Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Always unlock at location feature

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the suspension feature of always rising at a particular location made me think of a possible feature. This would not be for everyone but my tesla is always garaged at home. It automatically locks, which I like as a feature but not when its in my locked garage. It would be nice to be able to specify a spot where it doesn't lock. Frequently have to find key to unplug charger or get something from the car. Of course if there were a reason to lock it you could over ride the feature with your key

+1 YES YES YES. I don't use walk-away locking ONLY because I prefer the car unlocked while in my garage. Hope this is implemented soon. I also wish for an optional 'beep' when the car (auto) locks to confirm. Otherwise I may as well just keep manually locking because thats the only way I can be sure it secure.

This could be added to the phone apps (and Visible Tesla) assuming they're left running when you arrive home.

Also, you could (have someone) write a desktop app that just runs all the time and unlocks the car every X minutes when it notices the GPS location within a certain area.

As for Tesla, I'm not sure they are confident in being able to know whether or not you're the garage, the driveway, or on the street. As such, the feature may not be as precise as one would like.

One thing is that the car seems to lose track of its location while parked in my garage, judging by the charge location indications scattered all around my neighborhood. Perhaps this is just a bug, though, since it seems to know it's location most of the time while in my garage.

The other thing, this feature would be vulnerable to a GPS spoofing attack.

Leaving the fob in the car will drain the battery in the fob very quickly and is not recommended, from what I recall reading here.

I would also like a feature like this "leave unlocked" too, but maybe modify it so that if the car is plugged in and this charging location is designated as a no-lock area, then the GPS location wouldn't have to be so accurate. then if the car is inside the garage or outside isn't so important. It just needs to be unlocked if connected to the charger. I always plug in when the car is in the garage, so that would work for me. I don't know about others.

As for the beep when the auto-lock happens, I'd like that too just for the positive feedback it gives. I used the auto-lock feature and don't normally worry about the locking, but it would definitely be reassuring. Heck, I'd even take a text message that says the car autolocked if the Tesla design philosophy is to reduce noise from beeps in parking lots.

Can't you just leave the fob in the car?

That's weird! Our car knows where it is in our garage! It displays our exact street address consistently.
One thing is that the car seems to lose track of its location while parked in my garage, judging by the charge location indications scattered all around my neighborhood. Perhaps this is just a bug, though, since it seems to know it's location most of the time while in my garage.

The other thing, this feature would be vulnerable to a GPS spoofing attack.

What if you have to leave the car in your driveway? The GPS probably isn't accurate enough to tell the difference between in the garage and in the driveway.
I want this feature too, but I want the car to lock itself if it is in the driveway and not in the garage.

What if you have to leave the car in your driveway? The GPS probably isn't accurate enough to tell the difference between in the garage and in the driveway.
I want this feature too, but I want the car to lock itself if it is in the driveway and not in the garage.

Wouldn't it be easy enough to just lock it with the fob when it's in your driveway? Have the GPS know the location to not auto-lock, but still have the option to lock manually. Or just have it not auto-lock when plugged in and charging in a certain location.

Wouldn't it be easy enough to just lock it with the fob when it's in your driveway? Have the GPS know the location to not auto-lock, but still have the option to lock manually. Or just have it not auto-lock when plugged in and charging in a certain location.

I would worry that I would sometimes forget to lock the car in the driveway, because 99.9% of the time I just walk away and it locks.
Your solution would work great for me: If the car is plugged in at home, don't lock. I sometimes leave it in the driveway, but never charge it in the driveway.

I'd really like this feature. I leave the car in the garage and often want to put things in the car without getting the key fob.

Although the car knows I'm home, the address is actually incorrect by a house. I'm not worried about the distance from its spot as I don't envision a scenario where it is parked outside of the garage, it is unlocked and there is something valuable inside.

Personally, I would never want this, and if the car had it, I would want a way to disable it completely. I like my car locked up tight no matter where it is. If someone breaks in to my garage, I would not want them to have easy access to my car once they were inside.

Personally, I would never want this, and if the car had it, I would want a way to disable it completely. I like my car locked up tight no matter where it is. If someone breaks in to my garage, I would not want them to have easy access to my car once they were inside.

Since I don't keep anything in the car I wouldn't worry about this.

As for the feature, I would like to be able to turn it on and off of course. I don't see the harm in allowing the doors to be opened while the charger is plugged in. If the charger is disconnected then you go back to an auto-lock state and the car is not driveable without the fob. Sounds easy enough to me. ;)

Of course you would not have to use the feature just as you may not activate the suspension rise if you didn't actively use it.

- - - Updated - - -

I have no problem with the car autolocking. Just hang/set your key just inside your door to your house. If you forget to unlock your car your are only about a dozen steps from your key.
Not an issue with auto locking i like the feature but would probably use the always unlock at other locations too....like think if your parked at mistress house and have to hide or vacation home etc