Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Why does Model S not have a trip computer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have owned my Model S now for a little over 4 months, and driven 13.000 km (about 8.000 miles) with it, and there is something that still surprises me: how come it does not have a trip computer?

I don't mean the measurement of Wh/km, trip counters, and projected range & energy calculations. I mean the good old trip computer features that are present in ICEs:

- Average Speed
- Driven Time (since last charge, or last trip)
- Speed Warning + separate speed warning setting for winter tires (sets a chime that sounds when you exceed a certain speed)

I really miss those 3 on my Model S. :crying:

Anyone know if this is on the "to-do" list from Tesla Motors? This should be a quick fix than can be rolled out by software upgrades.

Agreed. Should be simple enough. Could even feature (user deactivatable of course) "where have I been" mode which saves position data say every 60 seconds. Requires very little storage capacity.

The other thing I'd like to see, which is also a trivial software upgrade is not just TWO trip odos, but as many as I want, say up to 10. Let me name each one, so I can keep track of different legs of a trip. Allow me to toggle them on and off. Add elapsed time and elapsed driving time, stopped time, average MPH, average temp over the leg, etc. Also add a permanent "lifetime" odo with all the same stats, so we don't have to use up one of the trip odos for lifetime wh/m. Also, adding a "regen wh/m" meter would be nice for each odo.

Oh, and while they're at it, store waypoints for each trip odo, so you could easily bring up a map of each one. :)

This is the one feature that I miss from my VW Jetta Sportwagon - just the simple tracking of individual trips (they don't even need to be accumulative). I just want to know the distance traveled, the total time (of car in motion) and some sort of efficiency.

The other thing I'd like to see, which is also a trivial software upgrade is not just TWO trip odos, but as many as I want, say up to 10. Let me name each one, so I can keep track of different legs of a trip. Allow me to toggle them on and off. Add elapsed time and elapsed driving time, stopped time, average MPH, average temp over the leg, etc. Also add a permanent "lifetime" odo with all the same stats, so we don't have to use up one of the trip odos for lifetime wh/m.

^ Yes, this. Typically with trip meters, there is no way to shut them off. You start it, but can never stop it. Your suggestion is something that I too thought of, and could be "easily" implemented. I say easy because I am not a computer programmer, and just assume that it is easy. :wink: It would be awesome to "end" a trip, at which time, a screen would pop-up to ask "Name your trip".

This is the one feature that I miss from my VW Jetta Sportwagon - just the simple tracking of individual trips (they don't even need to be accumulative). I just want to know the distance traveled, the total time (of car in motion) and some sort of efficiency.

Some of this is already there. There is a Trip A and Trip B that mark distance traveled and energy used. What's missing is time and speed.

^ Yes, this. Typically with trip meters, there is no way to shut them off. You start it, but can never stop it. Your suggestion is something that I too thought of, and could be "easily" implemented. I say easy because I am not a computer programmer, and just assume that it is easy. :wink: It would be awesome to "end" a trip, at which time, a screen would pop-up to ask "Name your trip".

I am a computer programmer (among other things), and yes, all the features I mentioned are essentially trivial compared to most of the other functions in the touchscreen and the Model S.

Once Tesla publishes an SDK or API for access to simple things like energy used and miles traveled, it would be trivial to create a third-party app that does all these things.

My beta web app which I need to finish (LogMySc.com) does many of these things, but requires user input for each leg, but doesn't really do the exact same thing as the built-in trip odometers do, or could do automatically.

Shouldn't be too difficult to upgrade the existing readout:
6vAo4il.jpg

I agree it should be an easy thing to do. Seeing as how much seems to have been "borrowed" from Mercedes-Benz I'd like to have the same functionality as my 2009 ML320 Bluetec. I reset "From RESET" and the master trip odometer with fuel purchases. The "From START" display of time travelled and average speed is always interesting no matter how bad the MPG "Fool Computer" lies. After 1017 miles the actual MPG with calculator was 31.1 MPG.

37_MPG.jpg

I find it incredibly annoying that my old cars (VW Passat and a VW Jetta TDi) both had the trip computers. But super perplexed as to why the S doesn't.

Not a major fail on the part of Tesla, but somewhere akin to probably not hiring the best and smartest to work in their software development group.