Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster data/GPS module, need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've determined that my car is missing the module which gives the VDS its GPS and data-stream (w/ Tesla). I have an antenna but the module itself is missing. Wondering if anyone knows anything about these modules, any idea if ots a garmin unit or some other oem manufacturer and if so what the part number may be? If you can see yours and find the part numbers off the sides it would be super helpful! The module is mounted next to the wiper fluid reservoir up front (you would need to remove the black plastic shroud, which has 7 bolts or clips holding it down, to visualize it)

It seems like this module is necessary to get gps tracking for ovms and an accurate clock in the vds. I want to have those 2 features!

Thanks in advance!

Not sure what "module" you mean. The front VDS antenna is bolted on the bottom middle of the crash structure. The nav GPS antenna is on top by the left headlight. I would assume you are referring to the front vds antenna with the 4 pin black connector.

I think it's a Garmin. Tesla replaced it on the CPO Roadster I bought last year under warranty. The VDS was not giving me any direction or elevation information and no location info was coming through OVMS, but the GPS in the stock JVC was still working.

They just ordered a new unit and installed it. I have no idea what the part number is, but just be aware they replaced it in mine less than a year ago. I'm sure someone at the local service center can tell you what it is.

Not sure what "module" you mean. The front VDS antenna is bolted on the bottom middle of the crash structure. The nav GPS antenna is on top by the left headlight. I would assume you are referring to the front vds antenna with the 4 pin black connector.

Its not the antenna but the actual GPS receiver which is mounted up front, the antenna that is also mounted up front under the headlight connects to this receiver and this receiver connects to the VMS in the car to give the VMS date/time and location information; its needed for geo-tagged charging profiles and for the OVMS to work for tracking the car.

The antenna by the headlight is connected to the radio nav unit not the VDS. Here is a pic of the vds antenna with the black connector. I previously gave you a list of the connectors and what they connect to. I assume that you have an extra one. If it is not the black 4 pin one, what does it look like?
tesla ant 007.JPG
tesla ant 009.JPG

I have two GPS antennas by my front driver's side headlight (SAM_0611.JPG - Google Drive, SAM_0612.JPG - Google Drive). I'm reasonably sure the small one is connected to the SatNav. While the Garmin is plugged into the CANBUS, and is presumably where the VMS/VDS gets the positioning information from. I'll probably have my front end apart again this weekend, if I remember I'll see if I can't get you a part number...

Thanks for the information guys! Yeah, that Garmin unit is the one I need, I'm pretty sure by looking at it and comparing to the available oem garmin gps receivers that it is the Garmin 18x, seen here Garmin 18x LVC GPS Navigator Unit:Amazon:GPS & Navigation

I'm going to order it and give it a shot, if it works we will all have a cheap alternative to buying the this part from Tesla (its $400) and we will know it'll be available as well!

- - - Updated - - -

The antenna by the headlight is connected to the radio nav unit not the VDS. Here is a pic of the vds antenna with the black connector. I previously gave you a list of the connectors and what they connect to. I assume that you have an extra one. If it is not the black 4 pin one, what does it look like?View attachment 60862View attachment 60863

I wonder if that one is the Tesla data connection unit? The Tesla service guys confirmed with me the VDS GPS receiver is the Garmin unit (they don't know model #, but know its Garmin).

Sweet man, you are awesome! Does anyone know what that connector is called? Molex 6-pin? I don't know my connectors very well, I may have to just buy 2 6-pin connectors and swap both sides otherwise, which isn't bad...

I've routed around the usual places (Mouser, Digi) and the Molex site. Either it something that's been EOL'ed or possibly custom (unlikely, I think). The problem is the center facing sloped pin -- can't find anything that matches. Its almost certainly a Molex part though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Its possible I missed it, the parametric searches for Molex stuff is abysmal.

So I bought a set of 6-pin Molex connectors at Fry's (male/female) and it looks like the dimensions are basically the same, the pins are the same diameter as well, the only missing functional component is the little part that juts out for the clip to hold on to, I'm thinking I can just make it work and leave the proper Tesla connector on the vehicle, which is good for future owners who may want to just buy the module from Tesla if it ever becomes necessary again.

BTW, the side of the connector on the Tesla says Tyco, so maybe Tyco sells their own automotive grade connectors, I notice there is a small gasket on it to keep it sealed.

Thanks for all the help guys, the Garmin arrives tomorrow so I can connect the Molex, plug it in and test it out! Will report back!

Do we have a database somewhere to log availability of parts (besides from Tesla) and Off-the-shelf component options? May be a good idea to start one, if there isn't one already I'll start a Google-Drives spreadsheet we can all spread around! (Edit, I made one: Tesla Roadster parts list - Google Sheets)

Last edited:
Do we have a database somewhere to log availability of parts (besides from Tesla) and Off-the-shelf component options? May be a good idea to start one, if there isn't one already I'll start a Google-Drives spreadsheet we can all spread around! (Edit, I made one: Tesla Roadster parts list - Google Sheets)

Great idea! Thank you. I wonder if this spreadsheet and discussion of parts that go in it should be a separate thread?

It works! Everything is perfect, compass, altimeter, clock and OVMS tracking! Only nuance is connect the yellow wore to where the thick black wire is on the images below. I heat shrunk it and the connector holds tightly even without the proper clip point.

Thanks guys!

I know this was months ago, but while I was routing around the Service Manuals site I looked up this connector. On the 2010 LHD, it should be an Amp 794895-1, (794895-1 .163" Centerline, 600 V, 9.5 A max. - TE).

Comparing the photos earlier in the thread to their site, I'm pretty confident its right.

This is odd, in that ElectricLove found a Tyco stamp on his.

Not that I think this information will ever be of any use to anyone, ever... =o)

I am replacing my GPS module next weekend and would like to know if anyone has a picture of which GPS wires connect to the Tesla connector. The above post says to connect the yellow wire to where the thick black wire is on the images blelow but there is no image. Thanks.