Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Certified Preowned program coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well as it stands, Tesla is already doing resales of customer Model S's. I just bought mine through Tesla for an owner who wanted to upgrade to a larger battery. I still get all the remaining vehicle and battery warranties, and the service center still treats me like any other Tesla owner -- even if I didn't spend $120K for mine.

The CPO program has essentially been in effect all along, it's just never been officially called a CPO program. But in keeping up with Mercedes, BMW, and all the others, I'm sure Tesla marketing has to make it official so they can let people know that they can get used (AKA: cheaper) Model S's if they just ask.

Here's a hypothetical: Model S85 purchased new in 2012 for $80,000 (moderately loaded, price net of tax rebates), 60k miles driven by 2015 when traded into Tesla for an X or something. What is rough estimate of CPO price to the public in 2015, and what would it be worth in 2018 after adding another 75k miles?

ist the 7500$ tax credit also aplicable on used EVs, where the pre owner maybe already used a tax credit already?

No, tax credits are only for the original owner.
In more detail - whether the credit is used or not by the original owner has no bearing on future owners. If you are the first owner, you have the option of taking the credit. If you are the second (or further) owner, you can't take a credit, regardless of what the first owner did.

People sometimes get confused and think the credit can be claimed by subsequent owners if not claimed by the first (lots of stories of less than honest Chevy/Nissan dealers implying this to customers of used Volts/Leafs). That is absolutely, positively, wrong. You can only take the tax credit if you bought a new, never before titled vehicle delivered with a Manufacturer's Certificate/Statement of Origin. If you got a prior owner's title, you are SOL.

Great news for people like me who have 100% of their federal taxes spoken for due to credits from other projects. If I were to purchase a Model-S right now I'd forfeit the entire $7,500.
As someone who just finished his taxes, please forgive me if I don't have a lot of sympathy for someone with 0 tax liability! :biggrin: :biggrin:

- - - Updated - - -

Well as it stands, Tesla is already doing resales of customer Model S's. I just bought mine through Tesla for an owner who wanted to upgrade to a larger battery. I still get all the remaining vehicle and battery warranties, and the service center still treats me like any other Tesla owner -- even if I didn't spend $120K for mine.

The CPO program has essentially been in effect all along, it's just never been officially called a CPO program. But in keeping up with Mercedes, BMW, and all the others, I'm sure Tesla marketing has to make it official so they can let people know that they can get used (AKA: cheaper) Model S's if they just ask.
Please explain your buying process further - how did you find the car? Did you go to the store and ask specifically about used ones? What was the selection like?

Was this Natick? Who did you talk to there? Do they use the 1%/month & $1/mile pricing, or how was it done?

Does this mean any Tesla trade-ins get scooped up by Tesla vs going to autonation?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a hypothetical: Model S85 purchased new in 2012 for $80,000 (moderately loaded, price net of tax rebates), 60k miles driven by 2015 when traded into Tesla for an X or something. What is rough estimate of CPO price to the public in 2015, and what would it be worth in 2018 after adding another 75k miles?
WAG, cut it in half at each step. New in 2012, $80K -> 2015 with 60K, $40K -> 2018 with 135K, $20K

Please explain your buying process further - how did you find the car? Did you go to the store and ask specifically about used ones? What was the selection like?

Was this Natick? Who did you talk to there? Do they use the 1%/month & $1/mile pricing, or how was it done?

Does this mean any Tesla trade-ins get scooped up by Tesla vs going to autonation?

A forum member in Maryland posted that after his test drive, his sales guy showed him some vehicles available, one for 58K with tech, supercharger, couple other things. I emailed my sales guy and told him if he sees one in the 50's to let me know right away. He said it's extremely rare they have them in the 50's, but if he saw anything he'd let me know. At this point, I'm still assuming we're only talking about inventory vehicles used as loaners or test drive vehicles. I was wrong...

I guess that every sales store in the region gets notified of all vehicles available in their region, whether they're inventory or trades. He received notice of the one I ended up buying -- it was available in New Jersey. From what I was told, the prior owner decided she wanted an upgraded vehicle (larger battery, more goodies, etc.). I was told the specs, then I had the $2,500 deposit down immediately via phone to reserve the vehicle (the joy of credit cards!). He told me later that several other dealers in the New England region had contacted him to see if I was still going to buy the car because they had [potential] buyers .

So every Tesla store in New England was notified of this vehicle that was ultimately a trade-in/trade-up. I assume that as people with the expendable income to be first in line for the P85D's take delivery of those, most will likely trade in their existing Model S's, making them available for second-hand buyers like me. Mine only had 10,600 miles on it, but it saved me [roughly] $27,000 off buying new (okay, $17K after incentives, but still...).

For me, it was no Auto Nation, just Trevor at the Natick showroom -- great guy, super nice, super responsive. Through it all I only dealt with Tesla. The Tesla service center gave it a thorough inspection down in New Jersey, then they shipped it up to the Watertown service center, detailed it, and I took it home. The process was about two weeks start to finish, but most of that was the result of dealing with my bank in California while living in Massachusetts.

As far as the service center is concerned, I'm every bit as special as any other Tesla owner -- that fact that I bought used is irrelevant. Those guys are awesome. I can't say enough good things about any of the Tesla staff I've dealt with.

I put in an order for an S85D this morning. Will only do it if the trade in is reasonable. The sticker was about $87-88k on my current S that I purchased in April (13k miles now). I contacted AutoNation and they said they do not accept Tesla trade-ins and I would have to contact my sales advisor at Tesla. Working on that now...unless one of you want to buy a Tesla in February/March!

... Mine only had 10,600 miles on it, but it saved me [roughly] $27,000 off buying new (okay, $17K after incentives, but still...).

As far as the service center is concerned, I'm every bit as special as any other Tesla owner -- that fact that I bought used is irrelevant. Those guys are awesome. I can't say enough good things about any of the Tesla staff I've dealt with.

Plenty of details that are different, but plenty are the same for me. My path to Roadster ownership led through a BMW dealership, but the really important bits are the same. Somebody else paid for ~60k of depreciation that let me acquire a Roadster with 12k miles on the odometer (and just over 2 years on the warranty too). The folks at my local service center have never led me to believe I'm anything lesser by being a second owner.

This approach, of waiting for a gently to greatly used Model S, and using that to get into the car; that's going to put a lot of new people into a fully capable EV. And that's a good thing.

I was told by the salespeople @ Natick that the deposit is refundable until you confirm (or it auto-confirms after 2 weeks).

This is true. They give you two weeks to make any edits to the submitted config, or to completely back out. (Maybe they really just give you the two weeks to figure out how to break it to you spouse so you know if you can really keep it!)

My point to MassX1317, though, was that the deposit for the D's would begin a several month wait for his new S, but unless he's willing to go some time without his car, the trade-in evaluation would come long after the deposit is committed.

This is true. They give you two weeks to make any edits to the submitted config, or to completely back out. (Maybe they really just give you the two weeks to figure out how to break it to you spouse so you know if you can really keep it!)

My point to MassX1317, though, was that the deposit for the D's would begin a several month wait for his new S, but unless he's willing to go some time without his car, the trade-in evaluation would come long after the deposit is committed.
I misunderstood your point. I guess I assumed he was going to use the 2 week period to get an initial trade-in quote. If it's unacceptable, he can back out of the S85D. If it's good, I guess there is some risk that his trade-in valuation could tank by Feb, but it may be low enough to put $2500 at risk.