Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Denver to Northern IL along Supercharger route......sights to see?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm going to be driving my Model S from Denver to Northern IL with my wife, which on the current supercharger highway will take us north to Wyoming, across South Dakota, across southern Minnesota, then through Wisconsin to IL. I'm already pretty familiar with central/south Wisconsin.

So, besides Mt. Rushmore, do any of you have any suggestions as to what we can visit that also keeps us in range of the superchargers? We won't be camping or anything like that, and only have 2 1/2 days to get to Northern IL from Denver.

Thanks!

P.S. Which forum has more members/posting activity for Model S drivers? This one or the Teslamotors forum?

2.5 days is not a lot of time for that trip, enough, but not time for side trips. As you say in addition to Mt. Rushmore, there are the Badlands in SD, which are right off the highway and one can do the whole loop through the park as a byway. To do it justice, allow at least 2-4 hours extra. Devils tower is really cool, but more of a detour to the north of I-90 in Wyoming. Still doable with superchargers, but might eat into your time budget. Once you get past the Badlands coming east, it is pretty desolate, but really fast, until Wisconsin.

I am doing much of that route Westbound starting late Tuesday. Perhaps we will wave to each other across the median. :wink:

Enjoy!

2.5 days is not a lot of time for that trip, enough, but not time for side trips. As you say in addition to Mt. Rushmore, there are the Badlands in SD, which are right off the highway and one can do the whole loop through the park as a byway. To do it justice, allow at least 2-4 hours extra. Devils tower is really cool, but more of a detour to the north of I-90 in Wyoming. Still doable with superchargers, but might eat into your time budget. Once you get past the Badlands coming east, it is pretty desolate, but really fast, until Wisconsin.

I am doing much of that route Westbound starting late Tuesday. Perhaps we will wave to each other across the median. :wink:

Enjoy!

He-he.....perhaps, but I think you will have completed your journey before I even start! Thanks for the info. I'll check those points out on Google Maps.

I did that route over the summer as part of a Boston to Boulder trip. One attraction I was pleasantly surprised by was the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. It's a bit touristy with the requisite gift shop, but the history of folks being out in that harsh environment growing corn 100 years ago was inspiring. It was a good slice of The USA. They wanted to promote their product and said "let's build a corn palace" and they jumped in and did it.

I did that route over the summer as part of a Boston to Boulder trip. One attraction I was pleasantly surprised by was the Corn Palace in Mitchell, SD. It's a bit touristy with the requisite gift shop, but the history of folks being out in that harsh environment growing corn 100 years ago was inspiring. It was a good slice of The USA. They wanted to promote their product and said "let's build a corn palace" and they jumped in and did it.

Love it!! Can't wait to get a picture of the Tesla in front of it. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

On my trip (look at my blog if you like).

I liked Custer State Park, Crazy Horse (more than Mt. Rushmore) and Badlands.

Cool. Will check out your blog. Thanks.

Chamberlain, SD rest stop overlooking the Missouri is pretty nice... Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center | Chamberlain-Oacoma Community
I wouldn't get too worked up over the Corn Palace, though:)

He-he. I love cheesy tourist attraction stuff. World's biggest ball of twine, stuff like that.

Wall Drug!!!!

That's funny. You're the second person to suggest that. I gave the first person a strange look like, "Why in the world would I want to go to a drugstore in the middle of nowhere?" But now that I read the wiki, I guess it looks interesting. Thanks.

Green Giant statue. Blue Earth, MN.

Someone mentioned cheesy tourist stuff :)

My wife and I were so bummed. We were driving at night, and had every intention of visiting that site on the way down the highway to the next Supercharger on our way home. We were coming up to the exit on the highway and..........closed for construction! We saw the giant statue all lit up in the distance from the highway, but I didn't have the juice to go to the next exit, turn back to the statue, then turn around and hit the next supercharger :( Maybe next time.......

- - - Updated - - -

Mission accomplished!

Mitchell SD corn palace 2.jpg