Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Code/Plan Check Correction Problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our local (Santa Barbara County) building department wrote a correction on our plans that appear to require a special ventilation system interlocked with the Tesla unless we can show that the charging system is "listed for indoor use". The code section they cited is in the California Residential Building Code Section 328 (attached). Has anyone had any experience with this? I'm not sure how to respond to this correction.
EV ventilation reqs.JPG

Of course the Tesla is rated for indoor use, most of the time it's charged in a garage. I would expect those regulations were passed to cover VENTED lead acid batteries which give off hydrogen gas when charged. This is more typical of a low tech electric vehicle like a golf cart. Tesla uses sealed Lithium batteries which do not generate gasses when charged. If your town tries to apply this regulation to a Tesla, tell them they need REAL engineers making up these regulations or to at least better define when they are applied.

You wonder which century this was written--the only vehicles using lead-acid batteries would be golf carts and old fork lifts, etc. and they are specifically excluded. Well maybe some older DIY EVs, but if the batteries don't produce any hydrogen gas then they should also be excluded, i.e. vehicles using lithium cells.