Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anybody carry a spare tire in the "Frunk"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my search across the interwebs, I came across a picture of someone with a full size spare in the "Frunk" (I can't find it now). Anybody else do this? Would it have any noticeable effects on your driving dynamics?

It should help the weight bias by getting a bit closer to 50/50. Though the diff is about 250# F-R. Tesla told me that it can carry a 19" deflated wheel/tire combo. Is your tire inflated? I have 21's, so I'm SOL on that. I think it's a really good idea to carry one. I have my doubts about the tire inflater flat fixer thing, which I am sure I'll need with the big wheels at some point. Ug.

How will carrying a spare in the frunk (or anything else, for that matter) affect crash safety? It seems like it would reduce the crumple zone.

If you've ever seen pictures of front-end damaged Model S vehicles, the frunk is completely destroyed in most cases. My guess is the crumple zone design will still work as desired unless you fill the frunk up with solidified titanium or something equally ridiculous.

I have a compact spare that I made using an 18" BMW wheel and a correctly sized compact spare tire. There's a thread about it somewhere that I will try and dig up.

Carrying a spare reduces the frunk's utility, but maybe not as much as being scared of denting the frunk every time you use it.

I have a compact spare that I made using an 18" BMW wheel and a correctly sized compact spare tire. There's a thread about it somewhere that I will try and dig up.

Carrying a spare reduces the frunk's utility, but maybe not as much as being scared of denting the frunk every time you use it.

My thoughts exactly. If the frunk becomes the permanent storage spot for a spare tire, I won't have a reason to open it as often. Therefore, I won't have to sweat the dreaded hood dent every time I close it.

Thanks to JST and the above thread a few months ago, I now have a donut spare in the frunk - BMW donut wheel and VW Tiguan rubber. And so that I can continue to use the remaining space for cargo, it is wrapped in an adjustable BMW spare tire cover and placed with the wheel cavity facing up thus leaving me a fair-sized hollow in addition to the "cave" in back. To save more space, my accessories (scissors jack, wrench, hockey pucks, wood slab, inflator, etc.) are stored in the trunk footwell with lots of room still left over. I have not noticed any deterioration in handling or acceleration. I should mention that the additional weight of the spare in the frunk is balanced by my golf equipment in the trunk (or the wife's loot when we go to Costco). :biggrin:

Last edited:
What happens if you damage your rim?
In past few years i never replaced tires, only rims, due to pothole damage

Well then I guess I'm screwed.

Only once in my life have I had to replace a rim and a tire due to a sink-hole sized pothole on the Tappan-Zee bridge. In the rain. At night. In a suit.

And I've had several bent rims due to potholes, but not also blowing out a tire (car is still driveable). And since the car is drivable, I could drive home, and get the rim repaired while using a backup car.

But what is much more common is that I've had many flat tires due to road hazards, usually far from home. And in those cases, because I've usually been driving cars that take non-standard tires and/or non-standard sizes, I've been forced to replace two (or sometimes all four tires in the case of an AWD vehicle) at the nearest tire shop just in order to get back on the road... no luxury of ordering from TireRack... and in those cases, the available selection of tires is usually just the one model they have in stock that will fit my car. So I've had to sacrifice two good matching performance tires for two non-optimal tires just to get driving again. And in one case, the replacements speed rating didn't match the rear tires, so when I did get home, I had to scrap the two NEW tires for proper matching replacements. (That was on a Mercedes SLK350 Sport).

I do NOT want to repeat that with the Tesla, especially with 21" rims. What kind of tires is your average tire shop going to have in the 245/45/21 size? One, if I'm lucky, and it's not going to match my other tires (Hankook Ventus V12 evo2s).

So I carry an exact spare tire in the frunk, so in case of a road hazard flat, I can just take my car and my spare tire to any tire shop and get the tire replaced with the exact, proper tire.

I live in fear of the Frunk Dent every day. But Joe Torbati gave me a great tip: Take large microfibre cloth and lay that on the hood and then press gently to close it. Tends to minimize the pressure against the ridiculously thin AL hood. I will say that when they finally come out with a power lift, as they should have from the start, I will most likely pop for it. Without it, based on the flimsy design (which is inexcusable in my opinion), I'll probably go for it.

Otherwise, I ain't usin' the damn thing.