Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Falcon Wings - Must have them, will absolutely hate them

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnxietyRanger

Aug 22, 2014
EU
As an EU Sig X holder, who isn't having second thoughts about the Model X, let alone Tesla in general, I was wondering how many of you who have reserved or know they are very likely buying a Model X, have mixed feelings on the Falcon Wings? Like me.

I must start with a contradictory disclaimer: Were it not for the Falcon Wings, I might actually be in the market for a 4WD Model S upgrade in the next year or two instead. But strangely, those doors call out to me. I don't need them, I have no interest in a third row, but the wings are just so darn cool. I want those doors. I must have those doors.

Except, in reality, I don't. I expect them to be a living he** on Earth. A source of daily ridicule from the family, with rear-seat passengers mocking the doors every time they have to wait for them to open. People ducking out underneath while they slowly open, falling into the mud and blaming me. Myself not wanting to park in any public garages (or not letting anyone in the back out in said garages, if I do) for the fear of hitting the ceiling with the doors. So I must let my rear passengers out on the other side of a muddy field from the destination, after which I won't let them back in because they are dirty from the mud and they have to take the bus instead. Besides, I'm not opening their doors in the garage where I parked, so they couldn't get back in anyway.

All the while myself hating the fact that the "sunroof" windows can't be opened. The only good part is that the rear seat won't be complaining why their section of the panoramic roof can't be opened, because they are taking the bus.

To me, this really is the defining Tesla experience, though. You just got to have it, even though you know it will seriously make your life harder. The payoffs are too big to pass. The future too here to miss. I live in an area with poor to non-existent EV infrastructure and most garages built for 1970s Mini Coopers, yet I'm on a list for an EV SUV with Falcon Wings.

Because, really, what else is there. I will have those doors.

I reserved an X about 2 years ago. The potential dealbreakers for me are the albatross wing doors and the larger vehicle. I just want AWD, as I spend a lot of time in Colo ski country in the winter. As my sig line says, the switch may be coming, depending on what happens later this week.

The doors are going to have sensors to prevent them hitting walls or roofs, so you can scratch that concern off your list. Your passengers will be so enamored of the usefulness of the doors (like that they won't have to contort themselves to get in or out of the vehicle) that they won't mind waiting an extra second or two for them to open to get out. Lastly, cover the flooring and seats with plastic or consider moving some place less wet. :wink:

Lastly, cover the flooring and seats with plastic or consider moving some place less wet. :wink:
Or just tell your passengers that you want to keep the floor of the car clean, and thus they should take off their shoes when entering. ;)

"Wow, your car cost more than my first house."
"Yah, about that. Can you take off your shoes before you come in? Kthx."

It is autumn. ;)

But seriously, jest aside, I am interested to hear if others also have love it/hate it mixed feelings on the Falcon Wings and how you are looking at the issue?
Several things caused me to reserve a Model X, need a car for my wife to drive so I can have my Model S back. Love the idea of something that separates Tesla from the others. Want to have an all electric garage. Want to be able to go to the snow. Do not see my self driving the S in the snow. So love the falcon doors and based on the past I feel confident that Tesla will design them well.

Yes, I too am worried about how the doors will work in day to day to use. An ordinary Tesla SUV would have worked just fine with me - no need for the goofy, I mean, unique, doors.

BTW, I still believe that a major reason for the Model X delay has just been battery supply constraints. The Model S has been selling faster than anticipated (just read Tesla's forecasts going back a few years), so there wasn't any point bringing out the X earlier since they would just end up with year long backlogs. So they used the time to make further Model X enhancements. If I get a chance Thursday, I'll ask Elon if this was in fact a major reason for the delay.

i kinda re-iterate what you think as well - i mostly don't want the falcon doors but won't mind having them due to the coolness factor of them .. if the x comes with sliding rears as an option though i would likely go for that ... hard to say, let's see how they work on the final production model - i have a feeling a lot of the concerns that have come up in this forum regarding the doors will be addressed and we'll all be pleasantly surprised when we see the final configuration

...I want those doors. I must have those doors.

