Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Trade-in for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cattledog

Supporting Member
Feb 9, 2012
San Antonio, TX
An article out today says Tesla will make a lot of $ selling used Model S' that come back to them through the lease or buyback program. If that's true, and they want more Model S', do you think they will initiate a trade-in program for those buying a Model X? Not the warmed over thing with a third party that they did when they started selling Model S, but something directly with them. If so, where will they inventory those cars? Not sure the service centers are set up to handle that potential extra volume.

An article out today says Tesla will make a lot of $ selling used Model S' that come back to them through the lease or buyback program. If that's true, and they want more Model S', do you think they will initiate a trade-in program for those buying a Model X? Not the warmed over thing with a third party that they did when they started selling Model S, but something directly with them. If so, where will they inventory those cars? Not sure the service centers are set up to handle that potential extra volume.

If they price it right, Tesla won't have an inventory problem. Buying a used ICE is always a risk. I can't think of a better used car purchase than an EV designed from the ground up, with already good range, made by an EV only manufacture that offers 5 years remaining on a 8 year warranty.

I hope this is part of Tesla's master plan to get EV's on the road.

If they price it right, Tesla won't have an inventory problem. Buying a used ICE is always a risk. I can't think of a better used car purchase than an EV designed from the ground up, with already good range, made by an EV only manufacture that offers 5 years remaining on a 8 year warranty.

I hope this is part of Tesla's master plan to get EV's on the road.

And I believe this will be the early manifestation of my belief that the early Model 3's won't really be Model 3's - they'll be used Model S's that get down close to the Model 3 price range (well optioned Model 3's, but still). And I agree that this will all further Tesla's master plan of getting more EV's on the road.