Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Continental ContiSportContact 5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DrComputer

TeslaClubLA President
Jan 29, 2009
Sherman Oaks, CA
I just had all four of my Continental ExtremeContact DW 21" tires replaced with the newer Continental ContiSportContact 5's from the LA Service center. These new tires have a foam insert to reduce road noise. I must say they are MUCH quieter than the old ExtremeContact DW's. On cement sections of the freeway the old tires were very loud. The new ContiSportContact's are quiet on all surfaces. Now the loudest sound at freeway speeds in wind noise instead of tire noise. The handling, although not as crisp as the ExtremeContact tires, is perfectly acceptable. These are a nice upgrade from the original Continental tires.

Thanks for the information. Do you happen to have the sizes for the staggered formation by chance?

I just had all four of my Continental ExtremeContact DW 21" tires replaced with the newer Continental ContiSportContact 5's from the LA Service center. These new tires have a foam insert to reduce road noise. I must say they are MUCH quieter than the old ExtremeContact DW's. On cement sections of the freeway the old tires were very loud. The new ContiSportContact's are quiet on all surfaces. Now the loudest sound at freeway speeds in wind noise instead of tire noise. The handling, although not as crisp as the ExtremeContact tires, is perfectly acceptable. These are a nice upgrade from the original Continental tires.

I noticed that my S85D, delivered in February 2015, came with Contisport 5 tires instead of the ExtremeContact DW. I like the feel of them so far, but I don't have anything to compare to. The durability rating on the Contisport 5's (UTQG 280) is much lower though than on the ExtremeContact DW's (UTQG 340).

Does anyone have any experience regarding the feel and how long each set lasts?

- K

We have not had enough time with the ContSilent technology to have anything helpful to offer regarding longer term wear / road noise. To be sure the SportContact 5 's rubber compound is more "high performance" oriented than the Extreme Contact DW (as mentioned above), so if you were able to get 20,000 miles out of the DW (assuming regular rotation, proper alignment, etc) than the SportContact may get to 15,000 at best.. I'm hoping we can keep this thread going to get "real world" wear and other impressions !

I searched and searched for these tires but couldn't find in my size: 21' staggered. The only thing I could find with Conti Silent were the 5+, and also did not have my sizes. Not sure what I did wrong. I really wanted them. I ended up with Hankooks, installed yesterday, and am very happy so far. Much quieter and smoother than the PS2s. So I'll have to wait to try them. Hopefully a very long time :smile:

I searched and searched for these tires but couldn't find in my size: 21' staggered. The only thing I could find with Conti Silent were the 5+, and also did not have my sizes. Not sure what I did wrong. I really wanted them. I ended up with Hankooks, installed yesterday, and am very happy so far. Much quieter and smoother than the PS2s. So I'll have to wait to try them. Hopefully a very long time :smile:

What size stagger are you running?

The TireRack has ContiSportContact 5P in 245/35ZR21 and 265/35R21 in stock.

The ContiSilents are officially made in sizes for the Audi RS6 and RS7.

Since nobody has been able to tell me that there are any differences between ContiSilents and 5Ps, I'm begining to think that the "ContiSilent" designation is simply a marketing ploy.

Perhaps the high-end Audi sedans previously had a tire that sedan owners considered too loud. It's common for performance tires to generate more road noise. The special designation is an attempt to aleviate that complaint for those Audi customers.

I doubt a tire manufacturer would create and maintain a line restricted to sizes targeting only two low-volume cars. I can see how a manufacturer would add a "special" name to specific tire sizes of an existing line. A different construction, not so much.

OK. I think I am going crazy. I just went to the Continental site to confirm what I had looked for to answer you and the site is completely different than when I had previously searched. And yes, the sizes are there. And I swear, I must have searched there and Tire Rack 10 times. So either I am a complete moron (not that unlikely) or I have been in the wrong universe. I even searched all their spec pages, seeing the Audi tires, but not in my standard staggered sizes AND I went to my tire guy and he couldn't find them either.

ARRRGHHH.

I'm bummed, because I REALLY wanted those tires. But I can say that I am happy with Hankooks so far.

What size stagger are you running?

The TireRack has ContiSportContact 5P in 245/35ZR21 and 265/35R21 in stock.

The ContiSilents are officially made in sizes for the Audi RS6 and RS7.

Since nobody has been able to tell me that there are any differences between ContiSilents and 5Ps, I'm begining to think that the "ContiSilent" designation is simply a marketing ploy.

Perhaps the high-end Audi sedans previously had a tire that sedan owners considered too loud. It's common for performance tires to generate more road noise. The special designation is an attempt to aleviate that complaint for those Audi customers.

I doubt a tire manufacturer would create and maintain a line restricted to sizes targeting only two low-volume cars. I can see how a manufacturer would add a "special" name to specific tire sizes of an existing line. A different construction, not so much.

CHG-ON, it's not you.

Yes the Contintental site was entirely redisgned the night of 04/03. I was there two days earlier, and all of my bookmarks now give 404 page not found errors.

They also now give fitments only by specific vehicle.

Don't know what might have happened at the Rack. I normally sort by consumer rating. That pushes unrated tires to the bottom. The 5Ps have no consumer ratings, and if you searched by vehicle, the 5Ps are the one tire on page 2.

There is also a non-obvious search under the phone number near the page header. Found that for the first time yesterday.

Anyway, Hankooks seem to have a decent reputation. Let us know what you think as they wear (traction, noise, and what tire pressures you used).

OK. I think I am going crazy. I just went to the Continental site to confirm what I had looked for to answer you and the site is completely different than when I had previously searched. And yes, the sizes are there. And I swear, I must have searched there and Tire Rack 10 times. So either I am a complete moron (not that unlikely) or I have been in the wrong universe. I even searched all their spec pages, seeing the Audi tires, but not in my standard staggered sizes AND I went to my tire guy and he couldn't find them either.

ARRRGHHH.

I'm bummed, because I REALLY wanted those tires. But I can say that I am happy with Hankooks so far.

Hey which Hankook's did you get? these are the ones Im looking at for my P85+

51f3ycNn02L._SS100_.jpg

I got those below. I've only had them for 150mi or so, but so far, I am very happy with them. Given, they are new with full tread, they are significantly smoother and quieter than the PS2s. They will get louder with time. The PS2s are great, but I simply don't drive that way and don't need them. The Hankooks are half the price of the Michi's. That alone, makes them worth a try.

The 10mm width increase in the rear has caused no problems at all. I will say that when I punch it, which really isn't that often, they are a bit looser in the rear than the Michi's. But hey, I saved like 1K on the four. I can live with that.

And thanks to Terra117. I really thought "WTF, am I simply nuts?" I searched forever for those Contis.

Hey which Hankook's did you get? these are the ones Im looking at for my P85+

51f3ycNn02L._SS100_.jpg

I got those below. I've only had them for 150mi or so, but so far, I am very happy with them. Given, they are new with full tread, they are significantly smoother and quieter than the PS2s. They will get louder with time. The PS2s are great, but I simply don't drive that way and don't need them. The Hankooks are half the price of the Michi's. That alone, makes them worth a try.

The 10mm width increase in the rear has caused no problems at all. I will say that when I punch it, which really isn't that often, they are a bit looser in the rear than the Michi's. But hey, I saved like 1K on the four. I can live with that.

And thanks to Terra117. I really thought "WTF, am I simply nuts?" I searched forever for those Contis.

Ok thanks that's what i'm moving forward with, hard to ignore the price and I cant wait to get rid of my PS2's