Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SuperCharger Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night, I went to KaiTak supercharges to have my first charge after the delivery. I parked at the first slot (1A). I plugged in the cable and the charging started after the warm up. Yet, it shows the charging rate was 22km/Hour, which is very low. I unplug and plug in to try again, the rate is still the same.

Dock 1B was not in used, while 2A was in used by another Model S. A minute later, another Model S came and parked at 2B, the owner plug-in the cable, but then he came to tell me that his charging rate was only 70km/hour.

I switch to 1B to try, and the charge was 180km/hour, much better! But it is still lower than normal. ( right?)

I have reported the issue to TM support team. :cool:

I went to kai tak today and there was a Tesla engineer there, he told me that the supercharger was only up to 50% of normal charging rate so he was there to fix it. I got 210km/hr today, so it should be around 420km/hr when it's working normally?

I went there also tonight at 6:30pm, I saw the Tesla demo car( license plate is "Tesla") was about to leave. I think they are there to check and fix the superchargers. I got in the carpark, and found that both 1A and 1B are out of service. The W hotel Models was at 2A, I parked at 2B as a result, but I could only get 80km/hr.

Hi ThomasC, when you got 210K/hr, which dock were you in? was there any other Model S using other docks? thanks!

by the way, I charged up to 90% at 8PM, while I was driving out of the dock, another Model S came in. Lucky that he came at the right time!

I went there also tonight at 6:30pm, I saw the Tesla demo car( license plate is "Tesla") was about to leave. I think they are there to check and fix the superchargers. I got in the carpark, and found that both 1A and 1B are out of service. The W hotel Models was at 2A, I parked at 2B as a result, but I could only get 80km/hr.

Hi ThomasC, when you got 210K/hr, which dock were you in? was there any other Model S using other docks? thanks!

by the way, I charged up to 90% at 8PM, while I was driving out of the dock, another Model S came in. Lucky that he came at the right time!

I don't remember the number of the dock, but it was the first one on the right when you face toward it. The W hotel one was there around noon too, seems like they are charging it twice a day?
When I arrived, the one from W hotel was using the dock next to mine, so I got 1xxkm/h only, it went up to 210km/h after he left

I don't remember the number of the dock, but it was the first one on the right when you face toward it. The W hotel one was there around noon too, seems like they are charging it twice a day?
When I arrived, the one from W hotel was using the dock next to mine, so I got 1xxkm/h only, it went up to 210km/h after he left

I see, you should be at 2B. Hope they will fix it soon. :-D

So I am back, breaking my "1,000" post count now, and let me chip in.

I was there as well, yesterday, and while I was there, that is when the Tesla Engineers arrived as mentioned in a post above. There was another Model S, white P85+ that came just after me, and THEN the engineers. Thanks to the WhatsApp meet up group, I was hinted to use 2A as the better one (while 1A/1B were disabled).

1A-B broken.jpg

I only got around 253 km/h when it was fastest (378v 140A), while the White MS in 2B only got around 60 km/h. The light in 1A/B was out, and a bucket with cardboard sign blocked these two stands.

The engineers asked to see our cars charging status and I offered them all the access and help they wanted.

As the other MS arrived with quite a full charge (he was just there to try supercharging), and I arrived with just over 100 km "typical range", our cars finished charging around the same time (as mine in 2A was 4x faster than his in 2B). We tried the cafe/restaurant above the superchargers, and after being there a while my parking fee was 16 HKD, lunch 100, so 116 HKD for a full charge AND parking AND set lunch (while the family was dropped at Megabox) is quite OK I think.

As I don't live on HK Island, it's the difference between Hopewell - free parking but 2x tunnel vs Kai Tak paid parking but no tunnel. I hope there will be a supercharger soon in the area around Tuen Mun / Tsuen Wan

Ealier that week, during the public holiday, all spots were ICEd, then ...

4 x ICE Kai Tak supercharger.JPG

... later on, one by one, we managed to take back what we thought was ours! This was before 1A/B were broken, but they were going slowly, different speeds in different spots.

Happy Kai Tak charging.jpg

On this note, we managed to contact a Ms Wong, who were in charge of the parking lot (by phone). In the end we found out that Tesla Motors paid "rent" according to some contract, for the space for these chargers. But that rent only includes the chargers and backstage equipment, not the 4 spots in front of them!

"All the spots are for everyone, not reserved for Tesla" according to Ms Wong. So what's the point then of having 4 dedicated parking spots? That would also be the reason there was no sign there, reserved for Tesla Electric Cars.