Except, in reality, I don't. I expect them to be a living he** on Earth. A source of daily ridicule from the family, with rear-seat passengers mocking the doors every time they have to wait for them to open. People ducking out underneath while they slowly open, falling into the mud and blaming me. Myself not wanting to park in any public garages (or not letting anyone in the back out in said garages, if I do) for the fear of hitting the ceiling with the doors. So I must let my rear passengers out on the other side of a muddy field from the destination, after which I won't let them back in because they are dirty from the mud and they have to take the bus instead. ...

ROFL! :)

I'm hoping to get great utility from the vehicle; this includes dirt, mud, weeds and dog-hair. I'd like to see a Mud Edition, where the floor is bed-liner and interior is all waterproof materials that you could just open the hatch and sweep/hose it out. A rough-and-tumble vehicle to dispell the notion that EVs are fragile flowers. Who knows, maybe have a TV ad with dust, cattle, steel guitar and the voice-over has a deep country twang. :)

It seems to me like the Falcon Wings attempt to solve three problems:

1) Third-row access
2) Opening rear doors in tight spaces (offset by height limitation)
3) Differentiation for the sake of being different

The latter really isn't a problem in a Tesla that is already very different - and not just for the sake of being different. Not all of us need third-row access. And finally, even the second point is a compromise due to height and speed limitations.

That said, I would be disappointed if the Falcon Wings were cancelled. It is a major part that separates Model X from Model S. So I guess the third point really matters more than I would too readily admit. :)

Can you guys think of other reasons for the Falcon Wings?

It seems to me like the Falcon Wings attempt to solve three problems:

1) Third-row access
2) Opening rear doors in tight spaces (offset by height limitation)
3) Differentiation for the sake of being different

The latter really isn't a problem in a Tesla that is already very different - and not just for the sake of being different. Not all of us need third-row access. And finally, even the second point is a compromise due to height and speed limitations.

That said, I would be disappointed if the Falcon Wings were cancelled. It is a major part that separates Model X from Model S. So I guess the third point really matters more than I would too readily admit. :)

Can you guys think of other reasons for the Falcon Wings?

#1 Reason: It will be a lot easier for parents to get their kids in and out of car seats. No need to fold yourself in half to do this task. Don't forget, when the Model X was first conceived, Elon still had kids in car seats.

Cool factor: For families, the cool factor is for the kids—their private spaceship.

I have posted this elsewhere but a couple thoughts on the X:
Falcon doors: Another reason they will be there, Elon has said they will be and they seem to be a point of pride at this time. Personally, I like them, my wife loathes them. Thus, we are on the fence about replacing her gas hogging SUV with the X or an AWD S. Only 'must have' feature for her is AWD. So, the AWD S or X (fun debate in my household)

Delay in the X: The bar has been set very high for the X after the accolades showered on the S. It has to be right from the get go.....no 12volt batt/door handle type of issues seen on the early Ss which were annoying but accepted because the car was otherwise stellar. The battery constraint is another issue. Finally, I expect the model S GMs are higher now than the Xs will be until it is ramped up. Why not take your short supply of batteries and put them into the vehicle that will make you the most money? EM has stated that TM has not yet tested the limits of demand for the S......so test it, as you make more $ and get the X 'perfect'.

I'm thinking it could be helpful for passengers who have mobility issues.

#1 Reason: It will be a lot easier for parents to get their kids in and out of car seats. No need to fold yourself in half to do this task. Don't forget, when the Model X was first conceived, Elon still had kids in car seats.

Cool factor: For families, the cool factor is for the kids—their private spaceship.

Those are fair points. Although I have to wonder how hard reaching the door closing button will be for some, on the Falcon Wings. Do they close like the trunk lid from a button high up? Does anyone have the time, how long the Falcon Wings open/close on the prototype?

As for child's seats, do you mean it is easier to put a child on the seat/lift a child from the seat when the parent is not obstructed by the rear door behind their back when reaching inside the car, or what scenario in particular?