Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

25 reasons why I love my Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Right_Said_Fred

May 11, 2012
The Netherlands
- "Model S Not Ready For Commercial Use Prime Time."
- "New Owner of Used P85 and battery failure just occured a few days ago."
- "How embarrassing ! Did I get a lemon"

Anyone interested in buying a Model S may think twice when he reads some of the topic titels on this forum. And even though the posts themselves contain more nuance - the lemon is not really a lemon but had some fit and finish issues, and the battery failure guy is praising Tesla for how it's handled the issue - many people may get the wrong impression: this is a not a car for me. And that couldn't be further from the truth!

I know there are a lot of happy owners out there, enjoying trouble-free driving. I guess people experiencing issues with the car are much more eager to share them here than people with positive experiences. And that leads to a distorted picture for outsiders. So to balance things a bit here's my happy story for those looking to buy a Model S. And I invite others to share their positive stories as well.

I love my Tesla, named Musklecar :wink:. It's better than any car I've driven before: Jeep, Fisker Karma, Chevy Volt, Audi's. Better by far. I’ve had it for one year now and driven 35,000+ km – almost 22,000 miles – and not experienced any serious issues. It never left me stranded, it never let me down, nothing ever broke down. I love the quality, it comes close to what I experienced with Audi.

I’ve been thinking for a while of making a video with 25 reasons why I love this car more than any other car, but haven’t come around to it and maybe never will (I’m not good enough in filming and editing). So here’s my list:

1. I love never having to go to a gas station again: that stinking, windy place where they put me back over €100 ($125 – we pay a lot for gas here) every 5-6 days. I used to spend €6000 a year on gas, now I spend €2000 on electricity to go the same distance.
2. I love going on holidays for free and without any range anxiety, thanks to Tesla’s free supercharger network, which is expanding at an extremely rapid pace. Went 800 km to Austria and 800 back and it didn’t take me much longer than normal. The two half hour stops on each leg combined nicely with a normal rest/food stop.
3. I love being able to drive on solar power (I have panels at my home and business).
4. I love that my car welcomes me by extending the door handles when I approach.
5. I love NOT polluting the world and spreading smelly fumes in other people’s faces.
6. I love killing every Porsche and other sportscar at the traffic light. And the ease of acceleration when I need to overtake on the highway.
7. But I love the quiet and smooth drive as well.
8. I love the beautiful design, not too bland and not too overdone. Just perfect to get noticed by people, but not to get stares from everyone (like I did in my Karma, which became annoying).
9. I love the huge internal space in frunk and trunk. Even 2 meter (6 ft 8) long items fit in, between trunk and frunk it can swallow as much as my former Audi Allroad (station wagon!)
10. I love the enormous safety this big and heavy car provides for my family, enhanced by the huge frontal crumple zone, the reinforced rear, the thick battery pack in the floor and the low center of gravity.
11. I love the huge 21 inch wheels, which are NOT uncomfortable!
12. I love the fact that despite it being a heavy and very fast car I can – judging by the present rate of tire wear – go at least 80,000 or 90,000 km (50,000 or 55,000 miles) on my two sets of 21 inch tires – summer and winter. 19 inch would probably even last longer.
13. I love that I can access and control my car with my Iphone.
14. I love that my loved ones can see on their tablet when I will be arriving, and that I’m safe.
15. I love the huge touch screen and the ease with which it operates.
16. I love being able to access the internet in my car (for free for 4 years) - ofcourse not when driving.
17. I love being able to listen – for free – to every imaginable internet radio station in the world, literally thousands of them. And being able to find any song I can think of through the free Rdio subscription.
18. I love the regenerative braking, which allows me to drive using one foot, while at the same time recharging the battery and saving the brake disks. Braking in a non-electric car is such a waste of kinetic energy.
19. I love the huge, beautiful Google Maps satellite image I can use for navigation and orientation.
20. I love being able to use the remote camera while driving forward.
21. I love that the car gets better all the time with free over-the-air updates.
22. I love that I can remotely turn on the heating and defrosting, so that I get in a heated and defrosted car in the car in the morning, not having to scrape clean the frozen windows.
23. I love that I can come in for service whenever I want, without obligation (I decided to come in after one year or 22,000 miles, but no-one forced me to).
24. I love that I have 8 years of warranty on the two most important parts of the car, battery and drive train.
25. I just love being part of the Tesla-movement, being at the front of clean technological progress.

If you had any doubts, I can tell you: go buy that car! You won't regret it.

Last edited:
- "Model S Not Ready For Commercial Use Prime Time."
- "New Owner of Used P85 and battery failure just occured a few days ago."
- "How embarrassing ! Did I get a lemon"

Anyone interested in buying a Model S may think twice when he reads some of the topic titels on this forum. And even though the posts themselves contain more nuance - the lemon is not really a lemon but had some fit and finish issues, and the battery failure guy is praising Tesla for how it's handled the issue - many people may get the wrong impression: this is a not a car for me. And that couldn't be further from the truth!

Couldn't agree more. Those of us who love the car and have no or few issues rarely post about how reliable our cars are and how much we enjoy driving them. So a scan of TMC would give a visitor an highly exaggerated sense of problems with the Model S. TMC is hardly a reliable or accurate gauge of issues with the car -- it's just a place where owners can post their experiences, impressions, knowledge, and assumptions -- good or bad, right or wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Those of us who love the car and have no or few issues rarely post about how reliable our cars are and how much we enjoy driving them. So a scan of TMC would give a visitor an highly exaggerated sense of problems with the Model S. TMC is hardly a reliable or accurate gauge of issues with the car -- it's just a place where owners can post their experiences, impressions, knowledge, and assumptions -- good or bad, right or wrong.

Yeah I agree, those who do not have problems with their car are usually NOT going to post about the issues with it, or lack there of. No one has ever posted "My car has no blemishes!", it just doesn't happen. But when you have rare cases where a charger goes out, which seems rare because I couldn't find someone with the same issue as I had, you see only those posts. By the way, the service I got with Tesla was the best in my life, for those who are reading this post. Still an extremely reliable car!

We are only going to buy Tesla's going forward. :)

You are right on, Right_Said_Fred. I have nearly the same miles on my car without anything more serious than a rear window issue that was resolved in less than a day, while I drove a loaner Tesla. I adore my car, and if I lived in a cold climate I think I would love it just a little more! Living in the extreme heat and humidity of central Florida, I appreciate the ability to cool my car, but heating one in frigid temps would definitely be a bigger deal.

I can't think of anything I would change about your list, good job.

+1
I am happy to have read this thread. I have been a TMC member for almost a year now, posted 6 times. Not that I have nothing to say, but have been looking to see if I would be making the right decision by buying a Tesla! With all of the negatives, it is nice to read the positives for a change!

I really don't want to buy a car with a lot of "drama" associated with it. I like cars that don't need to visit their manufacturer constantly. The OP's statements say no drama and a well made car. Thanks!