All comes back to the limited space and high rents in HK. Probably Tesla is not prepared to pay the HK$ 2000+ monthly rent per bay. But if they can't ensure the bays are for Teslas only, the chance to find an available Supercharger bay is seriously diminished and the whole supercharging idea and experience is jeopardized.

Getting my car tomorrow. Perhaps after such a long wait I've already lost the time awareness and the excitement I used to have previously. Hopefully that will change when I get behind the wheel, for good :)

I feel a bit worried about the SC issues you guys have been experiencing recently. The fact that I didn't choose the dual charger option may potentially affect my charging experience. Since I cannot install the wall connector, I will completely rely on using public chargers and the SCs. I previously expected to mostly utilise the free SCs, but the recent hiccups mean the two SC locations are simply not enough and I may have to rely mostly on those other 32A, or even 13A chargers. With 3-phase 32A 220V, my single charger cannot really take the full advantage, and I may have to be stuck in a shopping mall or what not for a longer period of time if my battery is already very low. I do hope Tesla keeps investing in HK and build more SC locations across the territory. Geographically HK is compact but population is high and people here have the money. Number of Model Ss will keep increasing and the existing charging infrastructure won't be able to cope. Unlike other counties, I think the number of SC locations shouldn't simply be determined by distances.

I hope there will be a number of ChaDeMo installed also. Where shopping malls currently have almost exclusively 13A, bypassing 32A and going straight for ChaDeMo would be a great alternative to a real supercharger. The advantage is also that other cars than Model S can use it - I mean advantage for the parking lot owner, as the spots can be more flexibly used.

So we need the ChaDeMo adapters to be available soon (I know they are being tested in HK). All Japanese Model S cars come with ChaDeMo as default, as there are thousands of ChaDeMo already in Japan. I am curious to know what charging rates they get, so I asked in the Japan thread already. On The Tesla Motors Accessories page, the ChaDeMo is still listed as "Coming soon", and it says around 240 km/h for charging - which would be sufficient for a stop at a shopping mall. My guess is that with the current SC problems, a reliable ChaDeMo won't charge much slower than a SC.

For long term parking, like airport, work or overnight at home, 32A or even 13A could be sufficient, but those shopping mall type chargers, where you only stop for a few hours - I was in Tuen Mun Town Plaza today, and got just over 4kWh in two hours. By the time we were home (just a few km away), we had about the same range as when we started.

Tesla Motors needs to urgently

1) Install more superchargers (and spread out in HK, not just in central/TST, please)

2) Fix the current superchargers

3) Ensure current and future superchargers are reserved for Tesla cars, clearly signed off as such, and blocked with cones or similar to keep out lazy ICE drivers

4) Get that ChaDeMo adapter tested and on the market soon

Getting my car tomorrow. Perhaps after such a long wait I've already lost the time awareness and the excitement I used to have previously. Hopefully that will change when I get behind the wheel, for good :)

I feel a bit worried about the SC issues you guys have been experiencing recently. The fact that I didn't choose the dual charger option may potentially affect my charging experience. Since I cannot install the wall connector, I will completely rely on using public chargers and the SCs. I previously expected to mostly utilise the free SCs, but the recent hiccups mean the two SC locations are simply not enough and I may have to rely mostly on those other 32A, or even 13A chargers. With 3-phase 32A 220V, my single charger cannot really take the full advantage, and I may have to be stuck in a shopping mall or what not for a longer period of time if my battery is already very low. I do hope Tesla keeps investing in HK and build more SC locations across the territory. Geographically HK is compact but population is high and people here have the money. Number of Model Ss will keep increasing and the existing charging infrastructure won't be able to cope. Unlike other counties, I think the number of SC locations shouldn't simply be determined by distances.
I don't see how you are being held back by only having a single charger in Hong Kong. I don't think there are any 20kW (32A 3-phase) charging stations installed. The 100 new 32A stations are single phase, so only 7kW, well within the capabilities of your car.

I am curious what exactly Tesla is doing about providing other locations with Superchargers. I wonder if they have considered Science Park or even in the NT areas, some may have to travel to get to them but it would still be useful.

that is really good news! :rolleyes:

It's not really news, more like "olds" ... if there is any word like that.

"Under planning" is not reassuring to me, that sounds like "we are thinking about what to do". I really hope there will be more superchargers, hopefully at least 5 locations by year end.

- Airport
- Tuen Mun/Tsuen Wan area
- Yuen Long Area
- Shatin (Science park, for instance)

Currently, 60% of the SC spots are on HK Island, behind a double paywall of tunnel fees for those of us not on HK Island. Sure I could use the Kai Tak one, but it is more than 30 km away (as is Hopewell).

It is not only about being closer, it's also about capacity, with so many Model S cars on the way - and already here.