Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Third Row Ventilation Problem Solved

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That thing is really ugly no matter what color you pick. And $50?? You can DIY with a dryer vent hose and some twist ties. You would only need a short one since you can start from the back seat vents (behind the arm rest), so it would only need to go above the back seat.

It's really sad that owners of a $100,000 vehicle have to resort to these lengths to make usable an option that they paid for. This is also a major safety concern, as children can easily suffer heat stroke in the back without proper ventilation. I'm surprised there has not been a louder call for Tesla to make this right. I don't have the option, so am unaffected, but given how vocal owners have been over other issues (drive unit, initial quality, battery, etc.) I am curious as to why nobody is pushing this further with Tesla, the NHTSA, etc.

It's really sad that owners of a $100,000 vehicle have to resort to these lengths to make usable an option that they paid for. This is also a major safety concern, as children can easily suffer heat stroke in the back without proper ventilation. I'm surprised there has not been a louder call for Tesla to make this right. I don't have the option, so am unaffected, but given how vocal owners have been over other issues (drive unit, initial quality, battery, etc.) I am curious as to why nobody is pushing this further with Tesla, the NHTSA, etc.

I think that may be overstating the problem a bit. If the AC is on air is circulating throughout the car and the differential in the back is not *that* great, even in full sun... We also bought the snap-in sun screen for the back which works well and solves the problem if you don't mind darkening the back window a bit. I mainly bough the fan to placate my whiny kids :)

Pat

I think that may be overstating the problem a bit. If the AC is on air is circulating throughout the car and the differential in the back is not *that* great, even in full sun... We also bought the snap-in sun screen for the back which works well and solves the problem if you don't mind darkening the back window a bit. I mainly bough the fan to placate my whiny kids :)

Pat

I was under the impression it was a more serious problem. I've read others write about how their children were sweating profusely, red in the face, and the issue is particularly bad in hot climate areas such as southern California, Arizona, Texas, etc. But as I said, this issue doesn't affect me, but I still think it's unacceptable for owners to be looking for adequate ventilation solutions when this is something Tesla should have done in the first place. There should be a free retrofit offered, or at the least, owners with this option who are not happy should be given refunds.

That's it, I'm off my soapbox. :)

I'm not sure what everyone else is talking about but the third row was pretty much unusable during summer in Chicago (even with the Tesla sunshade, air on recirculate, a fan, and pre-cooling) and now that I've moved to Scottsdale my kids absolutely refuse to ride in the third row in 105° temperature...so yes it is a problem

I'm not sure what everyone else is talking about but the third row was pretty much unusable during summer in Chicago (even with the Tesla sunshade, air on recirculate, a fan, and pre-cooling) and now that I've moved to Scottsdale my kids absolutely refuse to ride in the third row in 105° temperature...so yes it is a problem

I believe you're supposed to switch the air to fresh air mode.. Not even the "auto" setting is recommended.

Pat

i live in Seattle. Seattle. So not even the hottest part of the country and my kids aren't "whiners" and on hot days 80 degrees and up here they'll get out of the car red faced and sweaty with the ac on full blast etc and my husband and I are human Popsicles in the front. We haven't tinted the car. We will next year and see if that makes a difference. We decided to go through this summer and see how it went and well it went....my daughter threw up twice and no not from car sickness from being to hot...she rides back there all the time otherwise and is fine...

my suggestion to those that think it's not THAT hot back there in direct sun....is sit back ther for an hours car ride....maybe you won't be thinking you're placating your whiny kids.

I also believe that the temperature of the third row is a problem. My experiences are in Boston, MA.

I've tinted all the glass in the car using 3M Crystalline at 90% on sides and rear, 70% on sunroof -- effectively, a lighter tint on the windows and rear and a darker tint on the sunroof. The tinting has helped a great deal. That said, it still can grow uncomfortably warm in that third row, even with all ventilation aimed at the rear. The temperature issue has cut down the frequency with which my kid (the one who still fits) sits in that rear seat.

I was under the impression from other forum conversations last year that Tesla, in the form of Elon Musk himself, has both acknowledged the problem is real and promised a re-design. However, I am unable to supply any authoritative citation for these claims. This is one of the few issues with the car that I believe are serious and remain unresolved. And it can only be resolved with a re-design.

I still love the third row option, but am always interested to learn what solutions others have found for improving ventilation in that area.

Thanks,
Alan

It's a real issue. I'm in SoCal, and don't let the kids ride in the back during the summer, except on very short rides. And yes, I've had the windows tinted with Huper Optik and have adjusted the A/C settings as recommended.

Relatedly, I purchased these clip on fans, and the kids said they made a noticable difference.

I ordered the seats in my new car but I too am frustrated about the lack of ventilation. I plan to double-tint and sunshade the back glass, along with the Noggle. It is detachable and just the base stays behind on the vent. Still might not cut it during the AZ summers but the rest of the year it should work.

As AmpedRealtor said, for a $2,500 option on a $100,000 car, it really should be a more functional, VENTILATED third row.

I'm a little bit surprised this hasn't been addressed yet. It's been complained about plenty of times, and I struggle with it myself. Thankfully, the back row is an "option" for me most of the time, so I keep the kids in boosters. But I also keep an inverter and extension cord for a fan just in case it's needed. It's an early generation of a breakthrough automobile, so I can deal with it; but at this point customers ordering the option should reasonably expect a comfortable travel space. This, it is not.

SCDrJ...Let me know how the Noggle works out. We took a drive from Scottsdale to Sedona today and my kids refused to ride in the back (even though it's only 90°!)

And I'm really jealous about the S85D! Thinking of selling my S85...