Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DRL designs... not sure what to do (pics inside)

Which DRL design should I go for?

Votes: 18 51.4%

Votes: 6 17.1%

Votes: 5 14.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 5.7%

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Something else, ...

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • No DRLs, try... instead

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I'm worried about my visibility on the road during the more gray days, so I might add some DRL to the car.

But, I can't really decide about what design to go for, so I made a few photoshops to help me decide, and I want to share them with you all:

1: Inside the "gills"
drl1.jpg

2: Lower grille, small ones
drl2.jpg

3: Halfway down the grille, like the Brabus Roadster
drl3.jpg

4: Dotted along the grille (least favorite so far)
drl4.jpg

5: Halfway dotted:
drl5.jpg

6: Lower grille, wide but thin ones:
drl6.jpg

What do you think?

I did the #6 arrangement with Phillips DRL's. They are smaller and fit nicely under the bottom slat on the grill. That said, I am in the process of replacing them with AudiA6 lights that are bigger and must fit above the bottom slat like #3. The Phillips lights provide a surprising degree of extra light. I hope the A6 LED string will do better. Pics of my project are in the forum.

"DRL LEDs,Motion Sensors, Next Crazy Idea". ...... Somewhere around page #3

Last edited:
At first I liked inside the side-vents (gills) but after thinking about it, if you see the car from off to one side then you'll only see one side. So I'm thinking of changing my vote to 5. half-way dotted.

I think I like inside the gills. You've got good photoshop skills, can you do a side view?

I am thinking about getting HID's with new projectors. If I have to open up the housing, I was considering LED DRL's. Can you PS some inside the housing? Along the bottom and up the inner or outer part, across the very top or just above the lights and down the inner aspect (a la Model S).

Last edited:
I did some research on the car body yesterday, while installing my mudflaps. It turns out I have to scrape design 1 off my list, and possibly design 2 as well. Does anyone know if these air-gaps in the sides of the front grille have any aerodynamic function? Otherwise I will have to go for the less spectacular brabus-inspired version.

I did some research on the car body yesterday, while installing my mudflaps. It turns out I have to scrape design 1 off my list, and possibly design 2 as well. Does anyone know if these air-gaps in the sides of the front grille have any aerodynamic function? Otherwise I will have to go for the less spectacular brabus-inspired version.

I remember reading in a Tesla press release when the new front bumper was released that the side vents helped with aerodynamic efficiency.

Great job, Chillout.

I spent some time thinking about how to incorporate DRLs & couldn't come up with a design/location where to place them. I keep thinking that they would look good/great if it could be incorporated into the headlights. Above the actual headlight sort of following the contour of the body, from the very front running along the edge towards the back almost in an "L" shape. Sort of like the new Mercedes Benz DRL on the GL class. Dont have the skills to PS them & post them but, it would be interesting if could be visualized & evaluated.

Good luck & will be following your posts. Best regards from L.A.

So we finally did it... I got a couple of smaller-sized DRLs, that got some pretty good review comments on the web. It's quite hard to find a good DRL unit without being able to see it in the flesh, most sites only offer photo studio images of the product, hardly ever an installed version on a real-world car. But I went for the Osram PX-4. PX5 was available for the same price as well, but I didn't want the units to be too large. They have a nice slant to them, which suits the design of the car.

Zhapalang_Osram_LEDriving_PX-4_DRL_Kit.jpg

Here we are during installing the units. We took the left headlight out, as well as the bumper to have more area to work in. I will show some finished-product-images soon... I haven't really been on the road during daylight yet!

IMG_20141116_202544.jpg