Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S October 2014 - Rear Lights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, here's something I noticed that seems different to me. The other day, a Model S passed me on the freeway (daylight hours) and when he signalled his lane change, the bright red end of the tail light flashed, but so too did the entire rest of the "ring" but at its lower running light level. I thought that only the bright section lit under these circumstances. When I got home, I checked out my car and it does the same thing. If you use a turn signal or hit the brakes when the lighting system is off (daylight) the bright sections comes on (as you'd expect) but so does the rest of the lamp at it's dimmer running light level.

I was wondering if some firmware release changed this behavior, because I sure don't remember that it worked this was from new.

Pictures here would be worth lots of words.
I will post a pic of my Sept.18 produced car tails when it is next daylight.

There are a number of tail light pictures in this thread about condensation in the trim applique that overlaps them. Including this picture of my September 16-19th 2014 produced S:
attachment.php?attachmentid=60160&d=1411842287.jpg

I don't see any significant difference from previous ones.

Stepping back a bit to see the whole taillight... this car was made early Sept.2014, delivered on 18

same car, same tail, in a couple different lighting conditions. car off, no brake lights applied.

this is left tail, driver's side, the chargeport is still the red triangle flap on that side

Attachments

• 20141008_081924.jpg
    20141008_081924.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 530
  • 20141008_085327.jpg
    20141008_085327.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 522
Okay, here's something I noticed that seems different to me. The other day, a Model S passed me on the freeway (daylight hours) and when he signalled his lane change, the bright red end of the tail light flashed, but so too did the entire rest of the "ring" but at its lower running light level. I thought that only the bright section lit under these circumstances. When I got home, I checked out my car and it does the same thing. If you use a turn signal or hit the brakes when the lighting system is off (daylight) the bright sections comes on (as you'd expect) but so does the rest of the lamp at it's dimmer running light level.

I was wondering if some firmware release changed this behavior, because I sure don't remember that it worked this was from new.

Not sure I completely understand which parts of the lights you're talking about, but here's a very early video showing all the lights (and the their functions in various states) to compare with:

I see what you're saying now.. and yeah, it looks like they changed it in software, as the video below is my car delivered Mar of 2013, on v6.0. I like it better the new way. Looks more complete vs half of the light coming on.

[video]http://www.eternal-visions.com/tail light.mov[/video]

Last edited by a moderator: