Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warren Buffett Bought Autodealership Van Tuyl Group

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ggies07

Nov 8, 2012
DFW
Warren Buffett gets into auto dealers in big way

The billionaire investor announced on CNBC on Thursday that he's buying Van Tuyl Group, the nation's largest privately held car dealership chain.

Another article: Buffett: I bought stocks in Wednesdays big selloff

He said he buys businesses that he thinks will be good for the next 50 years—such as the deal he announced on CNBC Thursday that he's buying the nation's largest privately held car dealership group, Van Tuyl Group.

I've read Warren's books and strategies on investing and follow his methods and even have some shares of his company, but this? Since Tesla is having so much trouble and the dealership thing is a joke anyway for EVs, not sure......wondering if he's buying into the game to push whatever product is in BYD.

There was a CNBC discussion this morning with someone from the Dealers Association and he was practically beaming with joy at the thought of Buffett's support in fighting Tesla.

And this is exactly what I don't want to happen....This is why I can't believe he bought into this area of business AND the whole idea of it. If this should happen to become a big deal, just like divesting in fossil fuels, I will divest my money from Berkshire.

The Wall Street Journal article this morning said the dealer group he bought sells 240,000 cars per year. He's going to use it as a base for buying up lots of individual dealers or small groups. If dealers lose their "mom and pop" image (which hasn't been true for a long time, but NADA tries to perpetuate that image), it will be much harder for local politicians to justify supporting protective laws when it's protecting Warren Buffett's megacompany.

Yeah, this is probably just a way for BYD to enter the US market.

If this were about BYD he could set up an independent company and sign a franchise deal with BYD.

I don't think it is. I'm sure that it's as simple as seeing that there's money to be made with new car franchises, especially because the luxury car market is the growth area. New car dealers make their real money on everything except the sale, so even if laws were liberalized, a good, large chain would be able to move into outsourcing and still make money.

Yeah, this is probably just a way for BYD to enter the US market.

I'd be surprised if that's his intent. By having any association between BYD and the dealerships, wouldn't he then risk running afoul of the same dealership/manufacturer laws that Tesla is fighting?

I realize it could be a gray area since he only has partial (10%?) ownership interest in BYD, but I imagine that won't stop the dealership groups from trying to interfere.