Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Would this work? Use a snow or stock tire as a temporary spare to keep in frunk.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking about getting snow tire for the MainLine/Philly winter. I had a thought that, depending on the season, I could keep either a 19" snow tire (probably a Pirelli Sottozero3) or 19" Michelin Primacy in the frunk as a temporary spare. I would only drive on this spare tire until I could get the damaged tire fixed or replaced. Any thought about this solution? I know driving mismatched tires is a no no, but this would be on a temporary basis, so I was wonder if this might work. Getting another use out of snow tires might make the cost of same hurt a little less.

For (very) short term use, either a snow or all season tire would let you limp home if needed. If you wanted to use the tire for a few days or few hundred miles, the primary concern is that the tread pattern (and rubber compound) on the spare will have a different level of traction than the other tires. This mismatch could cause handling issues (primarily at highway speeds and / or wet conditions) that you would have to keep in the back of your mind. The Michelin would be the "lesser of two evils" given the rubber compound is closer to that of your standard tires, but we'd still have some concerns.