesterday inquiring about the Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/35 21 tires as we are nearing the end of life on our Continentals. 3 month back order! Anyone have any thoughts/luck in getting these? Are these now the standard tire that Tesla ships with the 21" rims? (Not Plus version rears though).

We should have the Super Sports back in good supply right around the first weeks of 2015..........Tesla has been using the Pilot Sport PS2 as Original Equipment for some time now (which we have in good supply)
Hey, doc. Do you have contacts at Tesla? I recommended that they consider adding the PSS to the OEM-approved tire selection a bit back. If you concur and have contacts, you might be able to move the needle on that one for us.

We should have the Super Sports back in good supply right around the first weeks of 2015..........Tesla has been using the Pilot Sport PS2 as Original Equipment for some time now (which we have in good supply)

Do you also carry the 21" staggered sizes? Last week when I looked I didn't see them. I'm a new owner and worried about the costs I have seen, since I drive mountain roads (30k/yr) and know that I will burn though these guys at lightning speed. Both F+R.

Do you also carry the 21" staggered sizes? Last week when I looked I didn't see them. I'm a new owner and worried about the costs I have seen, since I drive mountain roads (30k/yr) and know that I will burn though these guys at lightning speed. Both F+R.

You will likely be changing your rear tires every four months at that rate. That will get expensive.

i wish they made the staggered setup in the Pilot super sport but as luck would have it tirerack doesn't have any tires in the staggered setup. what are people doing for the 245/35/21 in front with a matching 265/35/21 in rear?

For the record.. *this* is exactly how product sales people should use forums… timely, useful, informational, not sleazy — thank you doc@tirerack.

That is totally untrue. I have over 30,000 miles on my tires and they are staggered (255/285rear) and they will last probably 10-15k miles more.

I guess it depends on how you drive. I've seen some people report as low as 8,000 miles on the rears for the PS2s at least. Different tire though. Either way he is looking at once a year at least. Some people aren't prepared for that used to keeping same tired on car for years.

I guess it depends on how you drive. I've seen some people report as low as 8,000 miles on the rears for the PS2s at least. Different tire though. Either way he is looking at once a year at least. Some people aren't prepared for that used to keeping same tired on car for years.
8,500 miles on my Continentals... twice. Not even a +.

Hey, doc. Do you have contacts at Tesla? I recommended that they consider adding the PSS to the OEM-approved tire selection a bit back. If you concur and have contacts, you might be able to move the needle on that one for us.

Sadly, Tire Rack would have no pull with either Tesla or Michelin to influence a change to the SS. Porsche has been transitioning to the SS as new models are introduced, so it "can be done".

Last edited:

Pilot Sport PS2 is in good supply for 245/35R21 / 265/35R21....

- - - Updated - - -

+1 not many options it seems

21" tires are so seldom used as original equipment that these sizes just aren't on the radar for the replacement market. BMW offers a staggered 21" wheel option for 7 series, but in 245/35R21 and 275/30R21 (runflat). The 275/30R21 is a little smaller in overall diameter than the 265/35R21 (Tesla rear), and we're a little concerned that the Model S electronics may not be thrilled with the difference....As a result, we're hesitant to recommend the 275 as a viable alternative to the stock size.

i wish they made the staggered setup in the Pilot super sport but as luck would have it tirerack doesn't have any tires in the staggered setup. what are people doing for the 245/35/21 in front with a matching 265/35/21 in rear?

I'm in the process of switching from PS2s to PSSs. I corded the rears in 12K miles on the original PS2s. I decided to square up the stagger with 245/35s in the rear based on TireRack availability as my other option was to go with a stagger of 275/30--I just couldn't get them in time for a cross country trip. I can shift the 245/35s to the front (they fit fine on the wider rear rim) and replace with the 275/30s when the front tires need replacing. They're still going strong with 7/32s at 20K miles.

I'm in the process of switching from PS2s to PSSs. I corded the rears in 12K miles on the original PS2s. I decided to square up the stagger with 245/35s in the rear based on TireRack availability as my other option was to go with a stagger of 275/30--I just couldn't get them in time for a cross country trip. I can shift the 245/35s to the front (they fit fine on the wider rear rim) and replace with the 275/30s when the front tires need replacing. They're still going strong with 7/32s at 20K miles.

I like your plan!