Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My car has been voided...need help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So purchased a Tesla Roadster from CA about 2 months ago and it came with HOV stickers. Well I finally got around to taking them off tonight. I took a blow dryer to one of the stickers in order to loosen up the adhesive. Well, it kind of worked. Portions of sticker did not want to come off. Interestingly it spelled out VOID!!! CA's method of preventing any transfer of stickers to another car. I tried to rub it off with a wet microfiber cloth but felt I was rubbing too hard and afraid of causing too many scratches. Unfortunately there are 2 more HOV stickers which I decided not to remove because the stickers look better than the small voids everywhere. Has anyone dealt with this issue and can give me advise on how to remove these tiny stickers without causing too much damage?
tesla void sticker2.jpg

I like Goo-Gone for adhesive removal. Hasn't damaged paint on any of my cars. If there is a bit of paper sticking to the adhesive I wet a paper towel with the product and leave it on the sticker to help get penetration down to the adhesive. It's made from citrus, so it's somewhat natural as well.

I have not had a particular CA emissions sticker in my hand but I presume they are similar to most. I would first soften the sticker with a hair dryer and then move to a heat gun (must exercise care or have experience here) if necessary to help with removal of the sticker like you did. I would then try a basic "Bug and Tar" removal liquid to remove any residual adhesive. If the mild "Bug and Tar" does not work, I would then move towards a professional grade Spies Hecker "Panel Wipe & Silicone Remover" or BASF AM900 "Pre-Kleano". None of these chemicals should require you to exert any pressure against your painted surface.

Since you have an awesome Roadster, you may consider taking it to a body shop where they can make quick time of this removal. However, I would make an appointment and WAIT for your car as we are seeing too many instances of auto installers/repair shops joyriding Teslas.

Good-Luck !

btw, none of the aforementioned products will remove any clear or paint

Last edited:
I also have these stickers on my car, I live in Arizona. I am considering whether or not to remove them, if I leave them on and drive to California are they valid? Or are they only valid if the license plate is also California? If they won't be valid, I'll remove them of course...

Also, what about the California free parking sticker in my back window, is that still valid?

I also have these stickers on my car, I live in Arizona. I am considering whether or not to remove them, if I leave them on and drive to California are they valid? Or are they only valid if the license plate is also California? If they won't be valid, I'll remove them of course...

Also, what about the California free parking sticker in my back window, is that still valid?

The car has to be registered in CA to get the stickers in the first place, but I would think they would still be valid even if the car changed registration state (but IANAL). I can't believe the CHP would stop you anyway, unless they wanted to stop you for something else, in which case they'll always find a reason.

The free parking sticker in the back window is no longer needed for anyone, you can certainly remove that and still park in EV-only spots.

Try Griot's Adhesive Remover Its definitely paint friendly - I used it when I de-badged my Model S.

Yeah, Griot's has high-quality products. It would not surprise me if they are using a re-labeled pro-grade product that I previously mentioned.

Tesla 940,
I was shocked to see several nice looking cars in the parking lot in Monterey at '14 TMCCONNECT with sometimes as many 4-5 of these hideous stickers applied to them.

Last edited: