Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

EV Charging etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just recently picked up my Model S, and like all Model S owners, absolutely love the car! However, I did have a question and wanted to see if anyone has run into the same issues. I recently made a trip and needed a charge to get back home. Unfortunately, there were only Chargepoint stations available. So I proceed as normal and use the stations like I would using any other EV. About 1 and a half hours later, I return to find this message.

I'm wondering if Tesla owners are not supposed to use other chargers, and if anyone has experienced anything like this before.

14 - 3.jpg

That note strikes me as complete jackassery.

You were actively charging, not leaving it plugged in just for parking. Assuming you didn't take up more than one spot with your vehicle, and didn't unplug an actively charging vehicle, there's nothing wrong with your behavior.

Just because Tesla has a large battery capacity doesn't mean you shouldn't use publicly available charging stations. With that logic, cars like the Volt should never use a public charger.

The car comes with a J1772 adapter. I think that says it all. However, I can see how some other EV owners might feel like Tesla already has plenty of chargers that will only work with Tesla cars, and therefore using a public charger is somehow rubbing salt in the wound. Nevertheless, you have has much right to a chargepoint station as anyone else -- just move the car as soon your finished, which it sounds like you did.

Of course you're supposed to use chargepoint stations. I'm not sure about anyone else but Tesla actually provided me with RFID cards for chargepoint at delivery.

The problem of course is that there are probably some people who have been charging when they don't really need it, especially at free charging stations. Which then blocks people who do need it from charging. Given your situation that clearly wasn't the case.

You may find it helpful to leave a note on your dash saying how long you plan to use a charger and maybe a cell number.

I also own a 500e, so i'm well aware of other EVs and their needs. I actually drove the car down to 40 miles range, and I needed 52 miles to get back. I didn't take up more than my designated spot or unplug another EV. I guess it was just a unlucky experience. Good thing he/she didn't key the new car!

That note strikes me as complete jackassery.

You were actively charging, not leaving it plugged in just for parking. Assuming you didn't take up more than one spot with your vehicle, and didn't unplug an actively charging vehicle, there's nothing wrong with your behavior.

Just because Tesla has a large battery capacity doesn't mean you shouldn't use publicly available charging stations. With that logic, cars like the Volt should never use a public charger.

- - - Updated - - -

I wish there was a way to leave my contact information and not my cell. But def leaving a note would help. Good suggestion!

Of course you're supposed to use chargepoint stations. I'm not sure about anyone else but Tesla actually provided me with RFID cards for chargepoint at delivery.

The problem of course is that there are probably some people who have been charging when they don't really need it, especially at free charging stations. Which then blocks people who do need it from charging. Given your situation that clearly wasn't the case.

You may find it helpful to leave a note on your dash saying how long you plan to use a charger and maybe a cell number.

I also own a 500e, so i'm well aware of other EVs and their needs. I actually drove the car down to 40 miles range, and I needed 52 miles to get back. I didn't take up more than my designated spot or unplug another EV. I guess it was just a unlucky experience. Good thing he/she didn't key the new car!

- - - Updated - - -

I wish there was a way to leave my contact information and not my cell. But def leaving a note would help. Good suggestion!

Use the Supercharger QR app and print out your personalized QR code

Unfortunately no, I was about another 25 miles from the Fremont supercharger.

Only you can judge if you need to stop at a slow charger or not. If you need to youm, need to. And it is a public charger.
Props and support from me, and others. You did nothing wrong. The note-writer acted foolishly.

The note is a bit like saying "You can't land your airliner at this small regional airport - go land at one with jetways!" How would San Jose Mineta ever survived? :) It's short-sighted, ignorant and rude.

The guy was way out of line. Chargers are there for any EV.

Although I think I personally would have found some way to incorporate a Supercharger into the trip, even if it meant driving another 25 miles out of the way. Still would have been faster than waiting 1.5 hours at a 30-amp.

Alright,

Thanks for the help everyone. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some sort of unwritten rule between EV owners. I will definitely be more thoughtful in choosing chargers and making sure people who need are able to reach me.

Only you can judge if you need to stop at a slow charger or not. If you need to youm, need to. And it is a public charger.
Props and support from me, and others. You did nothing wrong. The note-writer acted foolishly.

The note is a bit like saying "You can't land your airliner at this small regional airport - go land at one with jetways!" How would San Jose Mineta ever survived? :) It's short-sighted, ignorant and rude.

Alright,

Thanks for the help everyone. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't missing some sort of unwritten rule between EV owners. I will definitely be more thoughtful in choosing chargers and making sure people who need are able to reach me.

You did absolutely nothing wrong. Just ran into someone with not a lot of common sense.

What's the concern with leaving your cell phone number? I also own a Leaf so I know an occupied charging spot can lead to range anxiety. But I like to pick up a free charge when I can, and there's a charging station with a close parking spot at a mall nearby my office that I use when I go to that mall for lunch. So I have a note that I put on my dash that reads: "If you need this charger, please call me..." with my cell number. So far, no one has called me and there's two spots and the only time they were both occupied was with me and another Tesla. I'd be happy to move it if someone called. But now you all have me concerned about leaving my cell number -- why should I be concerned? In the old days, all our numbers (and names and addresses) were in a big book they left on our doorstep every year...

Frankness, I agree that you did nothing wrong, and I think the note was rude. I'm guessing someone was having a bad day and wanted to share his personal storm cloud.

I drive a low-range vehicle, so here's my view. My office park has chargers, and there have been a few times when it's been full of Volts and a Tesla. I find this annoying ("really, folks? You're just topping off your tanks or you could use your gas XR, but I kinda needed the extra juice to go into town after work...") but I try to remember that I don't know the circumstances and just because it's a Tesla does not mean it has plenty of charge or could get to a HPWC/supercharger. Public chargers are first come, first served. As long as people move the cars once they are no longer charging, it's all good. I'm guessing we've all had to wait at some point. I don't think you have a right to get huffy about it unless the car has finished charging and is still taking up the charging spot. I tend to assume Tesla drivers are a thoughtful bunch; I tend to be a little stunned when I meet one who's a jerk. Maybe the note writer has had opposite experiences. :crying:

Canuck, you're in Canada. From what I've heard, you could probably leave your phone number and *if* someone actually went so far as to disturb you to ask you to move your car, when you appeared, said person would then hand you a coffee and doughnut to make up for the inconvenience. Here in the US, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable leaving my contact info in a random public place. I like the idea of anonomized contact options. I'd prefer it if the supercharger QR app was a general interface for all car and charger setups and didn't release contact info to the end users, just used the info to transmit text messages or something (plus, I'm not iPhone iNdoctrinated). Maybe Google Voice could work, though you'd have to have a number dedicated specifically for that use (sort of the opposite of having one universal contact number, which I thought was its intent, but still worth considering).

Leaf owner.

Obviously, agree that nothing was done wrong. Have I been left out of charging from a Tesla or Volt and had a little pang. Sure. I was in Chapel Hill where the town hall has 4 chargers and they were all used on a random Tuesday at 10am. Tesla and Volt (along with 2 Leafs). My thought was that they all worked in the area. It is pretty rare to commute here anywhere outside even a Leaf's range roundtrip. I was staying overnight and I still didn't need the charge but odds are I needed it more than the Tesla did.

Free charging is tough because people can abuse it. All sorts of issues where people abuse the SCs.

I'm still not sure where leaving a cell phone number is a problem. I'd be much more worried about being keyed than prank called.

I'd have to say that most of the time I see a Tesla at a public charger, I assume they are opportunity charging (ie not needing to charge). But you know what, in my Leaf most of the time I am opportunity charging. Why would I rely on public charging to make it home?

There is a little bit of a class issue here. Certainly saving a few pennies is more important to the average Leaf owner although we all recognize that the average Leaf owner is solidly upper middle class. We have a charging station at the hospital and it is a rare Tesla that parks there. I doubt I'll charge there with a Tesla - partly because I'd have to back in and it is angled and crowded.

The fact is that the Volt is most likely getting the most of the public charger since they have the shortest range and can push it because they have a backup. And a 30-40 mile commute is possible around here.