Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Deposit speculation for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to get my cash together so I'm ready to rock when the time comes. I know opinion varies greatly on when this car will arrive but generally speaking, when is the soonest I might expect to be able to place a deposit? Secondly, is the deposit a flat rate based on a percentage of the MSRP for the base model? Again, I know opinions vary but how much are people expecting to lay down in order to get in line? I don't need the signature series or anything as I've read that didn't exactly work out that great for the S sig owners. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess Tesla doesn't have MSRP on second thought.

I want to get my cash together so I'm ready to rock when the time comes. I know opinion varies greatly on when this car will arrive but generally speaking, when is the soonest I might expect to be able to place a deposit? Secondly, is the deposit a flat rate based on a percentage of the MSRP for the base model? Again, I know opinions vary but how much are people expecting to lay down in order to get in line? I don't need the signature series or anything as I've read that didn't exactly work out that great for the S sig owners. Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

I guess Tesla doesn't have MSRP on second thought.

Just take a look at what they are doing for the S and the X.

OT do you have a "Law Blog"? ;-)

For those that followed the S and X from inception, how early did they start taking deposits before production began? I believe they used this money to help finance production. As the company becomes more established and they become less reliant on customer deposits, do you think the time frame for placing a deposit will be closer to the beginning of production than with previous models?

I would not expect to see the Model 3 or have reservations offered until much closer to actual production compared to Model S and X. Tesla is a much more mature car company now and does not need reservations to fund the development. They would much rather sell cars, which generates far more revenue. Just look at the current situation with the Model X. It was originally unveiled before Model S went into production to generate more buzz for the company, and was only going to be about a year behind it. Now they have to anti-sell it in stores since they would rather a customer buy a Model S now than reserve and wait for a X. Think of how much harder it will be to sell to someone on the fence if they can reserve a car that will cost half as much.

There is no doubt the market for Model 3 will be huge, and they will have no problem selling out the first year of production in no time. However, there's no advantage to Tesla to sell those spots years in advance when they can sell cars instead. The list will fill up just as fast if they wait until the design is mature to show it. Only if another manufacturer is on the verge of offering a true competitor do they need to play their cards sooner, and that seems doubtful despite a lot of talk.

Yeah, I was going to wait and save my pennies for the model 3, but seeing as the gigafactory just got a place to build I would imagine it'll be another 2-3 years before the batteries are being made for that car if even that. So I'm putting that money towards a 35k car I can buy now, sure it's not a 200 mile range car, but my 30 mile round trip commute can be easily handled by the VW e golf. And then I'll be used to EV driving and trade up for the model 3 when it does come out. I wish the model3 was out now because I want to be a part of this awesome company, but for now I'll be a part of the movement to sustainable transportation, with in my attainable means.

For those that followed the S and X from inception, how early did they start taking deposits before production began? I believe they used this money to help finance production. As the company becomes more established and they become less reliant on customer deposits, do you think the time frame for placing a deposit will be closer to the beginning of production than with previous models?

At the time - on the day - the models was unveiled. 2009 for Model S, 2012 for Model X. But as others have stated, Tesla is now a more mature car company, and does not need reservations to fund the development.

As to the size of the deposit my guess is that when the price for the base car is halved, then the deposit also is halved. It was 5000 for the MS/X, so my guess is 2500 for the Model 3. And when the backlog is gone, it will go down still - 1000->1500?

With the Model 3, I wouldn't be surprised is the deposit is used as a way to control the massive influx of buyers. Initially having a higher reservation cost would prevent a backlog so large that people are waiting two or three years for their car. As it stands, people are waiting years for the Models S and X, both of which are averaging 90K+. A Tesla that starts at 35 or 40K is going to have mind blowing sales if the reservation cost is low from day one. I'd like a $2,500 reservation cost, but I fully expect it to be at least twice that initially.

Yeah I don't need the signature series. Didn't the S sig series come with white leather and no option to change? I would have hated that.

The upside is the sig cars may turn out cheaper than production because if (that's a big "if") the $7500 tax credit is still available for the first batch of Model 3, it will certainly be used up VERY fast. I can't imagine there will be any tax credit left within 6 months of Model 3 production. Getting a sig car may be the only way to get the credit (and there's still a chance depending on timing Sig's won't qualify either).

