Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4G in France powered by Orange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah real 4G, fast data connection, which is not to say you'll get 4G everywhere but at least you'll revert back to 3G only every now and then.

But the real question is what the rest of the network is like. 3G is plenty fast enough for everything the car can do, if there is good 3G coverage.

Here in the UK, with the current Telefonica/O2 arrangement, much of the coverage in rural areas is 2G with only GPRS data (not even EDGE). Hence the signal strength indicator in the car can be showing a good signal, but none of the connected features actually work because the data connection is too slow.

4G may become important to us, but for coverage rather than data rate: given that some of the frequency bands allocated for 4G are more suitable for rural coverage than those currently allocated to 3G, so some areas may jump direct from 2G to 4G without ever getting coverage for 3G.

In France 4G is rather good, but consider for an instant not actual state, but future proofing, as in better coverage speed and services.
The thing is the network will only get better, and as things are for present owners (btw I hope I'm wrong, and upgradeability is easy for the network chip) they will not be able to use the 4G speed and services available to new owners, which is a shame for a high-tech car.
The 4G as defined by todays specs, which will certainly improve, will be good enough for what the car can and will probably do for the next 5 years, will see what kind of network speeds and services will be available then.
Coupled that with dual drive, drive assist and let's hope better seats, make for a good HW improvements over the last year's model, which is good for us.
I'll take a 85D brown, air, pano, extended leather, black perf seats and alcantara, sound package, 21" grey, and perhaps the jump seats, as soon as personal finances allow it.
Cheers.

- - - Updated - - -

It's in the opening of the thread ;)

Here in the UK, with the current Telefonica/O2 arrangement, much of the coverage in rural areas is 2G with only GPRS data (not even EDGE). Hence the signal strength indicator in the car can be showing a good signal, but none of the connected features actually work because the data connection is too slow.

I agree; I use O2 myself, and it's unreliable for data. Calls are fine, but half my train journey into work has no 3G coverage.
Maybe they'll change provider in the future.

But the real question is what the rest of the network is like. 3G is plenty fast enough for everything the car can do, if there is good 3G coverage.

4G may become important to us, but for coverage rather than data rate: given that some of the frequency bands allocated for 4G are more suitable for rural coverage than those currently allocated to 3G, so some areas may jump direct from 2G to 4G without ever getting coverage for 3G.

A lot of this was discussed here as well: No LTE in 2014

LTE can work on the 800Mhz band as well, providing a lot better coverage then 3G is currently capable of.

It also not always about the bandwidth, but latency is a key factor. And latency is a LOT lower with LTE.

I have LTE (Vodafone) here in the Netherlands on my iPhone 5S and I would never want to go back to 3G-only.

The real problem will be in a few years when the operators shut down 3G. 4G (LTE) uses the spectrum much better which is the real reason operators in the US have been so pro-actively deploying it. They need to free up spectrum. The sooner they get LTE out, the sooner they can turn off 3G.

At that point we'll have to tether the car to our LTE phones, unless Tesla makes an LTE upgrade available for the older cars.