Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torque without Back EMF - Steorn launching new motor technology called E-Orbo.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

What do you make of the company Steorn that is launching a new motor technology called E-Orbo?

It seems pretty interesting to me.

They claim their motor is over 100% efficient.

Here is a video they have posted.

Introduction to an Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction - Part 1

YouTube - Introduction to an Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction - Part 1

Their demo is starting back up at the Waterways center in Dublin this week. More videos are supposed to be posted.

Welcome to the club!

I'm not at all clear what problem they're trying to solve; as I understand it, the back-emf acts against the controller requiring a higher voltage to continue acceleration.

Website at Steorn - Convenient, Clean and Constant supply of Energy, more details on WIKI: Steorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had a look round the site; I was unable to find a demonstration application. Nor any practical notes on performance, can a real world motor producing useful work be created or is the output limited to some function of gravity?

They seem to be selling access to the designs for EUR419.

When scientists discover something, it gets circulated in the scientific journals and, if it breaks current thinking on physics, it gets noticed.

When scientists discover something they don’t usually reach for the marketing department to knock them up a nice website and set up a SDK program.

Call me a skeptic and let me know what am I missing. More to be learned, I look forward to the unfolding of this story. I hope they’re not a bunch of crooks, the last thing the EV world needs is more crooks.

It looks like a scam to me. It reminds me of the Dean Drive. The inventor wanted to be paid up front before he would demonstrate it.

It was said Dean was afraid his invention would be stolen from him. Such fears might not have been groundless. If the invention was simple but unobvious then it could be easily reinvented.

The interval wiper might be one example. Robert Kearns real contribution was the idea, not its implementation. The cat was out of the bag once another engineer heard of the idea.

If Dean was smart enough to invent a reactionless drive he should have been smart enough to make it impossible to cheat him.

A copy of the plans and photographs of the device in the hands of a neutral third party ahead of time should do it. Have a lawyer put a sealed package in a bank safety deposit box. If you're really paranoid do this with several different lawyers and banks.

A reactionless drive would be worth trillions eventually. Smart people would not want to cheat the inventor.

If Steorn has something real they should be willing to show everything in exchange for a contract specifying royalties. By all means take precautions.

Welcome to the club!

I'm not at all clear what problem they're trying to solve; as I understand it, the back-emf acts against the controller requiring a higher voltage to continue acceleration.

Website at Steorn - Convenient, Clean and Constant supply of Energy, more details on WIKI: Steorn - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I had a look round the site; I was unable to find a demonstration application. Nor any practical notes on performance, can a real world motor producing useful work be created or is the output limited to some function of gravity?

They seem to be selling access to the designs for EUR419.

When scientists discover something, it gets circulated in the scientific journals and, if it breaks current thinking on physics, it gets noticed.

When scientists discover something they don’t usually reach for the marketing department to knock them up a nice website and set up a SDK program.

Call me a skeptic and let me know what am I missing. More to be learned, I look forward to the unfolding of this story. I hope they’re not a bunch of crooks, the last thing the EV world needs is more crooks.

Check out the latest video they have posted. It has a lot of additional information.

Steorn's Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction COP is greater than 1. Part 1 of 5

YouTube - 1/5 Steorn's Orbo Electromagnetic Interaction COP is greater than 1

Oh, god. I wasted far too much of my life on the blatant flim-flam that was the last set of videos that attempted "proof through Star Trek like jargon and ignoring any real questions". I assume that once again, there wasn't a physicist in the room?

They claim to have proven that the E-Orbo is overunity.

If I'm not mistaken, "overunity" is a really useful term. It means that they're claiming that their engine/widget/EMF-back-whatever-thingy has efficiency > 1, i.e., that the energy coming out is bigger than the energy going in.

I say it's useful because as soon as someone claims it, you can forevermore safely ignore them as either a fool or (more likely) a scam artist. They don't really have a device that violates conservation of energy. (And if they did, they'd be too busy collecting their Nobel in Physics to try to sell it to you on the internet.)