The upside is the sig cars may turn out cheaper than production because ....
I wouldn't bet on it. Not even pennies.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't the S sig series come with white leather and no option to change? I would have hated that.
U.S. market Sig S...
  • Interior leather choices were black, white, and tan (vs. black, gray, and tan for general production).
  • Exterior choices were MC sig red, black, (MC?) white, and (IIRC) silver.
  • Performance was an option, and came with piping on the leather seats just like for general production.
  • Turn signal triangles (2) and the rear shiny bar (chrome?) have an additional "Signature" script.
  • The firmware displays "Signature" in script on the 17" panel and instrument cluster in a few places (like the about box).
  • Generally speaking, Sig cars were delivered to customers before Production; much gnashing of teeth arose because it wasn't strictly true in all cases.
  • For equivalently configured (sans the exclusive color and scripting differnces) production vehicles, the price was $3,550 or $5,050 higher for Signature.
  • There were more than 1,000 U.S. Signatures (contrary to long-published statements of 1,000 on the website) but the 1,200 for North America number AFAIK did stick.

Quick trip down memory lane. I think I got most of it right. If not, someone will send disapproval my way quickly enough I'm sure.

Also of note: Some production vehicles (including marketing/demo vehicles) received some Signature parts, including "stray" Signature-scripted chrome bar/triangles. Also marketing vehicles were sometimes built with feature combinations that weren't configurable by customers via the website at the time.

Initially having a higher reservation cost would prevent a backlog so large that people are waiting two or three years for their car.

Waiting two or three years? Hey, I have waited for this since the unveiling of the Model S - was it in 2009? - about 5 years now, and still three more before they start to produce it! The only difference would be if we wait in line, or wait to get in line....

... or to be more precise - I have been waiting for this about 20 years, but back then I did not know that the car would be named "Tesla"....

Is it practically a fore gone conclusion that there WILL be a Performance Model 3? And to that end a Performance Plus?

Was the performance model available from the get go for the Sig series customers or did that come later? I definitely want a performance model so I'm wondering if that takes me out of the Sig series option anyway. I believe I read the the P85+ came after the P85. Assuming money and speed of delivery was not a factor (I simply wanted the "best" Model S), I would have been pretty bummed to take deliver of my Sig series S only for the company to announce they were coming out with a "better" version.

Seems like the reservation thing could be tricky. Say I had a res for a Sig series Model 3. Then Tesla announces they are coming out with a performance model. I suppose I can just give up my Sig res and get back in line for a performance model? Then they announce a Performance Plus so I do it all over again if I want?

Thanks for all the feedback everybody and not flaming a newb!

Is it practically a fore gone conclusion that there WILL be a Performance Model 3? And to that end a Performance Plus?
On the former, I really hope so. I want a Performance Model 3 so my Sig can, um, "relax" and "just" be a daily/trip driver.
On the latter, I'm not sure it will be needed due to smaller form factor and tech upgrades by the time the vehicle is delivered to customers.

- - - Updated - - -

Was the performance model available from the get go for the Sig series customers or did that come later?
Yes for performance, no for plus. Some Sig owners have paid the ~$25k price to retrofit from P to P+, but not I.

- - - Updated - - -

Seems like the reservation thing could be tricky. Say I had a res for a Sig series Model 3. Then Tesla announces they are coming out with a performance model. I suppose I can just give up my Sig res and get back in line for a performance model? Then they announce a Performance Plus so I do it all over again if I want?
This is one of the challenges of buying anything with technology in it ever. Technology advances. "Old" stuff becomes "outdated" and sometimes "obsolete". I hope/suspect/pray? that Model S remains non-obsolete (even Sigs) for a long time (10+ years), though some would argue Sig S is already outdated. (I'm aware I didn't define either term, but I'm feeling lazy.)

No that is great feedback. I was under the impression the sig series was a bit of a raw deal for the customer but it sounds like it wasn't too bad all things considered. If they offer a Performance Sig model up front then maybe it'll be worth it to be among the first to take delivery knowing that had I waited I may have gotten a similarly configured model for $3,000-$5,000 less. If we are talking a year plus extra wait then I think I'd be on board with the sig. Anything less I'd rather wait.

No that is great feedback. I was under the impression the sig series was a bit of a raw deal for the customer but it sounds like it wasn't too bad all things considered. If they offer a Performance Sig model up front then maybe it'll be worth it to be among the first to take delivery knowing that had I waited I may have gotten a similarly configured model for $3,000-$5,000 less. If we are talking a year plus extra wait then I think I'd be on board with the sig. Anything less I'd rather wait.

Unless they are taking a very large number of sig reservations for the Model 3, the wait for a production one won't be that long. They plan to produce many more of the model 3 than the model S.