Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pioneer AVIC-8000NEX in a 2.5 Roadster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know the answer, but am going to research it to find out. My factory Alpine unit is dying, and I like the features of this Pioneer. I'm also hoping to get better info on Alpine's models that are coming out that support CarPlay as well before I make an upgrade choice.

Is there any reason to get the 8000 over the cheaper ones if your NAV will come from your phone via CarPlay?

That's a good point, but I was just planning on going with the highest end model if I'm going through the trouble to do all this. I'm not sure if this link works, but a comparison from Pioneer is below:

NEX | Pioneer Electronics USA

Looks like the biggest advantage is the 8000 has a capacitive touchscreen whereas the others have a resistive touchscreen.

I see the 8000 on sale at Amazon for around $950, which is a lot better than the MSRP of about $1400.

I'm planning on putting this head unit into my 2.0. I bought an Elise dash and just had it modified. I also picked up a double DIN binnacle from another member here. Just waiting on the vents and ducts to come in and then I'll get it installed.

I'm no longer happy with my single din flip up pioneer and want to use CarPlay with a capacitive touchscreen.

Do you know if the person you purchased the double din from has any more? Also, did the elise dash fit perfectly or did it have to be modified (other than the modifications to fit a double din).

I'm no longer happy with my single din flip up pioneer and want to use CarPlay with a capacitive touchscreen.

Do you know if the person you purchased the double din from has any more? Also, did the elise dash fit perfectly or did it have to be modified (other than the modifications to fit a double din).

I'm pretty sure the other member doesn't have more of the double-DINs. Mine isn't installed yet. If I can get it 3D printed and spray painted black would that be of any use? I'll attach some pics below of the Double-DIN binnacle (it's 2 pieces), the modified Elise dash, and a picture of the dash fitted in a Lotus Elise. I don't anticipate any issues installing it in my Roadster. My only concern is that my existing Roadster dash is wrapped in black leather and the Lotus Elise dash is just plastic. I'll attach those pics below, too:

Double DIN and Lotus Elise Dash:

IMG_6689.jpg

Modified Dash:

image.jpe

Modified Dash installed in a Lotus Elise:

image-2.jpe

My existing 2.0 Roadster dash (the stitching seems to indicate to me that it's leather):

IMG_6741.jpg

IMG_6745.jpg

My roadster is all plastic inside, no leather wrapped parts. So it seems the lotus dash will fit my needs just fine. Now to find a reasonably priced double din binnacle.

You can also just have your existing dash modified. I believe they just cut it with a router. Al and Ed's in West Hollywood can do the conversion and sell or install all the needed parts. I was going to go with them, but I would have had to ship my Roadster from Phoenix to West Hollywood and back, and the roundtrip shipping cost + install exceeded my budget.

I found a shop in Ohio and I shipped them the Lotus dash. They offered to modify my existing dash or just send me the template. I opted for the Lotus route since I don't trust myself to do the work on my own and I didn't want to mess with my leather wrapped dash.

You have some options.

Roadster 1.5 with double din and Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX

I'm new to the forum, so I hope I can contribute. I purchased my Roadster 1.5 #419 a month ago with only 9700 miles. It had the hardtop and JVC, and was very well taken care of by the owner in Oklahoma City. Believing that this could one day be a piece of history, I immediately invested in the carbon fiber interior pieces before they become unavailable. The parts guys in Fremont were extremely helpful! My only disappointment has been the JVC radio which has a very poor user interface. I also wanted a back-up camera as I am backing in to charge at work most days. The guys at a local custom shop, Walnut Creek Customs, recommended changing to the double din and the Pioneer AVIC 8000NEX. My wife is amazing at following up on things and was able to corral the parts we needed, including a carbon fiber double din bezel, new dash with cut-out for the higher vents, and the bezel to cover the longer vents as well as the vents themselves. The custom shop still had to cut the aluminum dash frame for the larger radio, and make a bracket to hold the new radio, but the results were great. Having driven with the new radio for a week now, I really love it! The bluetooth works great with my iPhone 6, so Apple CarPlay becomes almost unnecessary. It was nice to have Siri reading and transcribing texts during a longer drive from work the other day, but Apple CarPlay seems a little more buggy than the Pioneer system, so I may use the Pioneer interface for now because it works so well.
IMG_0674.jpg
IMG_0675.jpg

Roadster 1.5 #419, MS 85 #56150, 1976 Cessna 414

Attachments

• Dbl DIN.jpg
    Dbl DIN.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 318
  • Interior.jpg
    Interior.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 311
Looks great! Congrats and thanks for the report. Can't wait to get mine done. It really is like a scavenger hunt getting all the parts for the conversion. It takes time and persistence.

Look like you have guidance lines on your backup camera? Is that specific to the head unit or the backup camera you installed?

@Aztec250, your upgrades look great! I am in San Mateo and recently purchased #425 and am envious of your very nice upgrades Maybe someday we can meet up. I can't afford to do all that any time soon, but hope to eventually. Love that huge rear view camera in a Roadster! After owning a Model S for nearly a year I am spoiled.

Look like you have guidance lines on your backup camera? Is that specific to the head unit or the backup camera you installed?
The guidance lines are from the head unit. It is a fairly simple process to lay tape lines behind the car, then use the screen on the head unit to match them. The lines are steeply angled because the camera is so low to the ground (like everything in this fun little car). The custom shop mounted the camera on the bottom of the license plate, so no holes in the car and it is very subtle. They are mounting a forward camera today, so I don't run up onto curbs and damage the car like I did my BMW. I may be able to get some pictures of the camera mounts later and post them if anyone is interested.
For "ecarfan", yes San Mateo isn't too far, and it would be fun to compare notes sometime as our cars are very similar vintage. My daughter (who is the one who found this car for me on eBay) really likes the "Very Orange" color.

Thanks for the info. I already have a backup camera added to my 2.0. It doesn't look great on the tiny JVC but it's better than nothing. Should look a lot better on the Pioneer and good to know the back up line setup is easy.

Two more quick questions:

1) What wiring harness did you need to get the Pioneer wired to the existing Roadster wiring? Is it a Lotus one or is there actually a Tesla wiring harness?

2) Did you replace the dock connector cable with a lightning cable to the same spot?

WHO and where did you DO the work? and can you show US some pics?!
Dashboard upgrade has been made by Tesla SC. They fixed rear view camera and cable to dashboard. Did AVIC installation myself. Could use supplied harness but had to solder some wires. Roadster subwoofer amp needs remote power and RCA audio from head unit.
And yes, it takes some time, at least for the first time :).

IMG_4431.jpg
IMG_4432.jpg
IMG_4424.jpg
IMG_4427.jpg
IMG_4428.jpg
IMG_4429.jpg
IMG_4430.jpg

If you don't want the expense of a double-din upgrade, Walnut Creek Customs switched out my JVC in #783 for a single-din flip out unit (Pioneer AVH-P6300BT) and put in front/rear cameras so that might be another option for you ecarfan. That unit is a lot better than the Alpine unit (double-din) that I have now in #970 since it could basically display any app you had on your iphone (Waze, netflix, etc.)

@Aztec250, your upgrades look great! I am in San Mateo and recently purchased #425 and am envious of your very nice upgrades  Maybe someday we can meet up. I can't afford to do all that any time soon, but hope to eventually. Love that huge rear view camera in a Roadster! After owning a Model S for nearly a year I am spoiled.