Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to show Model 3 Oct 9th

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

joefee

May 29, 2011
WA
Tesla to show Model 3 Oct 9th
Published: Oct 3, 2014 4:41 p.m. ET Market Watch

"SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Tesla Motors Inc. will unveil its Model 3, the mass-market car, and new versions of the Model S sedan at the event Oct. 9, analyst Trip Chowdhry with Global Equities Research said in a note Friday. It is no coincidence the event is to take place in the Los Angeles area rather the San Francisco Bay Area, where the electric-car maker is headquartered: Tesla's top designer "spends almost 90% of this time in the LA Design Center," Chowdhry said. Tesla earlier Friday said the event was scheduled for 7 p.m. at the Hawthorne airport. By showing a Model 3 prototype Tesla is also hoping to garner more attention from potential "gigafactory" investors, he added. The new Model S versions would have all-wheel drive and semi-autonomous driver-assistance system"

Hmm. I think this is incorrect. The last sentence also doesn't fit with the rest of the paragraph. "Analysts" are often quite wrong about Tesla, and I'd trust the opinion of 70% of the people on this forum before I trust many of the "analysts" out there.

IMG_0519.JPG

Makes no sense to show a Model 3 before you have shown a Model X beta. Nope. The "something else" is Model X.

Doesn't it makes sense "to garner more attention from potential "gigafactory" investors" as stated in the article? I also take it with a grain of salt, but with ground breaking for the gigafactory at least an artist's rendition of the Model 3 (which would likely go through many changes before actual production years down the road) makes sense to me.

Potential Gigafactory investors don't need to attend an event like this to gather information on the Gen 3, they would have a private meeting with management & relevant info would be provided.

I didn't think it was about potential investors attending the event. Rather, having an artist's rendition of the Model 3 may create more interest so that potential investors take note of it and set up those private meetings; and when better to disclose it than at this event? I guess only time will tell.

It's Model III

It's never Model III. Elon Musk has said it's 3 and even when stylized, definitely not with vertical bars.

And no, no Model 3. it's "just" going to be AWD for S and the Model X beta. I quote the just to highlight the irony. I don't get that any serious analyst would fail to understand that the launch of the AWD system by itself is more than enough to warrant a big event and that it's the decisive piece of engineering that would send the Model X to Beta, thus making the Model X potentially the "something else". And with the "anti-selling" talk on the X, why on earth would Tesla make it even harder by saying "Model 3 is coming!"? If "something else" isn't the X it'd be previewing more advanced Driver Assist like ACC, which is the next thing coming with or after the X.

Tesla's development is essentially:
Roadster (+long range is possible, performance)
Model S (+practical BEV with road tripping)
Model S D (AWD)
Model X (+towing, CUV/SUV)
Driver Assist/Autopilot (+safety,+shiny)
Model 3/Y (+affordability) (Mission (Statement) Accomplished, now what?)
Model P (+pick-up)
Model 4/Z (+more affordability) (Mission Even More Accomplished)

Showing the next step is more than exciting enough, thanks.

Last edited:
I don't know whether or not we'll see a Model 3 in concept form, but I disagree with everyone that says Tesla can't/won't/shouldn't show the Model 3 before the Model X is finalized. The Model X, for all intents and purposes, *is* finalized.

Tesla has gotten a lot of marketing splash out of the Model X, but I don't think that the differences between the production-intent Model X and the various concepts/alphas/whatever we've seen so far are going to be significant enough to provide another splash. Sure, all of the anoraks (I use the term lovingly) on this forum will be excited about the wheel choice or the frunk dimensions or the precise seating layout or the color of the headliner, but the average person is going to see a production-intent Model X and think "yeah, that's the car that I was able to crawl around on and in at the Detroit auto show in 2013. WGAS? Where is the next shiny thing?"

I also don't think that Tesla has anything to prove on the Model X front. It's coming. We all understand the (rough) timeline. The tech is basically proven. At this point the company has done enough and is financially strong enough that there's no real doubt that it will roll off the line in Fremont at some point next year. I do feel bad for the people who've plunked down long green for a reservation on a vehicle that keeps slipping, but at this point it's a matter of when, not if. Finalizing the Model X need not (and I hope *is* not) a condition precedent to beginning work on the Model 3.

I don't know whether or not we'll see a Model 3 in concept form or not, but I disagree with everyone that says Tesla can't/won't/shouldn't show the Model 3 before the Model X is finalized. The Model X, for all intents and purposes, *is* finalized.

Tesla has gotten a lot of marketing splash out of the Model X, but I don't think that the differences between the production-intent Model X and the various concepts/alphas/whatever we've seen so far are going to be significant enough to provide another splash. Sure, all of the anoraks (I use the term lovingly) on this forum will be excited about the wheel choice or the frunk dimensions or the precise seating layout or the color of the headliner, but the average person is going to see a production-intent Model X and think "yeah, that's the car that I was able to crawl around on and in at the Detroit auto show in 2013. WGAS? Where is the next shiny thing?"

I also don't think that Tesla has anything to prove on the Model X front. It's coming. We all understand the (rough) timeline. The tech is basically proven. At this point the company has done enough and is financially strong enough that there's no real doubt that it will roll off the line in Fremont at some point next year. I do feel bad for the people who've plunked down long green for a reservation on a vehicle that keeps slipping, but at this point it's a matter of when, not if. Finalizing the Model X need not (and I hope *is* not) a condition precedent to beginning work on the Model 3.

Model 3 is the "affordable" car. If you tell people "the affordable car is in development" you just give them more reason to wait instead of buy your premium model. They need the premium dollars. Same principle as Tesla not really talking much about the Model X progress because they want to sell the Model S; now that they have the AWD S ready, they can have an event because they know they can sell the S D. I'd suggest that Tesla won't talk much about Model 3 until they're ready to take the reservation dollars.

And on the Model X they absolutely have something to prove: they need to show that their AWD system is top notch.

There are a variety of reasons that you might not want to show a Model 3 concept yet, not least because your competitors are finally starting to take you seriously and you don't want to give too much away this early in the product design cycle. But I don't think that showing the Model 3 would have any impact on Model X sales. Everyone knows that the Model 3 is coming and has a rough idea of when; a concept car that illustrates general layout/styling direction isn't going to move the needle on that front. Plus, while there may be a few cases where a Model X intender would say "I am going to wait for the smaller, cheaper car," I just don't see these vehicles being heavily cross-shopped. If anything, Model 3 might eat into Model S sales, but the intro is so far in the future that even that is unlikely.

I also don't really think that the average customer thinks Tesla has anything to prove on the AWD front. I suspect that the average customer just assumes it will work. AWD is a nice feature, but with it available on all manner of ICE cars it's hardly an above-the-fold marquis kind of thing. It's not transformative. And while I understand that the Tesla dual motor approach is technically different from what we've seen in other cars, I don't think there's any doubt they'll pull it off or any particular magic in doing so. I mean, people have even been building dual ICE motor cars for a long time.